advice re French Digi box.

I have until recently been receiving French tv via a satellite dish beamed to Antlantic Bird 5W. I now have to get a digital box and as I am going to France in a few weeks I intend to bring one back.

Can anyone advise me on whether it is best to get a FranSat or a TNTSat box, and which are the best brands?

I have a French address if that is necessary to register a card

Thanks.

Comments

• jw75jw75 Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Fransat also uses AB3 at 5W but TNTSAT is on Astra satellites at 19.2E so the dish would need to move. Do you have line of sight to that location? Fransat would be easier if the LNB is universal as you can just plug the box in place of the existing one, but 19.2E has a lot more free-to-air channels available (mostly in German).

A simple non-subscription decoder can pick up some of the main public channels at 5W without a card, but you are better with a subscription box.

I assume your current box has a SCART connection to the TV. The new box will also have HDMI - you need that for full resolution on HD channels. I don't know what's available, but some boxes will be designed for recording.
  • Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that info, jw7. I will probably stay with Fransat as that will be simpler.

Do you know how I set about getting a subscription?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that info, Winston_1. I do have a universal LNB.

I'm not sure there is a LeRoy Merlin near me. I will look in Fnac,Carrefour or Castorama.
  • mw963mw963 Posts: 3,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear (and you did ask the question): when you buy the Fransat (or indeed TNTsat) box the card is in a cellophane wrapper inside, you just pop it in once you're connected. There's no need for a French address (although if the cards are eventually renewed there may be of course).
    Forum Member
    Is there any advantage in using a UK reseller?
    e.g. http://www.fransat.co.uk/whatis.php (there may be others, I didn't look further)
    Probably dearer than a French supermarket, but there's a UK address and phone number.
    Forum Member
    Yes I browsed that site last night. I am tempted to use it as it might be less hassle than bringing it from France.

One last (silly!) question. At the moment the tv I will be using for my French viewing is only HD ready, but the time will come when it will be replaced by full HD. If I go for the cheaper option of a SD box will it still be useable with a full HD tv?
  • macharemachare Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One last (silly!) question. At the moment the tv I will be using for my French viewing is only HD ready, but the time will come when it will be replaced by full HD. If I go for the cheaper option of a SD box will it still be useable with a full HD tv?
    Yes, although I would point out that my Samsung Full HD TV has a very poor scart connection. It needs an adapter cable

Also see the French Radio threat in the Freesat forum. It suggests that Fransat cards do not expire.
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,891
    Forum Member
    The quality of the HD channels on Fransat is really good, if you have the HD ready tv you might as well go fr the HD box and enjoy them.
    Forum Member
    According to the definitions, "HD Ready" means 720 horizontal lines (rows) and the set can handle 1080i (interlaced) but not 1080p pictures, though you'd need to check the TV specifications to be sure - they're usually at the back of the User Guide. You may not get much benefit from HD with the current set.

An HD Ready TV should have an HDMI port, so you can improve on a SCART connection, although TVs don't always switch automatically to an HDMI input when the connected device is switched on, like most SCART inputs do (I find this varies with TV). Some users find that annoying, especially if the TV defaults to internal tuner on power-up.

The UK site doesn't say which boxes they sell - only options are SD, HD or PVR - but you can always ask. One advantage could be easier repair under warranty.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have until recently been receiving French tv via a satellite dish beamed to Antlantic Bird 5W..
    You do realise there are quite a few French channels you can get on 5W without any sort of subscription?