Lightfields - Follow up to Marchlands

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I started watching this and Broadchurch at the same time (OK - one started one week before the other) but I have to say - Lightfields is a far better executed piece of TV drama. And on the whole - the acting is better. I'm actually looking forward to next week's Lightfields' ending to find out what its all about (and see if I've pictured it right) but with Broadchurch I couldn't give a stuff about who killed the kid.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that was definitely a better episode tonight - the pacing was sharper, characters were given a bit more depth and there was a genuine build up of tension as the ep progressed.

At least now we know why Lucy was sleeping in the barn - Daddy Albert caught her being a slapper and banished her from the house.

So this does give rise to the notion that her death could have been an accident - someone setting the barn alight not knowing she was there.
    However - if this IS the case - and it was Pip & Vivien - then it means Lucy is a pretty vindictive ghost - her only motive being revenge rather than just getting the "truth" out there.
    It's looking more & more like Vivien really was a physcologically disturbed child :D
    Going by the dedication in Clare's book, I got the impression that Vivien was deceased when Clare wrote it.
    Did ghosty Lucy exact her revenge - or did disturbed Vivien just lose the plot and do herself in?
    As for grandpa Pip - is Lucy gunning for young Luke as a way of exacting her revenge on Pip?

On the other hand - were the real culprits Mummy Lucy and local yokel Tom - secretly having an affair which Lucy found out about, and therefore she had to be bumped off?
    There has to be a purpose to these two characters surely :D

I actually laughed out loud when it transpired that it was Cindy banging on the window - the obvious conlusion being that ghosty Lucy would appear once the lights were switched off again :rolleyes:

Anyway - onwards & upwards - next week all will be revealed - it's been a long haul getting there.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt it was pretty scary and creepy at times tonight.Only took 4 episodes though..........
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling she may have killed herself because of the shame? I am probably completely wrong though :D
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I have a feeling she may have killed herself because of the shame? I am probably completely wrong though :D

It's a reasonable theory though - that would make her ghostly purpose one of redemption rather than retribution - i.e she's trying to tell Pip & Vivien that it wasn't their fault.
  • Nocturnal MumNocturnal Mum Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If some local brats had banged on my window like that I'd have been after them with a pitchfork. Or a toasting fork.
  • sunsetbeachsunsetbeach Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Clare dedicate a book to Lucy if she had anything to do with her mothers premature death...Clare and Vivienne are quite petrified at the moment at the thougt of being haunted by her..perhaps she helps them as someone else has mentioned. I don't know why but 70s boyfriend/snogging partner (Nick) of Clare may appear in the present? Where is Pip in the 70s?
    Forum Member
    Where is Pip in the 70s?
    I did wonder that - but its really quite sensible that he doesn't appear in the 70's. He could have been living in Newcastle Upon Tyne or Wigan for all we know. All that matters is what happens at Lightfields and Pip doesn't show up at Lightfields until the present day.

I think this show (OK apart from just one or two little niggles) has been executed very well and I'm actually looking forward to its finale next week (unlike another drama which is going to take eight weeks for a quite possibly boring reveal!)
  • Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    It seems to me like maybe it was Tom who started the fire because he was jealous - but it was Vivien who gave him the idea to do it.

So she still feels guilty in the 70s and can't remember what happened but she thinks she did it. It seems like Tom could be a suspect but nobody's really suspected him yet - and in the 70s he's just a nice guy trying to get on with things.

Maybe in 1975 Vivien will come to realise that she was not to blame - that Lucy's ghost was trying to get her to remember rather than trying to hurt her and so that is why Clare's book suggests that she thought kindly of Lucy.

But then Lucy's ghost is still around in 2012 so I suppose it doesn't all get wrapped up in 1975. Maybe Vivien realises she wasn't to blame but Tom (if it was him) does not admit it or get found out.

So maybe in the present her ghost isn't trying to hurt anyone, maybe just trying to get Luke to do things in an effort to get Pip to talk about her again.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say am enjoying this more than I originally was. I sill think the Vivienne stuff hasn't got enough oomph to it. It seems to be reeling over the same thing every week, where's as the 40's and current times do seem to be moving along

So I take it Lucy doesn't get whatever it is she wants from Vivienne, as she pops up when Pip appears in 2012. I did think it would be Tom, but surely Lucy would haunt him if that was the case? Her spirit isn't tied to the house because we saw her by the car and in the graveyard, so she could get at Tom, unless she has and he's keeping quiet in the 70's. Plus Tom told Vivienne she didn't do it but how would he know? Unless he knew who did set the fire.

I don't think Vivienne did it, but may be aware who did. Which makes me wonder if it was actually Eve, her sister.

My last suspicion in on Pip, obviously because she keeps popping up with Luke. But it does seem with Vivienne, she wants to scare her but that doesn't seem the same with Luke and Pip.

So after all that, I'm going back to Eve starting the fire and Vivienne knowing this but blocking it out. Although she doesn't seem that troubled as a kid, like she's witnessed something bad, especially as she keeps singing all things bright and beautiful!!!
    Forum Member
    Golem Xof wrote: »
    So maybe in the present her ghost isn't trying to hurt anyone, maybe just trying to get Luke to do things in an effort to get Pip to talk about her again.
    You could well be right. Maybe Lucy just wants to be remembered as opposed to being totally wiped out from memory by Pip.
  • GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bib - When the 2012 family did an internet search on Vivien's books, they discovered that there were no books attributed to her as a writer. They did however, find one written by her daughter Clare - the storyline for it being based on her summer spent at Lightfields.

Ah. I assumed that since Vivien was so fond of the name she'd given her daughter, she used it as a pen-name too.

Albert almost made me cry tonight when he was explaining to Eve why he was on the point of killing himself. I felt so sorry for him, daft moustache and all.

I did want to laugh though when Clare was in the phone box ringing her boyfriend. The minute she picked up the receiver and asked 'Is Nick there?', I could hear Department S in my head, singing 'Is Vic There?'. Showing my age a bit :)

The story is beginning to come together a bit now. Lucy is sleeping in the barn after being cast out of the house by her father for behaving scandalously with the soldier. This makes sense. Apparently there's also a game of late night hide-and-seek involved. This doesn't make sense :)
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would Clare dedicate a book to Lucy if she had anything to do with her mothers premature death...Clare and Vivienne are quite petrified at the moment at the thougt of being haunted by her..perhaps she helps them as someone else has mentioned. I don't know why but 70s boyfriend/snogging partner (Nick) of Clare may appear in the present? Where is Pip in the 70s?

But....Big spoiler, do not read if not wanting to know!
    According to the TV mag, Vivien is still alive and visits present day Pip, apparently. It seems then we find out what happened.

The mum had said they shoulld move away, so if they did, it's quite realistic Pip never did go back there. Especially if he is trying to avoid all Lucy memories.
  • tiltonlandtiltonland Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Tom has to be behind this,,otherwise there would be no need for his presence in the 70's timeline.
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Anyone notice when Vivienne retrieved the bit of scrunched up typing out the bin, she placed it on the table and the camera focused on it for a brief but very deliberate second and there was a glass and bright sunlight streaming in the window? Hmm?
  • XOXoAbbieoXOXXOXoAbbieoXOX Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually can't work out what could have happened to be honest but then in a way that suit's me fine because whatever the outcome, its a surprise rather than a total let down because of predicting it already. It may just be my lack of intelligence though lol!
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The young boys dad has lost his marbles, & his business, is permanently drunk, is facing a DD charge, yet is driving a small van around at 100 MPH. Wonder whats going to happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    The young boys dad has lost his marbles, & his business, is permanently drunk, is facing a DD charge, yet is driving a small van around at 100 MPH. Wonder whats going to happen.

I don't know. Perhaps Lucy is not out for the boy for revenge, but to warn him of something or keep him safe in some way. It's all very tangled.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Do we know how Luke's mother died and where, she would have been a Felwood as well. Wonder if there is a connection.
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    What happened to Lucy's parents? Is it not feasible that they could still be alive in 1975. That's only thirty years on from the original events so I reckon they could both be about in their seventies maybe?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    the present day characters did mention they are expecting a guest soon..bed and breakfast..I think it will be Vivien.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    the present day characters did mention they are expecting a guest soon..bed and breakfast..I think it will be Vivien.

I agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what made the present-day couple buy Pip's old family home for their bed and breakfast business, and what they thought when they realised what it was. He's so cagey about his past that I can't imagine them knowing before they bought it that he once used to live there.

I hope Albert doesn't succumb to any urges to bump Dwight off in a fit of temper. He's been through enough already without being locked up as well, and such a rampant moustache definitely needs to be allowed to roam wild and freely :)
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadnt realised that Lucy had spent some nights sleeping in the barn........I thought the fire was the same night that Albert found her, after Dwight departed.
    Would make sense tho if this was the case, bcos then the fire could even be an accident and Albert would feel guilt for having made her sleep out there.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    What happened to Lucy's parents? Is it not feasible that they could still be alive in 1975. That's only thirty years on from the original events so I reckon they could both be about in their seventies maybe?

Lucy was born in 1927 so she would now be 86, so Albert and Martha would have been born in the turn of the century.