Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    PERILLA wrote: »
    How old are Carla and Nick supposed to be? At the "wine tasting" they were constantly repeating "the bosomy one" and giggling like 8 year olds. I know they were supposed to be flirting but honestly how stupid was that :(
    I think I would be the same. :blush:
    m-river wrote: »
    She was a wino and still is, she said once that she could never stop drinking and didn't want to or something. Which is fair play, she practically baths in it now aswell

It is actually quite realistic for someone to have several attempts to stop drinking and to be in denial.
    It would be nice if they showed a bit more of the effects it has on her.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's got me thinking mind - two characters in the Street with effectively the same name! Isn't that against the rules?! ;)

At one time it seemed if you wanted to be a Rovers barmaid you had to be christened Elizabeth. Bet Lynch, Betty Turpin, Liz Mcdonald...
  • Options
    cedricthedogcedricthedog Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my school in the seventies the dinner break was ninety minutes, which gave enough time to get the bus home, have a can of Heinz cheese and onion soup and watch an episode of General Hospital :D

For some reason that planted the music from the Hovis advert into my head! (and now it's in everyone else's! ;) )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Carla seems to have taken over tina's role of just walking up and down the street all day, bumping into people. Though why she should be in the gym, god only knows.

Actually, I'm surprised she hasn't interacted with callum, who also seems to be on the street whenever sarah leaves the house.

I was thinking, when Carla mentioned to Nick that she'd seen Sarah with Callum in the gym, how does she even know him, as AFAIK, she's not actually interacted with him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PERILLA wrote: »
    How old are Carla and Nick supposed to be? At the "wine tasting" they were constantly repeating "the bosomy one" and giggling like 8 year olds. I know they were supposed to be flirting but honestly how stupid was that :(

Ham-fisted attempt to telegraph their growing affection for one another? Every time they meet and talk, it's all pointless gushy nonsense! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At one time it seemed if you wanted to be a Rovers barmaid you had to be christened Elizabeth. Bet Lynch, Betty Turpin, Liz Mcdonald...
    Maybe working behind the bar is Beth Tinker's destiny? I think she would be rather good.
    For some reason that planed the music from the Hovis advert into my head! (and now it's in everyone else's! ;) )

:D:D:D
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,644
    Forum Member
    Maybe working behind the bar is Beth Tinker's destiny? I think she would be rather good.

According to Wikipedia her name's actually Bethan rather than Elizabeth...

(Which makes her and Bethany's names even closer.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davads wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia her name's actually Bethan rather than Elizabeth...

(Which makes her and Bethany's names even closer.)

yes it does, doesn't it? I think Bethan is derived from Bethany and has nothing to do with "Elizabeth"
    I think Bethany should call herself Betty or Annie for short. ;-)
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always notice that all wall lights, table lamps, etc. are switched on in the Platt's and Rovers all through the day. Why?
    Also, is it credible that a woman of Erica's age woulg get pregnant? I don't know her soap age, but her child-bearing days look long gone.
  • Options
    coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always notice that all wall lights, table lamps, etc. are switched on in the Platt's and Rovers all through the day. Why?
    Also, is it credible that a woman of Erica's age would get pregnant? I don't know her soap age, but her child-bearing days look long gone.
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always notice that all wall lights, table lamps, etc. are switched on in the Platt's and Rovers all through the day. Why?.

Also they come on when somebody turns the lights on by the wall switch. All TV programmes do that
  • Options
    Toffee_AppleToffee_Apple Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Re. Bethany and her make up/short skirt.

I left school 7 years ago and although it wasn't strictly allowed, many of the girls wore full faces of make up, skirts that could pass as belts, shirts unbuttoned to just above the cleavage etc. Eventually no one could be bothered to tell them off anymore, if they sent them all home the school would be half empty.

However, I did go to one of the worst schools in Cornwall, I don't know how good Weathy High is supposed to be,
  • Options
    caroilcaroil Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    yes it does, doesn't it? I think Bethan is derived from Bethany and has nothing to do with "Elizabeth"
    I think Bethany should call herself Betty or Annie for short. ;-)

Bethan is the Welsh name for Elizabeth
  • Options
    ayrshire lassayrshire lass Posts: 4,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Bethany was always referred to as Beth, if I can remember rightly. Everytime I see the horrible brat that is the new one, I always picture the quiet shy kid who hardly ever spoke ( although she was a poor actress, I suppose) . Unbelievable that we are supposed to think that this is how she turned out, and she was rather a big kid for her age, and quite a plain looking little girl, so there is no way she would have looked like this now, it's so far fetched!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The original Bethany was always referred to as Beth, if I can remember rightly. Everytime I see the horrible brat that is the new one, I always picture the quiet shy kid who hardly ever spoke ( although she was a poor actress, I suppose) . Unbelievable that we are supposed to think that this is how she turned out, and she was rather a big kid for her age, and quite a plain looking little girl, so there is no way she would have looked like this now, it's so far fetched!

Every young character in soap seems to have to grow up into a "hunk" or a "babe"...
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of names has Fayes baby got a name yet, have I missed it.
    Tim keeps gooing over it and pics but havent heard its name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sherisgirl wrote: »
    Talking of names has Fayes baby got a name yet, have I missed it.
    Tim keeps gooing over it and pics but havent heard its name.

Miley. After the Cyrus.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re. Bethany and her make up/short skirt.

I left school 7 years ago and although it wasn't strictly allowed, many of the girls wore full faces of make up, skirts that could pass as belts, shirts unbuttoned to just above the cleavage etc.

Please tell me the name and location of the school. I fancy a trip to Cornwall ;-) ;-)
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davads wrote: »
    Miley. After the Cyrus.

:eek: I suppose it had to be really, thanks really missed that one.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Our local schools tend to see skirt wearing as a privilege and if girls abuse it by wearing belts they can only wear trousers.

Could they make Beth more one dimensional if they tried? Of course she couldn't just go to school in sensible uniform and work hard, heaven forbid.

I've just had a letter from the school banning skirts altogether from September.

Agreed - completely one dimensional, and dull!
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember what Bethany's middle name is though! :D

:D:D yes, I had forgotten!!
  • Options
    Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Does anyone on here know why David persists in calling his mum "Gail" quite frequently, most recently at the cemetery. It's naff and I just fail to understand it. :confused:

I think in the past grown ups called their parents by their names. Not so much nowadays, but I've got a 24 year old nephew who calls his parents by their first names. I think in David's case it was originally to show his lack of respect for his mother. So I don't find anything wrong with it and don't agree it's naff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long does it take to make a curry? Roy mentioned it earlier in the day, then was working in the cafe before going on his driving lesson but when he got back everything was ready for eating! And he'd managed to get all the ingredients!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my school in the seventies the dinner break was ninety minutes, which gave enough time to get the bus home, have a can of Heinz cheese and onion soup and watch an episode of General Hospital :D

Cheese and onion soup? :confused:

Never heard of it.

Crisps, though....
  • Options
    HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree Boz - increasingly, David calling his mum Gail is the best thing about an ep! Cracks me up :D

Otherwise...

Sarah, please stop pouting and smirking and flirting and eye-flashing at Callum. it's doing my head in. I don't care if it's in the script.

Who wrote Wednesday's ep? There were so many forced and unlikely lines of dialogue. Bethany making Colombo references. Norris wittering about Titchy Spider. Roy and fancy woman going into a posh-off: "I was perchance willing to furnish you with a bacon barm but it appears you have vacated the premises" "No matter, I recalled an urgent engagement" -type stuff.

Lamentable.
This discussion has been closed.