Options

What's the most hurtful thing someone has ever said/done to you?

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ingenue wrote: »
    My childs biological father decided when I was 5 months pregnant that he didn't want to be a father after all.
    Oh I can relate. My ex also was one of these idiots who was so for having a baby and when I got pregnant decided at six months later that he wasn't ready. Thanks :rolleyes:
    I was very upset, we were engaged, made plans, etc, so when my overdue son was born in the very early morning after hours in labour and I fell into a short sleep from exhaustion, the phone by my bedside woke me up. It was the hospital operator who berated me for not letting them know that I had moved beds and because of this they had spent a long time looking for me to put an outside call through. I didn't even know I had to (I didn't - it was the hospital staff's duty), I didn't even know I could use the phone, I had just been through a tiresome procedure and I didn't even know I had moved; I was in a labour room before and when I fell asleep I was taken to the postnatal wards.

I have always fell ultra-gutted that this rude woman caught me off guard and had I known what I do now I would have literally breathed fire down that handset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a great thread!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you give a child confidence so they have high self esteem, they can take these comments and the people who say them with a pinch of salt.
    When you are shy and have no confidence, you take it to heart and it stays with you.

I'm a stronger person now and cut people out of my life who aren't nice.

I would say something straight away now if someone made a nasty comment to me
  • Options
    The ManglerThe Mangler Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst thing done to me was a supposed friend having an affair with my husband.

The worst thing said to me was said same husband choosing a song on a juke box and telling me it was for me - Meatloaf's '2 out of 3 aint bad' :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Worse thing was probably my mother turning round to me when I was very small and telling me she'd wished I'd never been born as I'd f'd up her life
    My parents called me a dog (ugly girl with red hair, freckly skin, glasses, braces), a **** (I was 11), fat (I was skin and bone). They stuck. From my parents!!!! Names I could never call my flesh and blood. Even to this day, no matter what Mr Q says to me, their words are still there. The names they called my daughter was worse because of Mr Qs skin colour (him being Asian) and they hurt her too. I say they are jealous of her Meditteranian skin colour, blue eyes, beautiful smile and legs that go up forever, her gorgeous (though wild) curly dark brown hair with natural gold high-lights, her brain, her humour, her plans for the job of her dreams (police, she starts the cadets this Wednesday).
    Family can be quite cruel.

:( Those sound awful. About the worst thing I ever heard (not about me) was when I had the horrible experience of calling to tell a woman that her teenage son had drowned. :(:( I was terrified in advance, and kind of braced myself for absolutely anything, or so I thought. What she actually did was burst into tears, point at her OTHER teenage son and say, "Why couldn't it have been him?"

My own family are good. But I was in the Met Police back in the days when it was a rough old place for women. I was called every name under the sun, had policemen barking at me like dogs (to show that I was a dog, see?), had a dead cat put in my locker, had all my paperwork burnt before a court case, that kind of thing. When I tried to report an incident (when my knickers were pulled down in the canteen) to my reporting sergeant he told me that my attitude was all wrong and to go away.
  • Options
    astra19Eastra19E Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :( Those sound awful. About the worst thing I ever heard (not about me) was when I had the horrible experience of calling to tell a woman that her teenage son had drowned. :(:( I was terrified in advance, and kind of braced myself for absolutely anything, or so I thought. What she actually did was burst into tears, point at her OTHER teenage son and say, "Why couldn't it have been him?"
    That's unfathomable! How could she say that? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What absolute bastards some people are. It just reminds you that the world is generally crap :/

What is wrong with some people? I feel ashamed to be human sometimes!
    astra19E wrote: »

See above.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hyde99 wrote: »
    This is a great thread!!!!!

I've actually found it quite hard to read. Some people have had truly horrible experiences and I feel saddened and outraged on their behalf :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I have two older sisters, H and R. My gran (a difficult person at the best of times) said to me when I was a young teen "R is the pretty one, H is the clever one, so what does that make you?" :(

I never forgot that.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things that made me self-conscious about my body when I was younger was one time in Year 6 at school, when I walked past 2 of the chavvy girls and one of them called my name and said "Jugs!". As you can probably tell from that comment, I was more 'developed' than most other girls in our year! I ended up being smaller than a lot of them by the time we were in Year 9 or 10, though.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's about the most unbelievable of some fairly unbelievable stories on this thread!
  • Options
    potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    There was a time in my life I used to go to a local bar on my own quite a lot. I new the barman and had nice chats.
    After a few months I noticed a group of loud people who used to say "loner, he has no friends". I tried my best to ignore them but one night when I was leaving waiting for someone to collect me "I was sitting outside alone" the group of people sat opposite me at a bus-stop - shouting 'loser, no one likes you' 'low-life' 'smelly' 'dumb-dumb'
    I wish that it didn't matter to me but I attempted suicide 2 times from that night.
    I don't know what I did wrong and I've never been to the bar again.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »
    There was a time in my life I used to go to a local bar on my own quite a lot. I new the barman and had nice chats.
    After a few months I noticed a group of loud people who used to say "loner, he has no friends". I tried my best to ignore them but one night when I was leaving waiting for someone to collect me "I was sitting outside alone" the group of people sat opposite me at a bus-stop - shouting 'loser, no one likes you' 'low-life' 'smelly' 'dumb-dumb'
    I wish that it didn't matter to me but I attempted suicide 2 times from that night.

You did nothing wrong, believe me. Those people were very wrong though.
  • Options
    Blackadder VBlackadder V Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astra19E wrote: »

That is absolutely horrible and will no doubt stay with the other son forever. I bet she regretted it almost immediately after.

On the other hand though, how much of an absolute **** must that son have been for her to say that (not that that excuses it).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get away from the subject of breasts - sorry boys! - the most hurtful thing anyone ever said to me was after the birth of my second son.
    We were out for the day with our gorgeous little boys, and this bloke asked me if the baby was a girl. When I said no, another son, he said "Oh, you poor thing, what a shame. How disappointing. Never mind, maybe next time." I was utterly gobsmacked and can still remember how much I wanted to punch him. Silly, I know, but my baby was about a week old and I was as hormonal as hell - in normal circumstances, I would have responded in a far more articulate way rather than my subdued "oh.":(

I got you beat.

When our son was born, about two hours later, there were concerns about his health. The midwife tending to us after the birth thought he may have Down syndrome. She consulted with a few senior paediatric consultants on the matter. Each one went through all the tell-tale signs; things like only one crease-line going across the palm of one hand instead of two. Big gap between big toe and 2nd toe. Floppy demeanour (hypotonia). Small fold of skin on back of neck. Almond shape eyes.

Now, the only way to be sure is for a blood test to be taken. However, one of the senior consultants was so sure he had Down syndrome (because he had all the tell-tale signs listed above) that she said.....

"Put it this way, if he doesn't have Downs, he'll just be an ugly baby."
  • Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I got you beat.

When our son was born, about two hours later, there were concerns about his health. The midwife tending to us after the birth thought he may have Down syndrome. She consulted with a few senior paediatric consultants on the matter. Each one went through all the tell-tale signs; things like only one crease-line going across the palm of one hand instead of two. Big gap between big toe and 2nd toe. Floppy demeanour (hypotonia). Small fold of skin on back of neck. Almond shape eyes.

Now, the only way to be sure is for a blood test to be taken. However, one of the senior consultants was so sure he had Down syndrome (because he had all the tell-tale signs listed above) that she said.....

"Put it this way, if he doesn't have Downs, he'll just be an ugly baby."
    Oh my God. That's unbelievable. A senior consultant as well - not that it would be any better coming from someone less experienced, but bloody hell.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    potatolegs wrote: »

Some people just have no empathy whatsoever, especially when they are drunk. :( I bet they forgot their cruel words five minutes later and went off to sort out their pizza box collection instead. What you did wrong was to find yourself in the same place as a lot of thick retards. You were no more to blame than if you had been struck by lightning.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my God. That's unbelievable. A senior consultant as well - not that it would be any better coming from someone less experienced, but bloody hell.

I know, right!!

Me, my wife and my mother-in-law all heard was she said, but because we were all very emotional about what was happening, we didn't respond to her comment. In fact, we didn't really speak about what she said until several weeks later when our son was indeed diagnosed as having Down syndrome.

And no, he wasn't an ugly baby.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    I know, right!!

Me, my wife and my mother-in-law all heard was she said, but because we were all very emotional about what was happening, we didn't respond to her comment. In fact, we didn't really speak about what she said until several weeks later when our son was indeed diagnosed as having Down syndrome.

And no, he wasn't an ugly baby.

Sometimes you have to feel sorry for these people who have such a lack of human empathy. They will never know what it's like to have feelings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My psychiatrist once asked me if I was a virgin. I said yeah, which is perfectly true. She replied coolly "now why don't I believe that?"

& when I was younger and giving a statement to the police about a sexual assault type thingy ma bob, I was pretty damn cut up but I was holding it together to give my statement, planning to curl up and cry for hours after they'd left. But I guess the police-woman was shocked by my composure because she kept asking me if I was taking this seriously. "Are you taking this seriously, don't you care? Don't you realise how bad this is? Don't you understand?" Has this not even bothered you at all? Since I was a flaky flake and my composure was a façade, I cracked instantly and snapped at her and dissolved, started crying etc. She left me with the haughty comment, "you are clearly too liberal with your sexuality."

It stung, to say the least...
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The very worst was when a tramp was hassling people for money and I was walking past with my son in a pushchair and he asked me for money. When I refused to give him some he looked at my son and said I hope your baby dies:eek:
    I ran in to the nearest shop and burst into tears:o

The second worst was similar to the OP. When I was first dating my husband-to-be I went to watch him play snooker. One of the snooker team turned to him and said "Is she your new girlfriend?" Husband said said yes and he said "You must be desperate" I never went to watch him play snooker again:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Apart from some comments in the past that my Cousin and Step Sister have said to other people about me in the past which were complete lies (step sister is known for having bad jealousy issues when it comes to myself and my Mother anyway) I've never let things like that bother me.
    And when you look like what I do you get it a lot :)

However one thing that does bug me a little (because i live in a small village) is that certain people said that i get down at Christmas, and that I spent the last xmas day in bed depressed.

It couldn't of been further from the truth.

I spend xmas with my Father. He goes to midnight mas on xmas eve, I watch the television. He gets back at 1:30am. We open a nice bottle of Scotch that he saves for this period. We open our presents, he goes to bed about 4am and I watch a couple of films. So next thing it's morning we go straight round my Grandmothers (no sleep) I have the xmas dinner more booze, get back about 5pm and go to bed till about 9pm. Then i'm wide awake go back down stairs finish off the good Scotch with the old man and stick on a dvd box set that i have saved for xmas night.

And for some reason still don't know how (weird neighbours probably) It filttered out that "he just spent the day in bed"
    Which is the wrong thing to say in a small village. Because then it gets turned into something more personal and ridiculas.

I love Christmas. I enjoy the build up, seeing amd contacting people that you only really see when it comes to that time of year. One off comedy specials on the box. And especially the xams Football period. Four games in ten days.

I know this is very trivial and not like the ones above but it still 'bugs' me to this day.

And to some some of the posters above. I know when family say nasty stuff and so called friends stab you in the back and dig at you, Always try and keep your dignity and don't stoop to there level. (that is why i will not say what my C & SS said) Life is to short to let people bring you down.
    You will always have people who are driven by jealousy, mean sprited and take pleasure in other peoples mis fortune. It's just the way the world is.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex pushed me down the stairs whilst I was pregnant and I lost our baby. Terrible and awful but I always try to think that from bad comes good and whilst I still think about the teenage boy I would have been a mum too had he of lived, I ended up realised what an awful person my ex was, left him and met my husband who is wonderful, the best man in the world ever and all my ex never could attain. I still feel so upset that we are no parents, that's probably why I am slightly obsessive about IVF.
  • Options
    joules22joules22 Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex-husband said it was a shame my children had ever been born.. It still upsets me now to think of it. Our relationship was over for me from that moment.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    goonst wrote: »
    My psychiatrist once asked me if I was a virgin. I said yeah, which is perfectly true. She replied coolly "now why don't I believe that?"

& when I was younger and giving a statement to the police about a sexual assault type thingy ma bob, I was pretty damn cut up but I was holding it together to give my statement, planning to curl up and cry for hours after they'd left. But I guess the police-woman was shocked by my composure because she kept asking me if I was taking this seriously. "Are you taking this seriously, don't you care? Don't you realise how bad this is? Don't you understand?" Has this not even bothered you at all? Since I was a flaky flake and my composure was a façade, I cracked instantly and snapped at her and dissolved, started crying etc. She left me with the haughty comment, "you are clearly too liberal with your sexuality."

It stung, to say the least...

That's terrible - did you make a formal complaint? I hope so.