Options

NBA 2013-14 thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More injuries for Bulls tonight with Noah being out, ahh well such as life!
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How's the BT coverage then so far ?
  • Options
    davidmcdavidsondavidmcdavidson Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Have had good games so far and repeated at decent times with all the timeouts cut out!
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the Lakers game last night, wow they are poor. They were in the game for about 5 minutes then .. they weren't. Going to be a depressing season for Laker fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think it could be bad being a Lakers fan?! Try being a Bulls fan!

All we seem to have is one injured player after another!

D-Rose is out for another year, I doubt that he will ever be back to his MVP best!
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have had good games so far and repeated at decent times with all the timeouts cut out!

I used to like Sky Sports 1 hour highlight show. No timeouts or in-studio analysing. Just the ball game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BT sport have got all the Xmas day games!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they only had the two they are trailing atm, but yep all 5. Awesome.
    The Heat game last night was bonkers btw, had a playoff atmosphere about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shame that only two of the games will be any good tho, Rockets Spurs at 1am and Clips Warriors at 3:30am (I'll catch the repeat on that one thank you! :p). And thank goodness it will be national commentators, the local guys annoy me with their rose tinted glasses view on most things :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The special Christmas uniforms/jerseys were not real-time liking, they made the matches look like training exercises I thought.

Still it was good to see a Bulls victory, and without so many key players like Deng and of course D-Rose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only got to see the Lakers Heat game live, the no-name Lakers were actually hanging in there until they got steamrollered in the 4th quarter by the Heat offence. Highlight was D Wade's off the glass set up for James's left foot take-off, left handed slam.

The Christmas sneakers/ unis are kind of cynical marketing excercise :/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Thoughts on the Christmas Day games:

The Nets and Knicks both looked dreadful. Ugh, it was horrific to watch. JR Smith was just jacking up every shot he could. OKC were just eating them alive by the end.

Loved Heat/Lakers. This LA team without Kobe or Nash are playing aggressively and it's great to watch. Nick Young's long 3 over Lebron was awesome. Unlike JR Smith, Young seems to play with heart, despite his flaws. Lebron's two dunks were CRAZY though. He's quietly getting even better this season and it's getting somewhat lost in all of the Pacers/Portland/Clippers buzz, which is scary.

As expected, GSW/Clippers was the game of the day. Just fantastic stuff from start to finish. Really thought LA were going to get the win and thought that Crawford was going to land that 3 in the final second, but it was not to be. Some horrific officiating in this one too - there's no way Griffin should have been ejected when he was. Awful, awful call. I liked the tempers flaring between these teams again and can't wait until their next game on Jan. 30th!
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never really been a fan of basketball, but I went to see Nets vs 76ers while in New York recently, and now I "get it".

My wife is getting cheesed off now, ice hockey and football were bad enough apparently, but if I start following another sport...!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the Deng era at the Bulls is over, he is no a partner of Irving's at the Cav's.

It was nice to have him at the Bulls, but I suppose everything has to come to an end sooner or later.
  • Options
    RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone read this story the gist is 2 Brothers who owned an ABA team in the mid 70s which was a rival to the NBA when the leagues merged the Brothers were offered a deal for their franchise which is 1/7th of TV revenue in perpetuity, meaning, forever.:D http://www.celebritynetworth.com/articles/entertainment-articles/the-greatest-sports-business-deal-of-all-time/

I saw that there was an update to this today (both in your link and in general elsewhere).

http://www.sportbusiness.com/tv-sports-markets/nba-close-resolving-%E2%80%98greatest-deal-sports%E2%80%99-report

"NBA close to resolving ‘greatest deal in sports’ - report

Date: 7 JANUARY 2014
    North American basketball league the NBA is close to agreeing a conditional deal that will end the payment of a share of national television revenues to the owners of the Spirits of St. Louis franchise in the defunct American Basketball Association, according to the New York Times newspaper.

The revenue-sharing agreement was formed in the wake of the 1976 merger of the two leagues and has been called the greatest deal in sports history, if not in American business as a whole. The merger saw the Spirits excluded from the merger, which granted entry to the NBA for the Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers, San Antonio Spurs and the franchise that was then called the New York Nets. The Spirits’ owners, Ozzie and Daniel Silna, reached an agreement to be paid one-seventh of the national television revenue that the four franchises were to receive as long as the NBA existed – an amount that the Times said has so far risen to around $300m (€220.6m).

The NBA has previously tried to buy the Silnas out of the agreement and negotiations are said to have progressed over the past six to nine months. The Times said that the Silnas, the league and the four former ABA teams will today (Tuesday) announce a conditional deal that will make major revisions to the initial agreement.

Under the terms of the deal, the Silnas will reportedly receive a $500m upfront payment, financed through a private placement of notes by JPMorgan Chase and Merrill Lynch. This will end the huge perpetual payments and settle a lawsuit filed in federal court by the Silnas that demanded additional compensation from sources of television revenue that did not exist in 1976. These include league-owned cable-television channel NBA TV, foreign broadcasts of games and League Pass, the service that lets fans watch out-of-market games.

However, the Times said that the Silnas will continue to receive some television revenue through a new partnership that is set to be formed with the Nets - now known as the Brooklyn Nets - the Pacers, the Nuggets and the Spurs. The newspaper added that the Silnas can be bought out of their interest in the partnership at a future date."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a heads up; this Thursday (16th Jan). NBA on a sensible time on a weekday, and from London.

7:45pm
    Live NBA
    Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets Atlanta Hawks v Brooklyn Nets (Tip-off 8.00pm). Coverage of the Eastern Conference encounter at the O2 Arena in London
    Category Basketball

Edit: Should be a good game,enjoyed the Nets double overtime win over the Heat the other day. Rather jealous of the people going (I never seem to find out about these things in time).
  • Options
    bamberbamber Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LeBron back to Cleveland.

read last week all the talk, but didn't think it would happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I've been loving all of the off-season drama so far. Where do we think Kevin Love will go? The Cavs have signed Wiggins to his rookie deal, so he can't be traded for 30 days now.

I just can't wait for the new season to start. Still seems so far away, but at least we have the FIBA World Cup to tide us over until then.