Options

Commentary The London Marathon 2015

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Steve Cram and Brendan Foster, would be ideal candidates for the BBC Radio 4 panel game, "Just a minute."
Let alone, "just a minute," they can rabbit on without a pause, for the best part of four naffin' hours.
Never make the point once, if you can do it in three different ways?
I selected the "no commentary option," (the mute button).

Otherwise, the pictures as usual, told well their own story.

Comments

• Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Things obviosly kicked off when the runners were under that tunnel, unfortunately we missed it all.
  • Options
    UlchabhanUlchabhan Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    BBC Marathon coverage = nauseating sycophancy. There were tens of thousands of runners out there, Ratcliffe was just one of them.

Once the elite race is over, people want general views so they can try to spot their family and friends in the field, they want to laugh at the costumes, they want to hear the stories behind the charities that people are running for, they want to see minor celebrities looking uncomfortable: they do not want a promotion for the next stage of a BBC commentators after dinner speaking career.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ulchabhan wrote: »
    BBC Marathon coverage = nauseating sycophancy. There were tens of thousands of runners out there, Ratcliffe was just one of them.

Once the elite race is over, people want general views so they can try to spot their family and friends in the field, they want to laugh at the costumes, they want to hear the stories behind the charities that people are running for, they want to see minor celebrities looking uncomfortable: they do not want a promotion for the next stage of a BBC commentators after dinner speaking career.

I suggest you look harder because on 980 ( or red button channel ) there are shots of all the finishing lines plus the BBC coverage interviewing runners

And it's Radcliffe not Ratcliffe.

And please don't speak for everyone. When you say 'people want' I don't, I'm very happy with the coverage.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the same every year. At around midday people take to the internet to complain about how the coverage is too biased towards the elite fields and they're not showing enough of the masses. Seemingly oblivious to the fact the broadcast runs until 2.30pm. Once the elite races are over they switch to the masses.

In total there were 6 hours of live coverage and a decent highlights package plus the red button stuff. No other marathon in the world has that level of coverage... especially of the masses. It's the best marathon coverage there is... even if the commentary is full of cliches.

My only complain this year was the quality of the video feed seemed really poor. Regular breaking up of the signal even in non tunnel areas.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My only complain this year was the quality of the video feed seemed really poor. Regular breaking up of the signal even in non tunnel areas.

For the Tour de France and other such events they usually use a helicopter or plane overhead to relay the signals on, perhaps the BBC had skimped on this.