F.r.i.e.n.d.s

Comments

• Brendan TBrendan T Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Never got the whole Pheobe twin thing
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason that Jennifer Ainston and Courtney Cox are best friends but not Lisa as well?

Did all the cast get on?
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brendan T wrote: »
    Never got the whole Pheobe twin thing

The twin thing was funnier if you ever watched Mad About You as Ursula played the waitress in that programme. There was a kind of 'crossover' from the Mad About You characters appearing in Friends.
    Forum Member
    BBTweets wrote: »
    The twin thing was funnier if you ever watched Mad About You as Ursula played the waitress in that programme. There was a kind of 'crossover' from the Mad About You characters appearing in Friends.

You mean the actor or character ursula was in a different programme?
  • chloedancerchloedancer Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I LOVE Friends and never get sick of watching the repeats if I'm around when there on.My favourite character was Ross from season 2/3 onwards.Some of his dating situations are hilarious and I think they could put him any of the other 5 in an episode and the situation was usually funny.Also loved the Rachel and Monica characters.Phoebe always got on my nerves a bit.

Funny how Phoebes brother Frank(well the actor who played him) appeared in an episode retrieving a condom from her busking hat in an episode before she ever met him:D

I was watching the episode with Joey dating his stalker( Brooke Shields) the other day and its weird watching it now,that I read(in Andre Agassi autobiography) that at the time where she is licking and sucking Joeys fingers.Andre was in the audience watching and got into a rage and was close to jumping over the barrier to punch Matt le Blanc:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    You mean the actor or character ursula was in a different programme?
    Both. Lisa Kudrow played Ursula in Mad About You before Friends started.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    i Love Friends but i never understood why Rachel was so popular early Rachel season1-3 was barable but after that she just became more & more annoying as the series went on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    It irritated me how they changed Phoebe's character from the hippy, friendly if naive persona of the earlier episodes into quite an arrogant one. She has her moments (usually involving the brilliant Paul Judd as Mike) but I never really connected with her.

Regards favourite character, I'd say Chandler in the earlier seasons (who, along with perhaps Rachel, was the 'main' character, really, getting the best lines) and Ross in the later seasons (who was developed superbly as the series went on). Rachel was another great character. Monica was solid enough (if a little irritating at times - Courtney Cox seemed to overact on occasion...maybe I'm being harsh!). Joey veered between a lovable idiot savant and a very annoying 'dumb' pastiche, the nadir being the episodes where he 'tries' to speak French and the pointless 'identical hand twin' storyline in the Vegas episodes, which was so tacked on it was actually painful.

Friends was a great programme, but I did think some very good characters were hooked unnecessarily - particularly Monica's rich boyfriend, Pete, who could and perhaps should have had a longer stint. And ending it by him wanting to be wrestling champion of the world, or whatever it was, was just plain stupid. Thought Alec Baldwin was great value, too. The less said about Brad Pitt, the better...:eek:
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    Matt Le Blanc has appeared in some crap films, but he is in a new UK sitcom called Episodes(?) soon on BBC2 and rumour has it that he's v good in it.

The sitcom role shouldn't prove too challenging. Apparently he is playing himself! So in TV he went from playing Joey to...playing Joey and now playing Matt LeBlanc i.e. the actor who played Joey!
    Forum Member
    xkatieloux wrote: »
    Both. Lisa Kudrow played Ursula in Mad About You before Friends started.

Oh wow, and the makers of that show happily let her pop into friends?
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It irritated me how they changed Phoebe's character from the hippy, friendly if naive persona of the earlier episodes into quite an arrogant one. She has her moments (usually involving the brilliant Paul Judd as Mike) but I never really connected with her.

Too much Phoebe hate on here! I like the bit where she's meeting Mike's(?) rich parents and starts talking like Katherine Hepburn. And the 'blink-and-you-miss-it' scene where (after ten series!) she gets the pun in "Central Perk".
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Too much Phoebe hate on here! I like the bit where she's meeting Mike's(?) rich parents and starts talking like Katherine Hepburn. And the 'blink-and-you-miss-it' scene where (after ten series!) she gets the pun in "Central Perk".

Haha yeah I remember that.

They really moved on quickly from her birth though didn't they?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    Make the most of it, C4&E4 won't be showing it from next Nov onwards.

That day should be declared a national holiday.

:)
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure Friends and Mad About You were created by the same trio of writers Crane, Kauffman and Bright. Or maybe I imagined that.

They also wrote the hugely underated Dream On, which C4 used to show on Friday nights.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I have to admit friends is still a bit of a guilty pleasure (especially if I've got a hangover) as it's just "background" viewing. Although the first few seasons I prefer less for some reason. It just seems a bit like they were trying too hard to be liked by everyone.
    My favourite was always Phoebe. She's always had some of the best one liners and the quickest wit. Least favourite was probably Monica. I just found her annoying and overbearing as the season went on she seemed to become a parody of her character, the same as Joey. If you watch the first few seasons, Joey isn't anyway near as "thick" as he's made out to be later on. The most infuriating episode has to be when Phoebe tried teaching Joey French. Bad writingat it's worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Phoebe's songs with random lyrics were great especially the inimitable 'Smelly Cat' :) They so should have released an album of them!
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how Phoebes brother Frank(well the actor who played him) appeared in an episode retrieving a condom from her busking hat in an episode before she ever met him:D

What used to really irritate me is the number of times they used actors and then brought them back as different characters. Frank Jnr was one, and Joey's agent (the wonderful Estelle) was the midwife when Carol gave birth to Ben.

There was also one guy who was an extra on the show, and he'd always be in the coffee house or living opposite Ross. He then started turning up everywhere randomly- he was even a passenger on the plane that Rachel was taking to Paris. I hate that I notice these things!

Agree about Pete, his part was brilliant. Guess Jon Favreau could only commit to so many episodes- he's pretty big in the States.

One of my favourite smaller parts was Sam Pancake as the waiter in their favourite restaurant. He was there when Joey confessed his feelings for Rachel and when Ross got stood up. He was so acerbic and camp!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason JANICE is has to be in EVERY series?

U have an awful lot of friends related questions! and i thought u hadn't watched all tof the eps yet (as u complained to one poster they had ruined the monica/chandler marriage for u) yet u know janice appears in every series?

:confused:
  • LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grobee81 wrote: »
    U have an awful lot of friends related questions! and i thought u hadn't watched all tof the eps yet (as u complained to one poster they had ruined the monica/chandler marriage for u) yet u know janice appears in every series?

:confused:

To be fair he was getting through the episodes at a cracking rate so he may be done by now! Maybe he meant she's been in every series SO FAR.

I loved Janice, but I agree with the consensus here- only in small doses
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friends was a great programme, but I did think some very good characters were hooked unnecessarily - particularly Monica's rich boyfriend, Pete, who could and perhaps should have had a longer stint. And ending it by him wanting to be wrestling champion of the world, or whatever it was, was just plain stupid. Thought Alec Baldwin was great value, too. The less said about Brad Pitt, the better...:eek:

That wrestling champion thing was just daft, and I find those among the worst episodes.

Disagree about Brat Pitt. I thought he was fantastic, aside from the way the writers had Phoebe fawning all over him which distracted from Brad's performence because it was just used as a blatant reminder that we were watching Brad Pitt, which seemed more important to the powers that be than letting us watch Brad Pitt as Will.

Reguarding your point about Pete, I feel the same way about Gary from season five. I think he and Pheobe were awesome together and was gutted when they split up so quickly. I liked Gary a lot better than any other of Phoebe's dates/boyfriends, including Mike. I never felt the chemistry between Mike and Phoebe at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think Lisa Kudrow/Ursula was in Mad About You before Friends.

Another 'link' between both shows would be Hank Azaria (Phoebe's boyfriend David) who was the real life boyfriend of Helen Hunt. He played their dog walker in Mad About You.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    That wrestling champion thing was just daft, and I find those among the worst episodes.

Disagree about Brat Pitt. I thought he was fantastic, aside from the way the writers had Phoebe fawning all over him which distracted from Brad's performence because it was just used as a blatant reminder that we were watching Brad Pitt, which seemed more important to the powers that be than letting us watch Brad Pitt as Will.

Reguarding your point about Pete, I feel the same way about Gary from season five. I think he and Pheobe were awesome together and was gutted when they split up so quickly. I liked Gary a lot better than any other of Phoebe's dates/boyfriends, including Mike. I never felt the chemistry between Mike and Phoebe at all.

Agreed about Gary. And that was another silly way to end his character - (what was it, shooting a bird in bed? Just, very lazy). Disagree about him being better than Mike, though, who really was one of my favourite 'extra' characters in Friends (along with, perhaps, Estelle, who was criminally underused). His awkward night with Ross is a masterclass in comic timing from both.

And I really thought Brad Pitt was poor. Not just because the producers were basically saying "hey look, it's Brad Pitt!" but I just thought he didn't have the natural timing for the show. Came across as very wooden. Compare and contrast with Bruce Willis who was surprisingly excellent. Rachel's sisters on the other hand (Christina Applegate and ?) were both top drawer and were involved in some classic scenes with the consistently superb Jennifer Aniston.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed about Gary. And that was another silly way to end his character - (what was it, shooting a bird in bed? Just, very lazy). Disagree about him being better than Mike, though, who really was one of my favourite 'extra' characters in Friends (along with, perhaps, Estelle, who was criminally underused). His awkward night with Ross is a masterclass in comic timing from both.

And I really thought Brad Pitt was poor. Not just because the producers were basically saying "hey look, it's Brad Pitt!" but I just thought he didn't have the natural timing for the show. Came across as very wooden. Compare and contrast with Bruce Willis who was surprisingly excellent. Rachel's sisters on the other hand (Christina Applegate and ?) were both top drawer and were involved in some classic scenes with the consistently superb Jennifer Aniston.

Reese Witherspoon was the other sister.

Just remembered that Matt LeBlanc also played Christina Applegate's boyfriend in Married With Children - basically playing the same 'dumb' Joey character.
  • Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Christina Applegate and Bruce Willis were brilliant as guest stars. I also always enjoyed Hank Azaria's appearances as 'David', especially in the final season.

Reece Witherspoon's appearances annoyed me for some reason and Brad Pitt was stiffer than an MFI sideboard.

Going back to Season Two (or was it One), when the character Mindy appeared, I could not believe that it was Jennifer Grey. Is surgery meant to make you unrecognisable?!
    Forum Member
    Loon wrote: »
    To be fair he was getting through the episodes at a cracking rate so he may be done by now! Maybe he meant she's been in every series SO FAR.

I loved Janice, but I agree with the consensus here- only in small doses

Thanks LOOn that is what I meant ... SO far.

To the other person, if you want to try and 'shame and expose' people please do a better job ;)
    I agree that Christina Applegate and Bruce Willis were brilliant as guest stars. I also always enjoyed Hank Azaria's appearances as 'David', especially in the final season.

Reece Witherspoon's appearances annoyed me for some reason and Brad Pitt was stiffer than an MFI sideboard.

Going back to Season Two (or was it One), when the character Mindy appeared, I could not believe that it was Jennifer Grey. Is surgery meant to make you unrecognisable?!

Did anyone like the george clooney scene? Monica and Rachel bitching about each other but as the other person is my fave friends scene ever!
This discussion has been closed.