• Options
    BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Thanks Granny :)
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bad ending spoils an otherwise good story. That's all people are saying.

Quite so. I'd have been very happy if the cubes just counted down to zero and slipped off quietly back into whatever dimension they came from, mission accomplished, human race psycho-evaluated, sampled and recorded. Now *that* would have left it open for a later episode which could have dealt with the invasion itself. Though what impetus that would have left the Ponds with to go swanning off, I don't know.
  • Options
    drwhorudrwhoru Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Quite so. I'd have been very happy if the cubes just counted down to zero and slipped off quietly back into whatever dimension they came from,

i really thought this was where it was going to go!

The doctor being completely frustrated and having to deal with the not knowing.

still never mind...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully next week everyone will only be coming on here to say how brilliant the episode was this saturday, including the ending :)
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see where you're coming from with the bad ending thing... The Hunger Games is two and a half (probably more than a half) really good books but because the ending is so wretched, I'll never read them again :mad:
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BeerCups wrote: »
    I love Doctor Who, i have done since the series was revived in 2005. I love it that much, i am going back to the beginning and watching all of the old ones. I have watched William hartnell, patrick troughton, Jon pertwee and i am currently on Tom Baker.
    I don't claim to know everything about the show, i don't claim to be the most intelligent person in the world.
    There are some episodes that i like, some that i don't like and some episodes where i just go "what".
    For all it's faults it's a great show, and that's why everyone is here, because it's a great show, warts and all.
    I tend to take episodes at face value, as the show doesn't conform to the normal rules of continuity.

as Granny said if it's annoying to you or doesn't make sense that's OK.

It's ok to have different opinions as this is what the forum is for.
    I've been annoyed loads, but it doesn't make me want to switch off, i just won't watch those episodes as much as my favourite episodes.

It's been great reading everyones opinions. I'm new to the forum, but i have been reading it for a while now, some peoples opinions i may not agree with and some opinions are the same as mine and i think it's great to see other peoples take on DW and i think that everyone on this Forum would agree that for all it's faults it is still a Brilliant show for what it is, mad man in a box travelling to places that we could only dream of (or have nightmares about) :)

Welcome from me as well. Great post, and particularly the BIB is something we quite often forget.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    I'm not sure exactly what point you're getting at. Poor writing often has one dimensional villains with no credible motives. To borrow a phrase "It's just some monster who wants to rule the universe for no particular reason." DNA.

In real life "bad" people are selfish or just don't care enough about the effect of their actions on anything or anyone else. Or they're desperate.

Nor am I, really ;)

I suppose it's just that I think that a lot of the bad things in the world aren't attributable to any particular culpable person, or persons.

CotBS is a good example of this, as is The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances. In both stories, bad things happen but no-one is really culpable*.

I think it's dangerous to assume that were there's harm, someone is to blame.

Not least because it distracts from what people can, and should, be blamed for.

But this is way off topic.

*I may be mis-remembering TEC/TDD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trade_star wrote: »
    Nor am I, really ;)

I suppose it's just that I think that a lot of the bad things in the world aren't attributable to any particular culpable person, or persons.

CotBS is a good example of this, as is The Empty Child / The Doctor Dances. In both stories, bad things happen but no-one is really culpable*.

I think it's dangerous to assume that were there's harm, someone is to blame.

Not least because it distracts from what people can, and should, be blamed for.

But this is way off topic.

*I may be mis-remembering TEC/TDD

Technically its all Captain Jack's fault but it doesn't undermine your point in the slightest as he isn't trying to do these bad things, he's not a villain, he's just made a mistake and there are consequences for it that the Doctor has to fix. Another good example of this is other crashed ship analogies, like the Lodger and TGitF, where the robots are just doing what they're designed to do and fix things and as a result, mayhem occurs.
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this thread be unpinned, and TATM be put in it's place instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't this thread be unpinned, and TATM be put in it's place instead?

Oooh it needs to be created :p Do you fancy doing the honours? :D
  • Options
    king yrcanosking yrcanos Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hand it over to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hand it over to you

Nah I made the Dinosaurs one, its your turn :p
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    My location and services are a reflection of my total adoration of the Moffat version of Sherlock.

I've just never got round to reading the original Conan Doyle stuff. That said, he was a fascinating character, I believe. I think your idea sounds brilliant. :D

Cheers.

If you can, have a go at some Doyle. The Holmes stuff is mostly short stories so those are easy to dip into - but if you enjoy classic sci-fi and fantasy, go for The Lost World - one of the books that got me into sci-fi as a kid and I've re-read dozens of times. (It's far from being a "kid's book" - such a really good "ripping yarn")

Lost World is brilliant - one of those cases where the book is way better than any of the films they've made that are"based on" it. It's very much like DW - there's a nutty professor and his companions getting into danger and using a mixture of brains and brawn to escape - with a bit of external help and a lot of luck. It's also funny and thrilling at various times.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just rewatched this and I think I'm going to increase my score from 7/10 to 8/10. I enjoyed it much more the second time, probably because I was expecting a really fast-paced sci-fi story and instead got quite a character-based story. Now that I have the gift of hindsight, I can appreciate the story a lot more. The stuff about Amy and Rory's lives was great, there were a number of funny moments, I liked the Cubes, The Shakri was a brilliant and chilling enemy and there wasn't an "Amor Omnia Vincit" ending.

However, there were still a few flaws. The ending was indeed rushed. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but it would have been nicer if it had been longer and if the Doctor had defibrillated the population in a more spectacular manner rather than with just a wave of the sonic.
    Also, the gas mask people were utterly pointless. Why were they there? Why did they kidnap people? What were the kidnapped people for? Why were the kidnapped people forgotten about and blown up with the ship?
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oops wrong ep
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1734955&page=4
    :)

Patience is for wimps, said the Doctor.

Tsk, Rory the last centurion, the legend, is hardly a wimp (IMO) :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some left, some got left behind. Some died.
    - said the Doctor.

And some you saw again, Doctor! - Remember them? For instance, Sarah Jane Smith and Martha. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm running to you and Rory before you fade from me, said the Doctor.

Aah.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian told them they should go with him. Just bring them back safe, Doctor - he said.

And that was such a nice ending, that I think there should be at least half a dozen, or more, episodes with the Doctor, Rory with his wife Amy, and Kate Lethbridge-Stewart sometimes, too.

Voted excellent :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched much of New Who because of my intense dislike of Rory. But obviously I tuned in last night to make sure the idiot was indeed leaving. What an excellent episode. Matt Smith, Alex Kington and the writing was superb. The demise of the Ponds was a bonus. I loved the bit where River kissed Amy's hand. I don't know, there was something deep about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Haven't watched much of New Who because of my intense dislike of Rory. But obviously I tuned in last night to make sure the idiot was indeed leaving. What an excellent episode. Matt Smith, Alex Kington and the writing was superb. The demise of the Ponds was a bonus. I loved the bit where River kissed Amy's hand. I don't know, there was something deep about it.
    WTF? This is a thread about The Power of Three. I haven't seen the next episode yet, and you just gave away loads of things about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    WTF? This is a thread about The Power of Three. I haven't seen the next episode yet, and you just gave away loads of things about it. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am hoping that the previous post had been unintentionally posted in the wrong thread (giving the benefit of the doubt:)).

I, too, have not yet seen the episode after The Power of Three; as I had said, we have been on holiday so missed this and the next episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have plucked up the courage to watch the next episode which I am half looking forward to :) and half dreading:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed another egg reference on the corner of the fireplace mantle at iplayer 1:01.
    Two faberge egg style ornaments and what looks to be an egg carton too, (!) in front of which the cube materialises.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    In The Power of Three,I noticed there is a scene where they show the many uses of a cube there are some post-it notes and on one it says, phone Jim and the post-it next to it, has something I can't quite make out but has 50 circled on it.

Just had a look in HD iplayer 11:38 and got my magnifying glass out.

Three post-its on a pyramid of cubes.
    Top - "meeting 9:30"

Bottom Left - "Sydney Newman (50)"

Bottom right -"Phone Jim !"

Well spotted Sandy !

In return you might want to have a freezeframe look thro the hover cube accessing the TV scene. iplayer 18:35 - 18:45.

In between the monochrome cold war shots are some strange colour flashes including a teddy-bear like alien with teeth; a green hued wolf/jackel; human brain and facemasks twice.