SPOTY 2014 Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Would they have to share the award with their guides if they were to win?

That's the only thing. They should do but whether they will is another thing.
  • joshua_martinjoshua_martin Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    if england can beat india in the cricket and there is a particular good performer then they will have a good chance
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Sadly Murray won't be gaining success at Wimbledon but he still has the US Open to come which is one of his favourites.

Looking at previous results I noticed even though the guy has won double gold in the past 2 years Mo Farah hasn't come in the top 3...maybe that will change if he collects 2 more in the Commonwealth games as suggested before in this thread?

I'm hoping Mo will do well at the Commonwealth Games and pick up the award. He's done great the last two years, and could easily have won in other years, but he's had bad timing. I'd like to see a decent number of nominees from the Commonwealth Games, assuming there are the performances.

Even if Murray wins the US Open, I don't think it will be enough, not the year after winning it for Wimbledon. He might get bonus points for coming back from surgery, but he's won the US Open before, so it would get less attention and most people will just remember a difficult season and disappointing Wimbledon. My personal view is that if an athlete has won the award once, then they shouldn't really be considered unless they do something bigger, or what they did is very big in a fairly quiet year. People who perform consistently well on the big stage can be further rewarded with a life-time achievement gong.

I don't think you should ignore the fact that sports like tennis attract some of the best athletes in the world, partly because they are well rewarded. However, it is well rewarded, and it's important that we remember that getting to the top in any sport is worthy of praise. The sport specific trophies must always be what drives each athlete, but SPOTY is of great value to the long term careers of people in the lower profile sports.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Sadly Murray won't be gaining success at Wimbledon but he still has the US Open to come which is one of his favourites.

Looking at previous results I noticed even though the guy has won double gold in the past 2 years Mo Farah hasn't come in the top 3...maybe that will change if he collects 2 more in the Commonwealth games as suggested before in this thread?

BTW Sean - IF only that had happened!

Funnily enough Mo came 3rd in 2011 before the double gold years.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laddergoat wrote: »
    That's the only thing. They should do but whether they will is another thing.

I don't see why not. The guide is just as important and it's a partnership so it's not much different to Torvill & Dean really. I think Kelly Gallagher & her guide Charlotte Evans will probably be nominated.

I'd like Mo to win. Hopefully he'll be OK for the Commonwealths after pulling out of the Diamond League this weekend. I think for him to have a chance he would need to win Gold at the Europeans as well I don't know if he has any plans to run in Zurich. KJT is a good shout for a nomination as well - she's ranked number 1 in the world after her victory in Gotzis and I expect her to win gold in Glasgow although Brianne Theisen-Eaton will provide good competition. I also think she could win gold in the Long Jump in the Euros - she looks capable of jumping 7m.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Lewis hamilton maybe?

Just checked with the bookies and he's currently 13/8 favourite in front of chris froome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I don't see why not. The guide is just as important and it's a partnership so it's not much different to Torvill & Dean really. I think Kelly Gallagher & her guide Charlotte Evans will probably be nominated.

I'd like Mo to win. Hopefully he'll be OK for the Commonwealths after pulling out of the Diamond League this weekend. I think for him to have a chance he would need to win Gold at the Europeans as well I don't know if he has any plans to run in Zurich. KJT is a good shout for a nomination as well - she's ranked number 1 in the world after her victory in Gotzis and I expect her to win gold in Glasgow although Brianne Theisen-Eaton will provide good competition. I also think she could win gold in the Long Jump in the Euros - she looks capable of jumping 7m.

That's a good point about Kelly & Charlotte like Torvill & Dean, they've both put in just as much effort in as each other.

Mo will probably be nominated again should he win at the Commonwealths or Europeans.

For saying the year hasn't been as fruitful (so far) as the previous two, there are a good handful of people that could be nominated
    Lizzie Yarnold
    Carl Froch
    Gareth Bale
    Jonny Wilkinson
    Kelly Gallagher & Charlotte Evans
    Jade Etherington
    And they're just the ones that have actually done something so far. You've obviously got the likes of Mo, KJT, Chris Froome (although maybe not after today), Tom Daley (if he wins gold), Andy Murray (if he wins the US Open), Lewis Hamilton (if he wins the World Chammpionship).
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's Chris Froome out of the running.

Still think a golfer could come with a late run.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly, I can't say I'm overly sad about Froome not getting SPOTY. I've never warmed to him personally.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that's Chris Froome out of the running.

Still think a golfer could come with a late run.

And Cav. I don't think they can award it this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis Hamilton now odds on
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather the prize when to someone from the Commonwealth Games than Hamilton. It's a high profile, high glamour sport, but I find it all deathly dull, and I think that a traditional sport (one without an engine) should get priority. I know F1 drivers are fit, and there's always someone who will insist that they are fitter than Olympic marathon runners, but IMO, it's not the same.
    Bosox wrote: »
    Honestly, I can't say I'm overly sad about Froome not getting SPOTY. I've never warmed to him personally.

It's probably for the best. I doubt he'd have won, even if he had won.:p

He's much lower profile and less of a 'celebrity' than Wiggins, and he doesn't feel British.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Well, so far we can rule out cricket, tennis, cycling and football. Rugby hasn't been too great this year either (both codes). Hamilton if he wins the title, otherwise winter Olympics or Commonwealth games unless a golfer or boxer gets it.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd think it will be between Lewis and Mo Farah.. assuming them both do well this year.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I'd rather the prize when to someone from the Commonwealth Games than Hamilton. It's a high profile, high glamour sport, but I find it all deathly dull, and I think that a traditional sport (one without an engine) should get priority. I know F1 drivers are fit, and there's always someone who will insist that they are fitter than Olympic marathon runners, but IMO, it's not the same.

So because he races a car he doesn't deserve to win the award? F1's a sport, and he's probably the fastest driver in the sport, so if he becomes world champion for a second time this year then he'd be more than deserving of the prize. It doesn't demean his achievements in any way that he's a racing driver, he's still an exceptional athlete.

For me, Hamilton will be clear favourite if he goes onto win the title. We could do with some golfing success in the next few weeks to widen the field a bit though, as it's looking a bit sparse as things stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    So because he races a car he doesn't deserve to win the award? F1's a sport, and he's probably the fastest driver in the sport, so if he becomes world champion for a second time this year then he'd be more than deserving of the prize. It doesn't demean his achievements in any way that he's a racing driver, he's still an exceptional athlete.

For me, Hamilton will be clear favourite if he goes onto win the title. We could do with some golfing success in the next few weeks to widen the field a bit though, as it's looking a bit sparse as things stand.

To be fair he just said he didn't like the sport so would prefer he didn't win it, in combination with the car. I agree myself.

Yet if he wins I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it in such a poor year.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

It's probably for the best. I doubt he'd have won, even if he had won.:p

He's much lower profile and less of a 'celebrity' than Wiggins, and he doesn't feel British.

If Wiggins does well at the Commonwealths - he is doing track and road I think? - I wouldn't actually rule out him winning it again. In terms of achievement it wouldn't compare to 2012 but the Games will get good coverage on the BBC and he is still so popular with many. Wonder what his odds are? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Wiggins does well at the Commonwealths - he is doing track and road I think? - I wouldn't actually rule out him winning it again. In terms of achievement it wouldn't compare to 2012 but the Games will get good coverage on the BBC and he is still so popular with many. Wonder what his odds are? :)

100/1 with Ladbrokes
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100/1 with Ladbrokes

Interesting - thanks! :)
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is are the Commonwealths high-profile enough for someone to win SPOTY off the back of it? I'd have thought the fact that, in most cases, a winner of any particular event will have done so with a lot of other world class athletes not allowed to compete could count against them. That's why I think Farah could struggle to get the votes even if he sweeps his events again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is are the Commonwealths high-profile enough for someone to win SPOTY off the back of it? I'd have thought the fact that, in most cases, a winner of any particular event will have done so with a lot of other world class athletes not allowed to compete could count against them. That's why I think Farah could struggle to get the votes even if he sweeps his events again.

Depends on the viewing figures and whether any of the Olympic spirit is left. I hope Mo wins because over the last few years he deserves it.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Commonwealths are going to get bigger coverage than ever before this time round because it's in Scotland and in the afterglow of the London Olympics.

Also different events have different quality fields. Some events at the Comms are quasi World Championships with all the top competitors eligible, others are massively reduced in quality.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On it's own probably not - though Mo will still have to race against a lot of top Africans including the Kenyans in Glasgow (but no Ethiopians) are missing so it won't be a walk in the park. A win at the Europeans as well would help but he hasn't confirmed if he's running there yet.

Paula Radcliffe won in 2002 after winning gold in the Manchester Games but she also won gold at Europeans, won the London Marathon and set the first of her world records winning the Chicago Marathon in the Autumn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you think the vast majority of the British watching public know that ? I would be surprised, they see a British victory and applaud it. There will be Kenyans in the field too so it isn't a gimme for Mo.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jay29 wrote: »
    Lewis hamilton maybe?

Just checked with the bookies and he's currently 13/8 favourite in front of chris froome.

I would never vote for Hamilton.