Options

Ukraine Winners. Seriously?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    EuroFoxiEuroFoxi Posts: 12,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They constantly accuse Azerbaijan/Turks of 'denying' the Armenian Genocide.

So that's why it was considered provocactive enough to be changed, if I remember correctly.

The song itself wasn't changed at all. Like Ukraine's song.

Had Jamala's song been called '2014' then maybe it would have been changed also.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That could be construed as being political but they don't mention Azerbaijan or Turkey, there's no date given, the lyrics are quite oblique really. The performance of the Ukraine one as well is very different with a rather anguished performance. Also reading up on this the Armenian delegation didn't even stress any political context, whereas the Ukrainian one is self evident and admitted fully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    That could be construed as being political but they don't mention Azerbaijan or Turkey, there's no date given, the lyrics are quite oblique really. The performance of the Ukraine one as well is very different with a rather anguished performance. Also reading up on this the Armenian delegation didn't even stress any political context, whereas the Ukrainian one is self evident and admitted fully.

The performance was by 'Genealogy' to mark the 100th anniversary of the genocide, hence why they all wore symbolic purple flowers and their music video saw members of a family disappear. The group was made up of Armenians who's ancestors had to flee from their motherland because of the genocide at the time. The song was exclusively about the genocide, hence why the 'Don't Deny' lyric was thought to be aimed at AZ.

Had the song just been presented as a song called 'Don't Deny' sang by just any group from Armenia without any of the dramatics, then it would have all been fine I am sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    The performance was by 'Genealogy' to mark an anniversary of the genocide, hence why the all wore symbolic purple flowers and the music video saw members of a family disappear. The group was made up of Armenians who's relatives had to flee from their motherland because of the genocide at the time. The song was exclusively about the genocide, hence why the 'Don't Deny' lyric was thought to be aimed at AZ.

That's your interpretation (and why you say thought to be), but my point is they didn't say that's what it was and they didn't promote it as that. A stark difference to the Ukrainian song which was admitted to be directly about an historical atrocity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    starry wrote: »
    That's your interpretation (and why you say thought to be), but my point is they didn't say that's what it was and they didn't promote it as that. A stark difference to the Ukrainian song which was admitted to be directly about an historical atrocity.

Well, they promoted it as this for weeks on end. So they kind of did say it was that. Every week they revealed a new member of the group from a different continent in the world. The entry for last year was to celebrate (for want of a better word) the 100th anniversary of the genocide. That was its gimmick. It isn't just my interpretation.

The 'Don't Deny' lyric, if that's what you mean, obviously Azerbaijan got offended by it (shocker! :p) and asked for it to be changed. So yes, it can be interpreted in many ways. It could have just been a nice little ditty with the lyric 'Don't Deny' in, like you say, but come on, given the purpose of the act and the current/historic relations between these two countries I personally wouldn't be surprised if it were put there on purpose.

And yes, about Jamala, I agree. But that wasn't until after the contest. She didn't promote it as this before or during the contest hence why it was accepted I guess? I don't know...

The EBU is a crazy organisation. ;-):kitty:

Edit: And, clearly it doesn't matter if it's based on historical politics. Both Armenia and Ukraine have got away with it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the issue is on the Ukraine song being called 1944 or 2014 because both that and the Armenian song were about the past in some way, it's a matter of whether they were to incite or not. The Armenian one seemed to focus on Armenians being from different parts of the world, and they said don't deny was about not forgetting their roots. Of course it could be interpreted differently no doubt about it, and perhaps the irony is that those who didn't want a song about the genocide put the focus on it being about that.

And, frankly, I think many more people are concerned with the whole Ukraine situation than most are about Armenia anyway. Ukraine is simply given much more news coverage, and of course Russia in general has had plenty of controversy with Putin. People just see the whole thing as much more dangerous within the world context.
    EuroFoxi wrote: »
    Edit: And, clearly it doesn't matter if it's based on historical politics. Both Armenia and Ukraine have got away with it now.

Yes. But the reality with history is that politicians use it, just picking out parts that are useful for them, to promote whatever outlook they want from people. Ideally people would let things rest, but some people always want to keep things alive if they feel it suits them.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I just watched it again and I'm laughing at how it won, its awful!!
  • Options
    VerrillionVerrillion Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Ok Australian song may have been good but let them uppity newcomers learn this is Europe with political infighting and backscatching to every vote on anything.
    And any chance to vote for two fingers to Putin was always going to be a goer.
    You forgotten already the airplane taken out with European citizens onboard over Ukraine lots of European countries will not have.
    Major missed opportunity by Graham Norton to comment on seeing the spitting image of a auful drag act heed been to see in a seedy pub turn up as the German entry.
  • Options
    Edwin OkliEdwin Okli Posts: 4,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched it again and I'm laughing at how it won, its awful!!

The people voted for it. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My problem really is the chorus which I find boring sounding (it's just a chant), the rest of it is fine though. The chorus still has atmosphere I suppose. And it's obvious that it sounded different to any else, so it stood out. From what I can remember this is the first time a genuinely eastern sounding song has won since 2007.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a poor winner but this year didn't have an overly high standard in my opinion.
    That's exactly what I've been saying but I accused of being stuck in the past just because I thought the songs were fairly boring overall. The trouble with the Ukraine song is that it wasn't a Eurovision song. It was miserable, it was an in one ear and out the other song. Eurovision songs should be a bit more upbeat or a bit more fun.
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    Well it seems you guys are in a minority because most of the continent loved it.

But I guess they are all wrong and you are right?
    I couldn't give a toss how many people liked it. I thought it was shite. We are allowed our own opinions you know.
  • Options
    steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    I couldn't give a toss how many people liked it. I thought it was shite. We are allowed our own opinions you know.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=82427282&postcount=37

Hmm :kitty:
  • Options
    Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ItsNick wrote: »
    That's exactly what I've been saying but I accused of being stuck in the past just because I thought the songs were fairly boring overall. The trouble with the Ukraine song is that it wasn't a Eurovision song. It was miserable, it was an in one ear and out the other song. Eurovision songs should be a bit more upbeat or a bit more fun.
    A Eurovision song is anything that enters the contest. :confused: The more variety, the better IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recorded version that someone mentioned earlier on the forum does have more of a beat to it, which I think gives slightly more impetus to the chorus.

But I agree that Eurovision songs don't have to be one style, it just depends on what a song needs. In the case of the winner this year the chorus did need a bit more of a kick in the live performance for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora. wrote: »
    A Eurovision song is anything that enters the contest. :confused: The more variety, the better IMO.

No. No. No. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. ;-)

A song can only be considered ESC worthy if it has a 'catchy' melody and features at least one dress change. They should all be modeled on Bucks Fizz and sound like something that's come straight out of the 80's.

#ThoseWereTheDays :kitty:
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    me and my husband were in shock
    one of the worst every eurovision songs and she couldn't sing to save her life
    my heart says im glad she won over russia but my head wanted the best song to win bulgaria and as the next best song near the top was Australia them winning would have been the next best thing