Options

Knocking pets over

Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why can't there be a fine for motorists who knock pets over?

It's not right that they get away with injuring or killing animals that belong to people who care deeply and passionatley about them. To me, it's the same as accidental murder.

Comments

• Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree entirely.

...just not in the politics forum. :)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree, how can a motorist be blamed if a cat runs out from nowhere?
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how about a fine for the owners of pets which are unsupervised/out of control and which actually cause accidents or get hit by a car? I once hit a dog which came charging over a hill on some open parkland onto the road straight in front of my car.
    I was paying attention and within the speed limit but there was nothing I could do. I too care about animals and I felt sick. :cry:
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be too hard to apply a law like this, how can you prove whether or not it was the dog that ran out infront of the car or vice versa?

Also, it would actually be a hazard for motorists to constantly be looking low at the ground for animals as they would be diverting their attention from traffic, which could potentially cause big accidents.

I have a dog and absolutely adore pets, however I also understand that something like this would be too hard to administer properly (in my opinion).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat_Smith wrote: »
    I agree entirely.

...just not in the politics forum. :)

I put it in the politics thread because I'm talking more about how it should legally result in a fine as opposed to pets being run over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I disagree, how can a motorist be blamed if a cat runs out from nowhere?

Maybe if a motorist was watching the road properly or not going at ridiculous speeds, these accidents could be avoided?

What gets me is that most can't even be bothered to stop their cars, get out and find who the animal belonged to. People like that make me sick because if I caused harm to someone's family member, I would tell them about it.

If a fine was introduced, it would put pressure on people to avoid these kind of issues in society. People pay good money for these pets and the government should take that into account to introduce consequences for anyone who causes harm to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And how about a fine for the owners of pets which are unsupervised/out of control and which actually cause accidents or get hit by a car? I once hit a dog which came charging over a hill on some open parkland onto the road straight in front of my car.
    I was paying attention and within the speed limit but there was nothing I could do. I too care about animals and I felt sick. :cry:

You don't know why the dog was charging about. It might have been a genuine accident; maybe it came out of its collar or someone accidentally forgot to close their gates? Everyone makes mistakes.

And the 'unsupervised/out of control' thing doesn't apply as a realistic argument to all pets. Cats aren't supposed to be supervised and are more independent of their owners, for example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be too hard to apply a law like this, how can you prove whether or not it was the dog that ran out infront of the car or vice versa?
    More speed cameras.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't know why the dog was charging about. It might have been a genuine accident; maybe it came out of its collar or someone accidentally forgot to close their gates? Everyone makes mistakes.

And the 'unsupervised/out of control' thing doesn't apply as a realistic argument to all pets. Cats aren't supposed to be supervised and are more independent of their owners, for example.
    The poster was suggesting that motorists should be fined whatever and I was just putting the counter argument.
    In practice it isn't necessarily the motorists fault and of course it could be a genuine accident that a dog runs out.
    Cats though - I guess they (and their owners) take their chances. Free roaming means free to get killed. I refuse to believe that ALL the squashed cats you see on the road are the result of wild eyed speeding motorists. In fact I wonder how many accidents they actually cause - seeing as it is usually instinct to brake or swerve if something dashes into the road.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More speed cameras.

How would cameras that trigger only when a vehicle passes them while over the speed limit prove who was at fault if the speed limit was being adhered to?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The poster was suggesting that motorists should be fined whatever and I was just putting the counter argument.
    In practice it isn't necessarily the motorists fault and of course it could be a genuine accident that a dog runs out.
    Cats though - I guess they (and their owners) take their chances. Free roaming means free to get killed. I refuse to believe that ALL the squashed cats you see on the road are the result of wild eyed speeding motorists.

The point still stands that people pay good money for these pets. Therefore motorists should face the consequences of knocking other's pets down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    How would cameras that trigger only when a vehicle passes them while over the speed limit prove who was at fault if the speed limit was being adhered to?

They could do a variation of the current speed cameras so they trigger regardless and then the police decide whether it was over the speed limit and look to see if a animal was run over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cats though - I guess they (and their owners) take their chances. Free roaming means free to get killed. I refuse to believe that ALL the squashed cats you see on the road are the result of wild eyed speeding motorists.

Without looking it up, I always thought you had to report an accident with a dog ( or maybe the person who told me that preferred them to cats).
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Why can't there be a fine for motorists who knock pets over?

It's not right that they get away with injuring or killing animals that belong to people who care deeply and passionatley about them. To me, it's the same as accidental murder.

Deliberately knocking down a dog is a crime isn't it ? :confused:
    Obviously if it's an accident it isn't, but the driver still has to stop and report it to the police.

Different rules for cats though, they are classed as semi-wild and have no protection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They could do a variation of the current speed cameras so they trigger regardless and then the police decide whether it was over the speed limit and look to see if a animal was run over.
    And this expense, time and effort is worth it because?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's already covered in the Road Traffic Act 1988 c52, section 170 "Duty of driver to stop, report accident and give information or documents".

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/170

In this section “animal” means horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog. Everything else is free roaming. Note you can run over a chicken, llama or cat without incurring the duty to report an accident
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Deliberately knocking down a dog is a crime isn't it ? :confused:
    Obviously if it's an accident it isn't, but the driver still has to stop and report it to the police.

Different rules for cats though, they are classed as semi-wild and have no protection.

That's not right. Cats should have the same rule applied to them. And it shouldn't matter if it is a accident or not; if you knock down a cat or whatever, it should be a automatic fine IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The point still stands that people pay good money for these pets. Therefore motorists should face the consequences of knocking other's pets down.
    I don't think 'money' comes into it for most pet owners. I mean that's hardly what most people would think about on getting the news that their pet had been knocked down :confused:
    As for consequences - yes of course - if it can be proved that the motorist was at fault.
    Otherwise sayonara Tiddles.... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And this expense, time and effort is worth it because?

Because they're living creatures like the rest of us and therefore should be treated as equals.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not right. Cats should have the same rule applied to them. And it shouldn't matter if it is a accident or not; if you knock down a cat or whatever, it should be a automatic fine IMO.

I'm sorry, but even as someone who has two cats... this is utter manure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sensing you're a cat owner?

Isn't the safety one can provide for a pet, something a person should consider before getting one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sensing you're a cat owner?

Isn't the safety one can provide for a pet, something a person should consider before getting one?

Isn't the speed of a car going down the hill or obstacles in the way of the road something a motorist should consider before driving?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the speed of a car going down the hill or obstacles in the way of the road something a motorist should consider before driving?

Are you a motorist?
    The cat might dash out from under a car, appear round a bend, whatever.. Even an experienced and careful driver won't always be able to stop in time or have anywhere to swerve to. Plus they could well jeopardise themselves and other road users in the process .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a motorist?

No. But if I was, I wouldn't drive at ridiculous speeds and if I saw a cat running across the road, I'd stop the car suddenly or swerve even if it meant risking my own life to save a animal that could be somebody's pet. I would certainly have the courtesy to stop the car and find out who it belonged to; carry the injured or dead body to the owner, apologise and offer to pay the vet bill (if injured).
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a dog is loose, then it should be shot.