Options

AOL slow at peak time - driving me nuts

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
Forum Member
Help - I am with AOL and they are driving me around the bend. The problem I am having is that every evening after 5pm it is impossible to use any web streaming apps such as iPlayer or Youtube due to speeds dropping through the floor.

I have used a number of speed testers (mainly speedtester.bt.com) and have conclusive evidence that downloads speeds drop from 4500kbps (at 2pm) to around 350kbps during the evening.

Normal surfing slows down a little, but downloading (not streaming) seems not to change at any time (I get around 600-700kb)

I have spend many an hour onto the "Help" desk to no avail. Unfortunately it seems to have got worse since recently moving onto "dialbb.com" login.

BTW I do not use P2P software and have ensured khost.exe is not running on any user.

Unfortunately I have another 11 months to go in my current contract

Any thoughts? JBB

Comments

• Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like classic traffic shapping. you are lucky, i went to a relative on Tiscali (now part of AOL/Talktalk) and trying to use iplayer steaming or downloading in the evening was totally impossible. you may have a case for breach of contract if you are within th FUP limits but thats going to be hard to prove. Best get all your evidence together and put it in writing saying you want it fixed or the option to leave without penalty. check samknows and see who else has an LLU in your exchange. i left AOL and went to Freedom2surf (part of Tiscali and so now part of TT as well) and am now enjoying double speeds up and down with very little shapping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    The issue would appear to be with people who are on non-LLU connections. You can find out if you're on a non-LLU AOL connection by looking up your exchange on this website: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php If you're non-LLU, then there'll be an "X" by "AOL" in the list on the bottom right of the page.

Non-LLU connections rely on the BT IPStream service, and AOL have to hire equipment and bandwidth from BT (to put it simply). With LLU connections, AOL use their own equipment so there are no issues with speed.

The official line from AOL about this is that it's congestion and that there's "nothing that can be done about it". Well, actually, if they hired more bandwidth from BT then the problem would be solved - other ISPs have had poor evening speeds on non-LLU connections, and purchasing more bandwidth from BT has solved the problem.

There's a massive thread on the Thinkbroadband forums discussing this issue: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/aol/3713848-lost-connection.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DW2009, thanks for the tip. I have looked on the website mentioned and am indeed on a non-LLU AOL exchange. I will look at the other thread, but if I were to move to an ISP that did have LLU should I fair better? Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In theory, yes, you should receive a better service from an LLU connection. However, there are other factors which can cause slow evening services, such as exchange congestion.

The people in the thread on the Thinkbroadband forum checked their exchanges and they're not congested, which points to the fact that the issues are AOL issues. My exchange isn't congested either. You can check exchange congestion here - http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, my exchange is not congested either. Incidentally, AOL keep advising running more and more speed tests and ringing them back to raise another fault with BT. Is it worth the effort (at 5p/min) or a waster of time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Personally I'd have thought they've got enough evidence now to realise that the congestion is happening in the evenings because that's when most people are using it. They must surely have their own network monitoring systems where they'd be able to see what speeds people would be able to achieve anyway!

I'd say it would be worth the effort (to keep pestering them) but if it's costing you money then it's probably not worth it! How long (i.e. how much money) does it take/cost to ring them up and give the result of another speed test?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It costs me at least £1 a time - I am losing the will to even ring up and speak to another person who is completely and utterly useless. Hrmph :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If it's costing you that much then it's probably not worth it. Not to mention the frustration caused by someone reading off a script in the tech centre!

This thread here is interesting though - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1225720

So it looks like non-LLU services on most of the major ISPs are below par at the moment. It's mostly urban areas which have LLU-enabled exchanges, and most people live in urban areas. So I suppose ISPs aren't too bothered with the minority of their customer base who are on non-LLU exchanges! :(
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm LLU enabled (since last year). This is the first time in ten years of service that I've had a problem with AOL, but my download speeds (all day long) are down to 200 kb/s.
  • Options
    Nick666Nick666 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    I've got exactly the same rubbish from AOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It seems AOL is scrapping the old 2 & 4 Mb packages and is upgrading all connections to 8Mb.

This will surely just make their systems even more congested, especially in the evenings! :mad:

They should sort out their IPStream issues before upgrading the speeds of those on non-8Mb packages. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice to know that their 8mb package provides me with 3.2mb... half a mile from the exchange.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The internet is always busy after 5pm.

you have to remember people are coming home from work about 6.00 in the evening, having a quick bite to eat, and then logging on about 7.00.

from about 7.00 onwards, the whole world and his rocking horse are online.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rob22 wrote: »
    The internet is always busy after 5pm.

you have to remember people are coming home from work about 6.00 in the evening, having a quick bite to eat, and then logging on about 7.00.

from about 7.00 onwards, the whole world and his rocking horse are online.

That's true, but the fact is that (as a general rule) on LLU connections, the speed decrease isn't as severe as it is on non-LLU connections. Therefore there are issues with the connections between IPStream and AOL.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    When exactly is peak time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    6pm - 12am I guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My personal experience of slow downs with AOL generally seems to be after about 5pm until 11pm in the week and whenever they feel like it at the weekends.

BTW does anyone know the email address of anyone important at AOL so I can write a stroppy email. I am at my wit's end dealing with the most woeful "Technical Help Desk" I have had the misfortune to come across. Period.

thanks
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My uncle has decided to leave AOL. Hopefully he'll get his MAC Code any day soon. When he phoned up he was told by the advisor that if he stayed they would turn his speed up. He was on an 8 Meg download package and only recieveing 2 meg download cheeky gits. His estimated line for Sky is between 10 -13 meg download.

So it looks like they are traffic shaping on purpose by the sounds of things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In a moment of weakness I wrote another stroppy email to AOL regarding appaling service and received the following reply:

Dear J***,

Thank you for telling me that, my name is ***, I am sorry that you have experienced this issue and I am confident that we can work together to resolve it.
    It would appear that the details you have are not logging you correctly onto the network for some reason. What I will do is now purge your connection an generate a new username. I shall test this for you now and with this we should have this issue resolved once and for all. These steps can be done offline so you do not need to be on the internet for this.

So, being in a caring sharing mood, I tried the new logon details just in case... You've guessed it, the speed I am now getting according to speedtester.bt.com is 151 kbps on a line that is syncing at 7200kbps.

I give up.
  • Options
    Telekon24Telekon24 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    JBB wrote: »
    In a moment of weakness I wrote another stroppy email to AOL regarding appaling service and received the following reply:

Dear J***,

Thank you for telling me that, my name is ***, I am sorry that you have experienced this issue and I am confident that we can work together to resolve it.
    It would appear that the details you have are not logging you correctly onto the network for some reason. What I will do is now purge your connection an generate a new username. I shall test this for you now and with this we should have this issue resolved once and for all. These steps can be done offline so you do not need to be on the internet for this.

So, being in a caring sharing mood, I tried the new logon details just in case... You've guessed it, the speed I am now getting according to speedtester.bt.com is 151 kbps on a line that is syncing at 7200kbps.

I give up.

Yep the speeds are getting worse i had top speed of 0.2meg tonight
    I have my MAC code and first thing tomorrow i'm going to use it after 9 years of being with AOL i'm out of there
  • Options
    Forum Member

Dear J***,

I give up.

I can't believe they're still trying to fob people off by implying that the slow evening speeds are isolated incidents!

Also you're either on their network or not on it - I don't see how "not being on it correctly" would cause slow speeds in the evenings!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know - crackers isn't it. Latest Speedtester.bt.com result - 4377kbps - and this is fairly typical outside Peak Hours.

I have a great graph in Excel showing the (odd) Up's and (many) Down's to share with someone at AOL that is not a call centre drone.

Now, just need to find out who to speak to...
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you think AOL is bad for its service. you should try and and leave them....now that is tough...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know - crackers isn't it. Latest Speedtester.bt.com result - 4377kbps - and this is fairly typical outside Peak Hours.

I have a great graph in Excel showing the (odd) Up's and (many) Down's to share with someone at AOL that is not a call centre drone.

Now, just need to find out who to speak to...

I did the same as you and managed to speak to someone who didn't read from a script, and the general consensus was that it's congestion in the evenings and nothing can be done.
  • Options
    Telekon24Telekon24 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    you think AOL is bad for its service. you should try and and leave them....now that is tough...

I had no problem getting my mac code from them at all came same day in my email, that was the fastest thing from AOL i have ever had