Why do the press act like size 16 is the biggest size?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
Forum Member
✭✭
I just read a Daily Mail (I know, I know...) article about Cheryl Cole which briefly mentioned Adele (in praise) but claimed Adele was a size 16? Now, it doesn't actually matter a jott to me what size someone is but I think Adele is about the same weight as me, going by how she looks and dresses, and I'd have thought she was at least an 18 - 20.

I've noticed whenever a woman is overweight the media describe her as a size 16, as though that's the biggest size a woman can get.

Why is this? It's utter stupidity, damaging to those who struggle with body issues, and patronising to bigger women who aren't afraid to admit what size they really are.

I remember they did the same thing with Coleen Nolan when she lost weight, saying she was a size 16 before it all fell off, but she was so obviously bigger than that.

Comments

• emma555emma555 Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Adele looks like a size 16 to me, but you're right, the newspapers talk rubbish about weight and size all the time. I was surprised when Chantelle was in the CBB house, and she said she was 10 stone, and she was so slim and looked great. But I'm sure in the mags that they would be writing that she was 8 and a half stone, max. I remember Ulrika had a face on her when Chantelle told her that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember being gobsmacked by Vanessa Feltz's original big slim - the one where she sold off all her clothes - when she claimed to have gone from an 18 to a 12. It seemed obvious from the pictures that she had gone from a 26-ish to a 16 at her very slimmest. I guess some of these people never set foot inside Marks and Spencers/ Top shop and genuinely don't know what size they would take. Brands have their own size rules. Dawn French's Sixteen-47 brand for example has a completely different sizing structure.

The other possibility is that people say what they want to be true.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dress size is poor as a measure of how "fat" someone is, because it doesn't take height properly into account. But somehow certain sizes have become media favourites. 16 is often claimed to be the average size. 10 or 12 is the absolute minimum size a "real woman" can have. And so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emma555 wrote: »
    Adele looks like a size 16 to me,

Fair 'nuff, she might well be. It's difficult to tell because of the clothes she wears, it just seemed to me that the media were pulling the old size 16 is the largest clothing size anyone can be routine again.

I agree with everyone that it's bollocks, and the women who lie about it to themselves (though Adele doesn't seem like the type who'd do that) are being daft.

I know we're not in a perfect world but one should be able to be honest about what size they are without reservations. It's very sad that so many feel they can't.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree OP. As soon as a woman's size is mentioned, if she's 'overweight', she'll be classed as a 16 irrespective of how big she actually is.

Also, weight wise, 15 stone seems to be the same thing - I've seen Jo Brand and Dawn French both described in the media as 15 stone. Given that I'm pretty sure that neither have actually made an announcement of their weight, this would appear to be a totally made up figure, and a gross underestimate for Dawn French.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    Totally agree OP. As soon as a woman's size is mentioned, if she's 'overweight', she'll be classed as a 16 irrespective of how big she actually is.

Also, weight wise, 15 stone seems to be the same thing - I've seen Jo Brand and Dawn French both described in the media as 15 stone. Given that I'm pretty sure that neither have actually made an announcement of their weight, this would appear to be a totally made up figure, and a gross underestimate for Dawn French.

This is exactly what I mean.

Agreed about that fifteen stone thing as well. And Dawn French has to be at LEAST twenty stone, in my opinion. She's been getting bigger and bigger over the last five years or so. I can't believe she hasn't had a heart attack yet.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press and their obsession with size does my head in. if you read what they say then everyone above a size 8 is fat yet another time anyone below a 12 is boderline anorexic.

It also seems everyone who loses weight goes from a 16 to a 10, even if they lose about 4 pounds. Latest example is Kirsty Alley. While she looks great and has done really well, a size 10 she ain't but that's what they're saying.
  • ILoveMyDogILoveMyDog Posts: 26,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele looks like a size 20
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adele is tall you can tell by her hands which are quite large. So because of that those heavier she could still wear a size 16. Someone the same weight but shorter will be a bigger size in clothes.

I remember last year Dawn French in the Daily Mail was described as a size 28. Then suddenly later that day in the article she was a size 18. Dawn is quite short around 5ft and to be honest is far bigger than a size 18. I know that as two years ago I was 15st 2lbs and same height and was a size 20. Dawn was far bigger than me by far. I am now a size 14 and lost 5st.
  • Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    Maybe because those pieces are written by men who haven't got a clue, or women who eat half a spoon of rice a day and feel everything higher than a size 12 is enormous, so a size 16 is well welllll overweight.
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ILoveMyDog wrote: »
    Adele looks like a size 20

I am inclined to agree, at least an 18-20
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Maybe because those pieces are written by men who haven't got a clue, or women who eat half a spoon of rice a day and feel everything higher than a size 12 is enormous, so a size 16 is well welllll overweight.

The piece claiming that Adele is a size 16 was written by a woman.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's true. I find it extremely hard to imagine either Dawn French or Jo Brand telling a magazine their weight. Dawn French is short, isn't she? That makes a big difference. My best friend is over 12 stone, but she is also over 6ft tall, and is very skinny.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of women like to make themselves younger/smaller than they actually are. I can see the media being the same way.
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe it is an uwritten agreement because everryone knows anything over that size is obese and celebrities do not want that tag in print although most people will already know the fact
  • kira neryskira nerys Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am 5ft 5,and I weigh 15.7(was 16.3 a month ago!),and I am usually a size 20(18 depending on where I buy from!),well size 20 is slightly too big,but 18 is not quite big enough:(,and Dawn French is much bigger than I am,bodywise,she's also more beautiful:)
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC Adele says in a interview with Q Magazine that she is Size 16.
  • Bad JujuBad Juju Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF???? (Not you OP)

I mean really WHAT the F___! :mad: Adele has a fantastic voice, she sings beautifully, wtf has her figure got to do with it. I am so sick of women being viewed in terms of their bodies regardless of their remarkable talent. It seems that no matter what a woman does and no matter how good she is at it, it will come back to her body, whether it's weight, her tits, her 'looking tired' or her age. It's f___ing disgusting, it tells girls that their value lies in their bodies and appearance and not their abilities. Sick of this sexist bullshit!! :mad::mad:

rant over :o
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media also has an obsession with Christina Hendricks at the moment.

They're almost desperate to say something bad about her.
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »

I think the body fascism issue is very cruel and yet intriuging subject. I often read and have conversations about this and it's always noted that the ones dissecting women's bodies in this awful way are female journos and female aimed magazines. What people fail to mention is that writers and editors are answerable to the higher up's within the publishing house or the publication they work for. The upper echelons of these publications are the ones who fundamentally set the agenda for their output (often influenced by advertisers). These powerful decision makers tend to be predominantly men.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    IIRC Adele says in a interview with Q Magazine that she is Size 16.

I know she's tall, but I simply can't believe that.
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Adele is tall you can tell by her hands which are quite large. So because of that those heavier she could still wear a size 16. Someone the same weight but shorter will be a bigger size in clothes.

I remember last year Dawn French in the Daily Mail was described as a size 28. Then suddenly later that day in the article she was a size 18. Dawn is quite short around 5ft and to be honest is far bigger than a size 18. I know that as two years ago I was 15st 2lbs and same height and was a size 20. Dawn was far bigger than me by far. I am now a size 14 and lost 5st.

But it's a funny one - I'm 5 ft 3 and a size ten and weigh a huge amount - 10 stone - for my height. Size 12 clothes from a myriad of shops all are far to big round the waist and stomach and end up trailing on the floor and size 12 jeans are super baggy.

I have recently lost 4 stone and people think I look really, really slim but I can't because of what I weigh.

I'm not lying - it's the gods honest truth but I do think some people must weigh heavier than they look. Even my doctor at my heaviest put me on the scales 3 times because he couldn't believe I weighed just off 14 stone.

When I say 10 stone is a lot I mean in balance for what I look like - I know 10 stone is a decent weight for my height!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Size 16 isn't the biggest size but isn't the average size of UK women?
  • EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    But it's a funny one - I'm 5 ft 3 and a size ten and weigh a huge amount - 10 stone - for my height. Size 12 clothes from a myriad of shops all are far to big round the waist and stomach and end up trailing on the floor and size 12 jeans are super baggy.

I have recently lost 4 stone and people think I look really, really slim but I can't because of what I weigh.

I'm not lying - it's the gods honest truth but I do think some people must weigh heavier than they look. Even my doctor at my heaviest put me on the scales 3 times because he couldn't believe I weighed just off 14 stone.

When I say 10 stone is a lot I mean in balance for what I look like - I know 10 stone is a decent weight for my height!

Maybe your bone density is excellent :D
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I remember being gobsmacked by Vanessa Feltz's original big slim - the one where she sold off all her clothes - when she claimed to have gone from an 18 to a 12. It seemed obvious from the pictures that she had gone from a 26-ish to a 16 at her very slimmest. I guess some of these people never set foot inside Marks and Spencers/ Top shop and genuinely don't know what size they would take. Brands have their own size rules. Dawn French's Sixteen-47 brand for example has a completely different sizing structure.

The other possibility is that people say what they want to be true.

I actually saw the clothes that Vanessa Feltz gave to an `'All Aboard' charity shop in Temple Fortune - and can confirm that they were size 24. :)