Options

Doctor Who: The Time of the Doctor. BBC1. 25/12/13 19:30. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Lol Martha jones. Worst companion ever
    IMHO inlcuding Amy Pond from the start is the only thing they could have done to make it worse. Or possibly Martha Jones...
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    You know I never thought about that, it was very similar. I enjoyed this ep, but The Pandorica opens is one of my favourite Dr Who episodes, so this ep doesn't come off so well in comparison. Looking at it as an episode in on it's own, i'd vote good on the poll.

The main problem I had with this episode is The Weeping Angels and The Silence. These were the two villians who have been the biggest threat in Matt Smith's era. Yet they were overshadowed and didn't really do anything. Why?
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I didn't much like the episode. That doesn't make me a troll does it?:confused: I just didn't understand the need for 10 minutes of the nudity and cheap gags before the story even got going. It was jarring and wasn't funny. It got better but I just found it went far too fast for me to process. Even the change frm Matt to Peter I just felt it needed to slow down a little.

Yet I was strangely gripped by it and I will be rewatching. :)

Remember Sylvester McCoy did juggling and magic tricks; Tom Baker was eccentric and has an unhealthy obsession with Jelly Babies; Patrick Troughton played that infernal recorder.

All Doctor's have had comedy moments in it. It is hardly something new.
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Haven't read any reactions here yet, but I'm a bit disappointed by that ep. It barreled along brilliantly, and then just came to a stop and was over. A little unsatisfying for the last 5 or 10 mins or so, but the rest was cracking.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    I'm really at a lost. Enjoyed it but....

so many. So so so many questions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »
    The main problem I had with this episode is The Weeping Angels and The Silence. These were the two villians who have been the biggest threat in Matt Smith's era. Yet they were overshadowed and didn't really do anything. Why?

The Silence weren't his enemies in this one. They were working with him.

The Weeping Angels were cleverly neutered by the Doctor by the use of mirrors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very loyal fans in the Who universe. This was so not an excellent episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    This episode entertained me for an hour, I thought it was good but I won't bother watching it again.
  • Options
    2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    God. I've got absolutely no clue what's going on and the characters are up and down - who knows what they're feeling.

Sorry to pick out your post when there are loads like it but how can anybody not know what was happening if they were paying attention? I see these types of comments all the time when the main series is on and it's always from people who are typing out replies and posting them on here instead of watching their TV screen.

Is it that important to be communicating with other people whilst a programme is airing? I can kind of understand it with reality shite like X Factor and Big Brother and possibly the soaps but something like DW needs your full attention and to sit back and absorb it all in.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hetal wrote: »

The weeping angels are the proof of Moffatts overconvoluted story telling for me.

The angels were swallowed up by the crack in time which wipes all trace of their existence but here they are again .

You've got to have some semblance of rules surely ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like co key in doctor who but in the first 15 minutes it stopped the story getting going and didn't really work for me. All doctor who should have comfort but you gotta pick your moments better
  • Options
    KezMKezM Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. I really hope they go back to those small, low key, personal and character driven pieces like The End of Time and Journeys End and Doomsday and The Parting of the Ways. They were so much better and really told a story rather than relying on wild spectacle and CGI and strange plot contrivances.

All of the aforementioned episodes have strong character moments especially the Parting of the Ways which revolved around the relationship between the war torn ninth doctor and Rose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    The weeping angels are the proof of Moffatts overconvoluted story telling for me.

The angels where swallowed up by the crack in time which wipes all trace of their existence but here they are again .

The crack has been re-opened.

Or didn't you notice that?
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Well that was pretty awful. I think that Moffat has truly outdone himself with some truly atrocious writing in that one.

And will somebody plus put Murray Gold out of out miseries? The music was dreadul and far too over-used.
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Matt was unsurprisingly *superb*. Best Jenna performance to date. Guessed right re: Amy/Amelia popping up as hallucinations at the end! Didn't feel let down at all considering this era has been my favourite since *waayyyy* back. (Well, the early 80's!)

Didn't get too emotional until the scene with Clara and her Gran towards the end...then I was in trouble!

Will rewatch tomorrow (without non-we company) and see if the "Thank Gawd Matt 'Rubbish' Smith has gone" and "Moffat must be sacked!" stuff I'm predicting has died down a bit. It's been a long day with the fam and not capable of any forensic analysis at the moment. (or possibly ever, admittedly. :p)

PS Welcome Mr Capaldi! :cool: :)

I too found my eyes leaking water with Clara/gran ... And by the time Amy arrived ... Although I probably welled up more in Day of the Doctor ....
    Looking forward to re watching in peace and quiet tomorrow
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a great episode, right up until Capaldi opened his mouth. Kidneys? I fondly remember Tennant's teeth and Matt's ginger lines. But kidneys? Am I getting too old, or was that just not witty? I thought Capaldi's Doctor would bring a more subtle distinguished persona, and be more like the earlier Doctors.

Also, I didn't particularly care for Amy's weird cameo with her son-in-law. This better mean we haven't seen the last of River.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the woman was a bit jarring as well, you really needed somine we knew for that plotlines to work, otherwise your sat there thinking what the hell is goiing on
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I voted excellent, but I have one gripe and that was the regeneration scene...the change from Smith to Capaldi was way too rapid.

I know they did a long regeneration blast atop the clock tower...it would've been better had Capaldi emerged from the rubble. That aside, it was a great episode.:)
  • Options
    HetalHetal Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The Silence weren't his enemies in this one. They were working with him.

The Weeping Angels were cleverly neutered by the Doctor by the use of mirrors.

The thing what gets me with The Silence is that they watched him die back in 2011. Yet now he's aging and stuff. Wouldn't they be like hang on a second...He tricked us.

The angels where swallowed up by the crack in time which wipes all trace of their existence but here they are again .

Yep. This is the problem with Moffat. He likes to over complicate things and it just leaves plot holes everywhere. But of course he can make that all magically disappear with stuff like 'timey wimey' and 'time can be rewritten'.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely we don't need the crack reopened..why not magic beans ?

Or a magic lamp with genie.

You saying the crack reopened is symptomatic of the way Moff just seems to be able to overwrite the rules he has already set ?
  • Options
    Golem XofGolem Xof Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    It's funny how previously the battle on Trenzalore was made out to be really epic but now you find out that actually the Doctor's deadliest foes all massed their forces there in order to blow up a John Lewis advert.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The angels were swallowed up by the crack in time which wipes all trace of their existence but here they are again .

Surely we don't need the crack reopened..why not magic beans ?

Or a magic lamp with genie.

You saying the crack reopened is symptomatic of the way Moff just seems to be able to overwrite the rules he has already set ?

You do realise that the Angels which were swallowed by the crack were not all the Weeping Angels in existence? Your argument is the same as "how come there were humans in this episode? Some humans were swallowed by a crack back in Series 5"

Nothing to do with that. Read above.
  • Options
    bayardsbayards Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fell asleep in middle....but was ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they tacked on the whole Amy thing unfortunatly, bad mistake, so doing a second big regeneration scene would have been too much. So we ended up with a Werid morphing thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    Thought it was a great episode, right up until Capaldi opened his mouth. Kidneys? I fondly remember Tennant's teeth and Matt's ginger lines. But kidneys? Am I getting too old, or was that just not witty? I thought Capaldi's Doctor would bring a more subtle distinguished persona, and be more like the earlier Doctors.

Also, I didn't particularly care for Amy's weird cameo with her son-in-law. This better mean we haven't seen the last of River.

Hartnell has been the only one you could call having a distinguished persona. All the others had their quirks and eccentricities.