Options

Digital UK how is their support

cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
Forum Member
Based on customer feedback I am surprised at the total lack of knowledge Digital UK has when it comes to retuning JVC Televisions.

Nearly every customer:mad: says the DUK agent mentions they do not have the instruction manuals or there is not enough menus on the TV WHAT ? ARE THEY ON !!!!

Maybe Digital UK would like some training in this respect, cause so far DUK staff are as much use as a chocolate fireguard!:mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So how are JVC Customer Services?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »

As most of their sets were just cheap Vestel ones they probably don't need any :p

I'm a bit bemused why someone claiming to work for JVC suddenly appears after JVC have pulled out of the UK TV market?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As most of their sets were just cheap Vestel ones they probably don't need any :p

I'm a bit bemused why someone claiming to work for JVC suddenly appears after JVC have pulled out of the UK TV market?.

Cause we have not pulled out of the UK Market all Televisions are made by JVC Japan for Comet as exclusive models, and all support is to be handled by Comet. I say supposed to be !:mad::mad: Although staff there have no scoobie doo!

Ask them for a Veezy 100 Dongle and see how far you get!
  • Options
    Forum Member

After 2 days of retunes KNACKERED!:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh, sorry: long soak in the bath time?:)

Why not ask the managers of Comet to write to Digital UK with all the instruction manuals and the retune guides they need to get up to speed? Nobody's Perfect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh, sorry: long soak in the bath time?:)

Why not ask the managers of Comet to write to Digital UK with all the instruction manuals and the retune guides they need to get up to speed? Nobody's Perfect.

Cause even managers of Comet so not know what they are selling. Also have you tried their wonderful automated telephone system charged at 10p per minute. No wonder customers then call us P*ssed off cause they have already been waiting 30 minutes with Comet, only for a numtpty to go, sorry cannot help (wont help) call JVC. :rolleyes:

All comments are of my own opinion and not of the company I may or may not represent :)
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a cheapo JVC TV from Comet a while back. WSS* doesn't work, except through the SCART socket - in fact, the default mode is actually to zoom and distort widescreen pictures (!). And it regularly gets confused when using the VGA port and lets me cycle through every text string in the software in the menus (it's always fun when that happens :p)

*Widescreen switching, ie switching to 4:3 when a 4:3 programme is on
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,530
    Forum Member
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    Cause we have not pulled out of the UK Market all Televisions are made by JVC Japan for Comet as exclusive models, and all support is to be handled by Comet.

Then why did JVC announce they were pulling out of the UK?, and how come Comet are now sourcing JVC TV's made in Japan (according to you - and I've no reason to disbelieve that) whereas JVC UK just sold cheap badged Vestel sets?.

There seems a major lack of JVC TV's for sale, apart from at Comet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nigel I honestly do not know why JVC Japan and Comet have a deal between them, but lets just say it has not worked from a Customer point of view. A few stories JVC TV with supposed Veezy 100 dongle, JVC nor Comet know where these can be sourced from. In that case to not promote a TV which has Internet facility if you cannot back those claims up. Repairs inside or outside of warranty, in some cases cannot be completed cause again JVC/Comet cannot get the parts, again do not sell a product you cannot back up with service.

We get calls despite the fact there is a number which belongs to Comet, and the reason we get the calls is simply due to Comets attitude of we sold a TV yeah it has gone wrong but tough mentality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Then why did JVC announce they were pulling out of the UK?, and how come Comet are now sourcing JVC TV's made in Japan (according to you - and I've no reason to disbelieve that) whereas JVC UK just sold cheap badged Vestel sets?.

There seems a major lack of JVC TV's for sale, apart from at Comet.

And those that are sold go wrong just as all previous models :rolleyes:
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzer wrote: »
    I bought a cheapo JVC TV from Comet a while back. WSS* doesn't work, except through the SCART socket - in fact, the default mode is actually to zoom and distort widescreen pictures (!). And it regularly gets confused when using the VGA port and lets me cycle through every text string in the software in the menus (it's always fun when that happens :p)

*Widescreen switching, ie switching to 4:3 when a 4:3 programme is on
    I think WSS only works through a SCART socket because there's a dedicated pin for it. What other connections were you expecting it to work on?

HDMI must have WSS for SD resolutions but it doesn't need it for HD ones (cos they're all 16:9).
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    HDMI must have WSS for SD resolutions but it doesn't need it for HD ones (cos they're all 16:9).

It doesn't seem to, HDMI tends to output 16:9 regardless. Some devices stretch 4:3 to full resolution (which is the recommended approach - use the TV's aspect ratio options to correct it back to 4:3). Others pillarbox 4:3 content.

Seems like a step back to me, you'd have thought a new standard would have the capability to signal 4:3 content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to, HDMI tends to output 16:9 regardless. Some devices stretch 4:3 to full resolution (which is the recommended approach - use the TV's aspect ratio options to correct it back to 4:3). Others pillarbox 4:3 content.
    What you're talking about here is the output of HD resolutions. 1280x720, 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 must be 16:9, so the device either has to stretch 4:3 content or add pillarboxes beforehand. Sky HD boxes for some reason only have the option to stretch when upscaling to 720p or 1080i, which is quite frankly crap.

However, 4:3 SD content can be sent over HDMI fine. If you set a Sky HD box to "auto" output, then it'll output a 576i signal when the content is 576i (SD). In this case 4:3 is outputted natively.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think WSS only works through a SCART socket because there's a dedicated pin for it. What other connections were you expecting it to work on?

I seem to remember that the BBC broadcast Civilisation in 4:3 in a non-anamorphic format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what that is but if it's broadcast on an SD channel then that may well be the case. On an HD channel, it can only be 16:9 (preferably with pillarboxes if the source is 4:3).
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    I am still confused why anyone would expect Digital UK to have any specific knowedge on how to retune particular makes and models of equipment especially when it is a such a minor player as JVC is in the UK TV market? :confused:
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    What you're talking about here is the output of HD resolutions.

Good point, I forgot I was upscaling.
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would expect it to work on the internal DTT tuner. It does not. All channels display by default in a weird zoomed/stretched mode even though the TV is widescreen - you have to manually switch between 16:9 and 4:3 with the remote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I am still confused why anyone would expect Digital UK to have any specific knowedge on how to retune particular makes and models of equipment especially when it is a such a minor player as JVC is in the UK TV market? :confused:

Yeah why should Digital UK have knowledge, especially Comet who have exclusive models made for them by JVC Japan, have no knowledge on them either:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I take it that you now accept the invalidity of your original complaint?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I take it that you now accept the invalidity of your original complaint?

Seems they have information on certain models and get stuck based on the info they have, it is then they ask the customer to call us, and because certain sets are Comet Exclusives we do not have any info either. So you can expect to understand why the customer ends p***ed off, when we have to refer them to Comet.

If Digital UK cannot simply advise a customer to do a factory reset on the models we can support then what does that say about their knowledge? Not much IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is rather more telling of the level of support Comet is able to give their customers even with a copy of the user manual to hand.