Opinions on Wimbledon commentators

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Rubystar3 wrote: »
    I can't understand why the BBC keep bringing this totally inept idiot back every year, his "thoughts" on the matches would be better kept to himself. His love of stating the obvious when naming celebrities in the crowd and giving out trivia about them is embarrassing.;) How dare he touch poor Nadal's arm. Last night on BBC2 while John Lloyd was talking he was smiling at him in a really creepy OTT way, I was half expecting him to lean over and start kissing Lloyd.:o

The problem with Castle is that he thinks he has to 'compere' the match, both for the viewer and the other commentators. He's the genial host, keeping us all up to date with the trivia, the gossip, how the match of progressing, etc. etc. And he, like nature, abhors a vacuum. He just has to speak.
  • Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with Castle is that he thinks he has to 'compere' the match, both for the viewer and the other commentators. He's the genial host, keeping us all up to date with the trivia, the gossip, how the match of progressing, etc. etc. And he, like nature, abhors a vacuum. He just has to speak.

Kapel, I have to disagree with you. The problem with Castle is that he is an idiot.

I think it was in the 5th game of the first set where there had been routine service holds from both players, when he said words to the effect of:

"The crowd don't know to think here as they are seeing sublime tennis from the players".

I knew then that it was going to be a loooong afternoon. There was no sublime play, it was the usual finding your feet by both players. And I'm sure most of the crowd knew exactly what to think. *rolls eyes*.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    city fan wrote: »
    Another Wimbledon over - thanks for all the comments.

We could always have an ongoing thread to b***h about the commentators on Sky, Eurosport and BT sport for the remainder of the tennis season. :D

The US open is merely weeks away - thankfully they have the good sense to employ Petchey rather then Castle as the main commentator. His experience covering tennis all year round rather than just in June is obvious. Just hope Castle isn't drafted in to join the team as they will be missing Boris this year.
    Forum Member
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    Kapel, I have to disagree with you. The problem with Castle is that he is an idiot.

I think it was in the 5th game of the first set where there had been routine service holds from both players, when he said words to the effect of:

"The crowd don't know to think here as they are seeing sublime tennis from the players".

I knew then that it was going to be a loooong afternoon. There was no sublime play, it was the usual finding your feet by both players. And I'm sure most of the crowd knew exactly what to think. *rolls eyes*.

Oh I totally agree that that is also a big part of the problem :D

And yes, his comments about 'the crowd don't know what to think of the quality' were staggeringly inept!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    We could always have an ongoing thread to b***h about the commentators on Sky, Eurosport and BT sport for the remainder of the tennis season. :D

The US open is merely weeks away - thankfully they have the good sense to employ Petchey rather then Castle as the main commentator. His experience covering tennis all year round rather than just in June is obvious. Just hope Castle isn't drafted in to join the team as they will be missing Boris this year.

I fear we may all be disappointed Marty. I've noticed that Sky have been using Castle a lot more these past 12 months or so. And as you say, the absence of Boris may lead to more opportunities for him. I've noticed they don't seem to use Leif so much at the US. Maybe he has other media commitments?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I totally agree that that is also a big part of the problem :D

And yes, his comments about 'the crowd don't know what to think of the quality' were staggeringly inept!

You Sir, are a genius. Those were the exact words that almost gave me a heart attack. If DS did signatures, I reckon that would be a contender for mine.:D Combining inanity with the ridiculous. What more could you ask for?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    I fear we may all be disappointed Marty. I've noticed that Sky have been using Castle a lot more these past 12 months or so. And as you say, the absence of Boris may lead to more opportunities for him. I've noticed they don't seem to use Leif so much at the US. Maybe he has other media commitments?

He presents breakfast on Smooth Radio so i am guessing they won't be too happy if he cleared off

Somebody above asks about doing an ongoing thread, there is one in broadcasting all about commentary from various sports. You will be pleased to hear that Castle is as popular there as he is here.
  • city fancity fan Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    It is that time of year again. Andy Roddick joins the team this year.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for Roddick to at least be interesting or insightful rather than fawning or dull like most of the rest. I always like Courier at the French, especially when he's with Petchey. Pity that BBC or Sky never bring him in.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I'm hoping for Roddick to at least be interesting or insightful rather than fawning or dull like most of the rest. I always like Courier at the French, especially when he's with Petchey. Pity that BBC or Sky never bring him in.

Does Courier ever attend Wimbledon?
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have much hope for Roddick, only judging by his twitter feed, its rarely insightful or interesting,
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know he's not that popular, but I like John Inverdale. :o

He's to be heard in the commentary box this year, and after his efforts in the com box during Queen's I am looking forward to hearing him again.
    Forum Member
    I know he's not that popular, but I like John Inverdale. :o

He's to be heard in the commentary box this year, and after his efforts in the com box during Queen's I am looking forward to hearing him again.

Shocking :(

I guess the one benefit of hearing John Inverdale in the commentary box means we don't have to see John Inverdale presenting from the studio. And he had the nerve to criticise Bartolli's appearance...
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as we have Lyndsay and Marion I'm happy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course first match I watch Castle's voice pops up. Give me strength to get through the next 2 weeks :(
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have they got rid of the tit yet? Another year of Andrew Castle.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Does Courier ever attend Wimbledon?

Maybe for an American network. He never won Wimbledon so I guess the bbc don't think the casuals would have any idea who he is. After all, it's the only tennis tournament played every year.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shocking :(

I guess the one benefit of hearing John Inverdale in the commentary box means we don't have to see John Inverdale presenting from the studio. And he had the nerve to criticise Bartolli's appearance...

:D

I can't really explain it, but I do enjoy listening to his commentary.
  • Joan_FergusonJoan_Ferguson Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it time they had a wee word with Barry Davies about perhaps making this his last Wimbledon? Every year he comes back.

It's not as if he has any special knowledge about tennis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it time they had a wee word with Barry Davies about perhaps making this his last Wimbledon? Every year he comes back.

It's not as if he has any special knowledge about tennis.

I couldn't possibly disagree anymore. Thought he gave a masterclass in commentary today. A good commentator is one who knows when not to talk and what not to say, he is superb at that. Let's the pictures do the talking
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    I don't have much hope for Roddick, only judging by his twitter feed, its rarely insightful or interesting,

I think he'll be great

He's still a huge fan of the game, would have played with all the big guns here, isn't long out of the game, is very honest and I like his sarcastic sense of humour as well

What are the bets we'll see Hewitt joining the panel next year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably, the BBC love Hewitt as do the Wimbledon schedulers, doesn't matter about his rank he always gets a show court, so if he's game for commentary work, he'll do it.
    Forum Member
    I obviously don't know anything about the guy personally but you'd think the nice pay package and the chance to continue his annual trips to the Championships would easily sway him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    I obviously don't know anything about the guy personally but you'd think the nice pay package and the chance to continue his annual trips to the Championships would easily sway him!

Which he could well do for an Australian broadcaster. He'd be top dog there. On the BBC he'd be lower down the pecking order
    Forum Member
    Which he could well do for an Australian broadcaster. He'd be top dog there. On the BBC he'd be lower down the pecking order

Didn't Connors just come in last year and get the final though? You'd never know

Truthfully though I'm not even sure how much coverage Oz even give to Wimbledon?

He could do both even? Like Mac