Sad that Ryan's going (EastEnders)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 640
Forum Member
✭✭
I've only been watching EastEnders for 8 months, after a break of about 4 or 5 years (although, paid some attention to know very, very briefly the outgoings and incomings of major characters), and to be honest, there's not been a massive amount of Ryan.

That being said, despite all of the Ryan hate on this forum, I really think he's been quite a good character, well, at least over the past few weeks (I really enjoyed the Kim episode on Tuesday). Maybe I'm just being entranced by the fact he's easy on the eye, but meh. Anyone agree?

Comments

• RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get the hate either. I agree the character's been misused/underdeveloped, but the actor himself is perfectly competent.

(And gooooorrrrggeeeeooooooous)
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's underrated by people on here. He's hardly a top class character, but there have been so so many worse characters than him over the years.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes yes I totally agree OP...I love me some Ryan both character and looks wise...

He is a criminally underused character, and right from his first scenes with Whitney and Debra he showed potential...He could have been a whole lot better than Sean, but I get the feeling that the writers were never sure what to do with him, hence him getting involved with Janine, and the whole storyline surrounding Stacey's exit...

His exit shows this, but overall I think he has been one of the more interesting characters to walk on the Square...he has an abyss of depth to his character, and I get the feeling there is a lot that we don't know about him, like the fact that he supposedly murdered someone before he came to the Square...

I wish they'd explored his relationship with Whitney more as well, they have such a great dynamic, as he could provide her with what she's always needed: a family, but tragically and unfortunately for Whitney he never seems to get it right...It looks like his exit may remedy that though...;)

I hope there is some scope for a return in the future, I think the character still has so much more to give, as does the actor...:)
  • cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think he's good looking in the slightest , he's an ok character , not good but not bad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love him but i am completely in denial that he is leaving :o... as far as i am concerned when he leaves he IS coming back, although i know this is unlikely :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people dislike him for what he did in real life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'm sad Ryan's going... but I definately think that the character had so much more potential.
    His looks may have clouded my judgement;) ...but I don't want him to leaveeee!
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Ryan could have been a huge character if decent stories had been written for him.

Just like Vanessa another loss to Eastenders, hopefully he won't die and he'll be back in the future.
  • agatha_crispiesagatha_crispies Posts: 31,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor is very promising and I think Eastenders have misused him. His marriage to Janine could have been a huge coup for the show, they were only slightly younger than Den & Angie when they kicked the soap off in 1985, and although Ryan & J are very unlike them I think that they would have made a fantastic couple, far better than Kat & Alfie. Imagine the amazing comedy and evil plots those two would have got up to! Instead, they write a series of bizarre violent events for the two of them that culminates in them splitting, presumably for this preposterous and irritating Max/Tanya reunion to take centre stage, which has been a farcical waste of time. I really hope he goes on to good things, gets involved in decent theatre to keep an edge to his acting, and doesn't fall into the Dean Gaffney way of life, as so many have done.

With the serious analysis over, I can now go into fits of grief
    :cry::cry::cry:
    The loss of the smouldering sexpot Ryan will make me miserable and bereft of my usual damn good perv over him every time he appeared. I could eat him. He was the red pesto in my cheese sandwich :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morton100 wrote: »
    I think people dislike him for what he did in real life.

Perhaps many people do. It wasn't a nice thing to do to your wife. The thing is, It's ultimately meaningless in relation to his portrayal of a character. The age difference was startling, and it doesn't exactly paint a great picture of his attitude to domestic affairs, but he's a human being and we all balls it up in the end. I don't hold much of a brief for what actors get up to in the real world, it doesn't interest me, why would it, I don't know them. All I see is a good character that was forgotten by the writers and possibly punished for one mistake in his personal life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I Love Ryan, I think the actor is good and also seriously hot! :p such a shame he's leaving!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    I love Ryan really going to miss him :(
  • Donk25Donk25 Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I agree with what almost everyone has said on here Ryan could have had more screen time better storylines and it is a dam shame he has left

They have wasted a good character in my opinion I think the door is left open for him to return because he doesn`t get killed off but goes on the run I believe after killing Rob

I hope that one day when he`s sorted out his personal life and marriage he`ll either be back on our Tv screens somewhere else or that`ll he return to EE :)

I seriously don`t get all the hate for him I mean I know he hurt his wife and I know that was crazy stupid thing to do for a man of his age but eveyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves atleast one second chance in life

And yes like all the comments above except for one Neil Is a total stunner and most certainly easy on the eye :eek::D

Either way Good Luck Neil all the best for the future is what I say hope to see him back on our screens soon :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,154
    Forum Member
    The Julia's Theme question pops up again...
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he should return in the future when they finally bring Stacey back!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AM32 wrote: »

I've never seen such an obsession about a piece of television music before on any forum.
  • TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AM32 wrote: »

Well it doesn't, there's no way Ryan's getting a Julia's Theme.
  • nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps many people do. It wasn't a nice thing to do to your wife. The thing is, It's ultimately meaningless in relation to his portrayal of a character. The age difference was startling, and it doesn't exactly paint a great picture of his attitude to domestic affairs, but he's a human being and we all balls it up in the end. I don't hold much of a brief for what actors get up to in the real world, it doesn't interest me, why would it, I don't know them. All I see is a good character that was forgotten by the writers and possibly punished for one mistake in his personal life.
    I agree to some extent. I don't like it when actors slag off the show and then return to take centre stage, but aside from that if they have affairs, got arrested...so what, unless it affected their ability to work. Especially in this case. The character is not your average nice guy, so his real life only reflects something he easily would and could do "in character", as shown. It's not like the girl in real life was 13 or something!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,314
    Forum Member
    I like him and will miss him but i there have been times where i hvent liked him but thats not down to character its more down to bad writing, like the whole drug selling and lauren etc, but i liked him on tues ep helping kim and i like him when his helping whitney
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very nice to look at, but he was rather dull
  • summerbunnysummerbunny Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would much perfer Debra back i want to learn more about her and why she walked out on whitney.
    ryan just got boring at the end so no big loss.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I like him but I think having him get with Lauren has ruined the character, they made him selfish and when he first came he would never have disregarded Whitney's feelings the way he did when he was with Lauren. I don't understand the writers obsession with Lauren and why they decided to put Ryan (who is meant to be 27) with her, I think he was much better with Janine.
  • rodenboyrodenboy Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    I don't get the hate either. I agree the character's been misused/underdeveloped, but the actor himself is perfectly competent.

I agree with that!
  • EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was deplorable in the ''fight'' scene with Rob. He didn't put any effort into it whatsoever. EE should have just axed him outright instead of giving him a ''big'' storyline to leave on if he wasn't even going to put any effort in. All he's done since Stacey left is have a blank expression on his face and be moody.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    Used to love him, but got bored of the writers constantly forgetting about him. Not so bothered about him now.