Kitten being neutered

fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My male Siamese kitten is being "done" tomorrow. What should I expect him to be like afterwards? I also have his sister, should I separate them? She is being spewed next week. I guess convalescience is longer for the female?

Comments

• x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are they? It depends whether they are "active" yet, as they won't care if they are brother and sister! The vet will be able to answer that better. I had my six month old Persians (also brother and sister) done at the same time. Apart from being a bit scared of being in the carrier and smelling of the vets, they were pretty much back to their normal selves running around. You probably won't notice much in the boy, my girl had a big patch of her lovely long fur missing with an incision in the side. There are no stitches invoked (apart from some dissolvable ones inside the girl).

I know it's a different breed but I hope that helps.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    My male Siamese kitten is being "done" tomorrow. What should I expect him to be like afterwards? I also have his sister, should I separate them? She is being spewed next week. I guess convalescience is longer for the female?

That should be interesting :D:D

My two cats were both spayed and the first night they were a bit quiet and slept a lot and then back to normal pretty fast.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on which anesthetic they use he may be dopey or out of it or he may just be tired. Put him in a quiet room, give him shredded newspaper instead of kitty litter and a small bowl of water. He probably won't be interested in food. He should be much more himself the next morning.
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I collected him and brought him home the Beast was very 'dopey' and a bit pathetic. He crawled out of his carry box and flopped on a blanket, very sorry for himself.

When he got up he just wandered about, not up to much

It lasted a few days. I was a bit concerned, because I wanted the Beast to be the Beast I had brought home weeks before; an annoying little git with spirit. (be care what you wish for:p:D)

But then he perked up, and the rest is history.

A part of me thinks that is why he is such an embarrassing nightmare on his subsequent, albeit rare visits to the vets.

He is probably scared shitless that he will leave without his tail:D:D:D
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are they? It depends whether they are "active" yet, as they won't care if they are brother and sister! The vet will be able to answer that better. I had my six month old Persians (also brother and sister) done at the same time. Apart from being a bit scared of being in the carrier and smelling of the vets, they were pretty much back to their normal selves running around. You probably won't notice much in the boy, my girl had a big patch of her lovely long fur missing with an incision in the side. There are no stitches invoked (apart from some dissolvable ones inside the girl).

I know it's a different breed but I hope that helps.

Thanks for that, they are 5 months. The vet suggesting doing him early as she is showing signs of being in season. He has been there all day and she has cried for him all day! She Is used to him obeying her every command. They are cutting his claws, putting in a chip and worming and fleeing him. What a big bill I am going to have.
    Her turn next week, I expect he will be glad for a bit of peace.!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, fingers crossed he is like all of yours, although he is a bit of a wuss.
  • xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was drowsy and ill for a few days before going back to normal.

the vet fitted her with a collar that was making her itch to stop her licking the stitches, we figured out it was annoying her after 3 days, when we took it off she perked up quite a lot.

she also stopped using the litter tray the first night when she done diarrhoea on the carpet which had blood in it,

She was so lazy the first night, we even had to bring the food bowl to her bed for her to eat.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was neutered at five months. When the vet phoned after the op she said he had "recovered well from the anaesthetic" which turned out to mean he was being a little bugger. Once we got him home, we tried for a few hours to stop him running about and jumping onto things and then gave up. You honestly wouldn't have known he had anything done at all. I was all ready to sit and cuddle this pathetic little kitten and ending up spending a normal evening pulling his claws out of my leg.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess all cats are different but my boy kitten was full of beans and resumed his running around as soon as he got home a few hours after his op, I was really quite amazed! If I hadn't have been at home at the time, I wouldn't have believed it. The little girl kitten was spayed not long ago and she was sleepy for a while (I'm told) but that's normal obviously.

I was very worried for both as I'm a worrier in general but they were fine and I'm sure yours will be too!
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was neutered at five months. When the vet phoned after the op she said he had "recovered well from the anaesthetic" which turned out to mean he was being a little bugger. Once we got him home, we tried for a few hours to stop him running about and jumping onto things and then gave up. You honestly wouldn't have known he had anything done at all. I was all ready to sit and cuddle this pathetic little kitten and ending up spending a normal evening pulling his claws out of my leg.

LOL sounds a bit like my little scamp, except for the claws and leg part
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid this won't be much help, but there's no way of knowing! You'd have thought so, what with spaying being basically a hysterectomy. We had a 5-month old kitten "done" and the vet said that she'd probably be a bit subdued the first evening. Not a bit of it! It was a nightmare trying to stop her from doing all the things that she shouldn't do, like jumping on things, jumping off things, running up and down the stairs. "A bit subdued" my foot!

On the other hand, I've known of cats who have been groggy for a day or two afterwards, so the only answer I can give is that it very much depends on the cat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly the same here! My "poor little kitten" charged around was starving hungry and fought with his sister.;-) I only hope sha is the same this week when it is her turn.but I fear not,it's a bigger op for the female.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I have had 2 kittens neutered. A tom and a female. They both leaped about like mad.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    I'm afraid this won't be much help, but there's no way of knowing! You'd have thought so, what with spaying being basically a hysterectomy. We had a 5-month old kitten "done" and the vet said that she'd probably be a bit subdued the first evening. Not a bit of it! It was a nightmare trying to stop her from doing all the things that she shouldn't do, like jumping on things, jumping off things, running up and down the stairs. "A bit subdued" my foot!

On the other hand, I've known of cats who have been groggy for a day or two afterwards, so the only answer I can give is that it very much depends on the cat.

Both of my girls were like this whereas my tomcat was running around like a loony within an hour of collecting him from the vet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Both of my girls were like this whereas my tomcat was running around like a loony within an hour of collecting him from the vet.

I guess it's because the boys don't have any stitches. I think the little sister will be a right prima Donna.
  • SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    My female cat was neutered at about 7 months and was one of those who was completely back to normal as soon as she got home. It was hard to believe she'd just had an operation as she ran around the house having eaten a good dinner :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When my wee boy was done the vet told me he may be off his food for a day or two. As soon as we got home he jumped out his cat box and sat by his food dish, had his food and still wanted some of mine
  • kattkatt Posts: 10,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

my girl was spayed and the vet advised she would be sleepy, not overly hungry for 24 hours - was she heck!

little bugger was no different, bounced out of her carry case, raced around the house several times, wolfed down a bowl of food and then played for a few hours

she eventually flopped down on my lap and slept but if her fur hadnt have been shaved and the stitches showing, you would never have known she had just been spayed!!

hope your little ones are ok
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago I had a male cat who immediately peed on my husband's suede jacket when we brought him home! He'd never done anything like that before and never did it again. We figured it was pure revenge. :D
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Sillypad was bombing it around pretty much straight away after coming back from the vets. I thought she was going to give herself a hernia especially when she mistimed a jump onto the windowsill from the couch and landed on her side right on the wound. She calmed down a bit after that.
  • cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two boys were litter mates so were done at the same time. One carried on as if nothing had happened, the other was so groggy he couldn't get his back legs working for a while and dragged himself around after me by his front paws. It was both heartbreaking and hysterical.
  • Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would seperate them when you first bring him home, and again next week when you bring the girly home too. Your boy will be fine after the op generally speaking, albeit Sleepy probably. However, he will not smell like himself at all and his sister will likely show some aggression. Im sure you'll agree that after an op, minor or major, that he needs rest and relaxation but that probably won't happen if you don't keep them apart.

Your girl will need longer, I had to keep Pandora in my bedroom for over a week as a) she smelled differently also, b) she will have more substantial wounds afterwards than a boy and any playing/rough housing/ attempts at cleaning etc will aggravate or split open her stitches. If she's wearing a cone which she should be, she may also need help eating and drinking. The boys tend to bounce back practically immediately, but att least half of my females over the years have required assistance after their spaying. Good news is, they heal hella quick and things will be back to normal really soon.

Also, well done for being a responsible pet owner and getting them both done! :)
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, they are 5 months. The vet suggesting doing him early as she is showing signs of being in season. He has been there all day and she has cried for him all day! She Is used to him obeying her every command. They are cutting his claws, putting in a chip and worming and fleeing him. What a big bill I am going to have.
    Her turn next week, I expect he will be glad for a bit of peace.!

Unfortunately many Vets still think 6 months is the right age to neuter cats. Cats protection and many other relevant organisations suggest 4 months. My own-bred pedigree kittens are neutered at 3 months before they leave me. http://kind.cats.org.uk
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to get our kitten done as early as possible but all the local vets said 6 months. I am aware some others say 3, 4 or 5, but none in this area do. Thankfully 6 months is in less than a fortnight so he will be neutered soon.