Options

Massive Asteroid Heads To Earth On Friday

124»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    NASA: High Alert As Massive Asteroid Heads To Earth On Friday

http://yournewswire.com/nasa-high-alert-as-massive-asteroid-heads-to-earth-on-friday/

This one kinda crept in, i had no idea this was happening

Hope we all make it through today !

It's OK, that top-notch media website reported:

"Experts warn if one of these monsters were to hit Earth plumes of debris thrown into the atmosphere, changing the climate and potentially making the planet inhabitable for all life."

So it's OK, immediately after the asteroid makes the earth uninhabitable, the plumes of debris will potentially make it inhabitable again. Must be what happened on Friday, thank goodness for news sites like yournewswire.com - journalistic standards beyond compare. Must be a feeder site for the Express or Mail.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NASA: High Alert As Massive Asteroid Heads To Earth On Friday

http://yournewswire.com/nasa-high-alert-as-massive-asteroid-heads-to-earth-on-friday/

This one kinda crept in, i had no idea this was happening

Hope we all make it through today !

The article says it's going to pass by Earth and not hit it though. It's amazing that this asteroid's not on course to smash into the Earth.
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's Saturday morning

A near miss at 13 LD

1 LD = the distance from the earth to the moon

So many rocks flying around out there, i'm just glad Earth is a fairly small target in the grand scheme of things, but we've been hit before

I'm in the mood to watch Deep Impact today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it's Saturday morning

A near miss at 13 LD

1 LD = the distance from the earth to the moon

So many rocks flying around out there, i'm just glad Earth is a fairly small target in the grand scheme of things, but we've been hit before

I'm in the mood to watch Deep Impact today

If I'm reading it right, Wikipedia says that the LD distance from Earth to the Moon is 389. I doubt people in the UK will get to see anything. We never, as far as I know, get to see anything like this.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the asteroid flew to within 238,000 miles of Earth, is that correct?

If it had a direct hit on the earth side of the moon that would look spectacular from Earth I guess, if the moon was nearly full or mainly visible. I wonder if such an enormous impact would have any effect down here though?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, right. Looks like I missed the chance to see it even if it was visible to the people of the UK then. I didn't notice the date below the headline in the link.