When X Factor goes will it be replaced?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm sure the day will come when The X Factor will be no more. My question is what will replace the show once it goes.
Have these shows reached a point whereby they fail to achieve what they set out to do - they aim to find stars but rarely achieve this.
Granted The X Factor is a ratings success for itv but viewers are slowly turning off.
Is it possible in time we will see a new breed of talent show or will these formats die a very slow death?

When that day comes - What would you like to see? Is it time we wave goodbye to these "X Factor type" shows or would you welcome a new singing show?

Comments

• RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    They almost took the firs step already. This month was supposed to see the debut of a new show "Rising Star" which I think originated in Isreal. It's pretty interactive and its a mixture between the audience and the judges as to whether someone gets through. (They have to get 70% approval rating I think and judges have 7% each with their rating) It did pretty well in several countries.

ITV pretty much said it would go head to head with The Voice but then the US (I think) did a version in 2014 which pretty much bombed big time and ITV decided to drop the UK version before it even started. The Voice gaining an increase in viewers probably helped the decision to pull the show.

Though the important thing to take from it is that ITV are not closing off the idea to another singing talent show...they already commisioned one show, who knows how close another one is that could potentially replace it.

The Amazing Rabbis - Hotel California

This is an example of an audition that got people talking from the original series :)
  • drakhendrakhen Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think ITV will want to end their relationship with SCowell, so the replacement will probably be another show similar to X-Factor. However, I have a feeling that ITV will renew X-Factor for another 3 years in 2016. Yes, the ratings will continue to drop, but they will just scale the budget down and bung some Z-listers on the judging panel.
  • KingsyKingsy Posts: 1,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there will always be a place for the singing reality show format. 50 years from now when Simon Cowell is dead, there'll just be another Simon Cowell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »
    I think there will always be a place for the singing reality show format. 50 years from now when Simon Cowell is dead, there'll just be another Simon Cowell.

Yeah.. It'll be his son who's taken over the empire!
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbh I think most of these programs have their day now, not just XF (Idol, The Voice etc) as their are so many other ways to get into the music industry.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    The thing is it's so hard to launch new formats successfully nowadays. The only one since The X Factor has been The Voice (unless you count Got Talent), but even that is already on its way out in a lot of markets. If The X Factor gets axed they will almost certainly try to replace it but as said I don't think there's much appeal in these shows anymore full stop.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could replace the X-Factor with the Y-Factor ?
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talent shows are becoming stale, they were a dominant force in the TV world back in the start of the 00s through to the end of it but since the start of this decade the interest has declined and is continuing that way.

More people seem interested in proper TV shows nowadays ie Breaking Bad, House Of Cards, Downton Abbey, The Walking Dead, Broadchurch. These types of shows are what most people seem to be talking about in regards to TV, (as well as soaps) I haven't heard many talk about singing shows since 2011.

Also look at The Voice, people say it's "failing" because it's a boring concept and doesn't make stars, I disagree, I think it's because people aren't interested much in singing shows now and can't be bothered to watch with TXF still around. Those that watch TXF seem to watch out of habit or are die hard fans ie who support the acts is buying the music and have watched for years.

Though BGT is doing fine, but that only started in 2007 and isn't fully a singing show whereas the TXF singing types started in 2000, 15 years of singing shows. Strictly I don't view as a talent show, more of an entertainment show.
  • dagger42dagger42 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    They almost took the firs step already. This month was supposed to see the debut of a new show "Rising Star" which I think originated in Isreal. It's pretty interactive and its a mixture between the audience and the judges as to whether someone gets through. (They have to get 70% approval rating I think and judges have 7% each with their rating) It did pretty well in several countries.

ITV pretty much said it would go head to head with The Voice but then the US (I think) did a version in 2014 which pretty much bombed big time and ITV decided to drop the UK version before it even started. The Voice gaining an increase in viewers probably helped the decision to pull the show.

Though the important thing to take from it is that ITV are not closing off the idea to another singing talent show...they already commisioned one show, who knows how close another one is that could potentially replace it.

The Amazing Rabbis - Hotel California

This is an example of an audition that got people talking from the original series :)
    Itv released a press release in Sept advising they have dropped plans to show "Rising star" after it flopped in US and Germany. They are showing "Get your act together" in the old Dancing on ice slot instead. This is the problem ITV have although X Factor is not getting the ratings it was, they are going to find it hard to find a programme that gets the ratings it is getting now.
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rising Star was a MASSIVE flop here in Portugal as well.

It aired Sunday nights in our most watched TV channel and still lost to The Voice in a way smaller channel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think with the rise of YouTube/social media it's so much easier to get spotted and signed by a label instead of going through a TV show.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kingsy wrote: »

His son Eric perhaps ;-)
  • Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully, it isn't replaced by more Downton Abbey...I still fail to see why people think its so good, but that's just me...
  • Kenneth_ChowKenneth_Chow Posts: 3,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    His son Eric perhaps ;-)

How many of us will actually be alive to see that happen???...I reckon I won't be...
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I second the downton thing. They really should make sunday evening tv not just for old people. 2 hour detective crap, depressed already with the thought of going to work, i dont need another show for 2 hours to bore the crap outta me