How long is Capaldi staying?

CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
Forum Member
✭✭
After speculation from viewers and the press, a young fan took it upon herself to seek the truth :p
A little girl who just had her picture with Peter Capaldi asked him if he is going to play the doctor for a year and he said:

‘I hope I play The Doctor for years and years.'

My heart just melted a little because his eyes lit up and he was smiling so much..

He's a good 'un, isn't he? Here he is signing a kid's drawings for good measure.

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Already he is the Doctor. With only a few seconds of screen time. I have loved every New Who Doctor but never missed one of them because they keep getting the casting so damn right. Of course we need to wait and see but this seems such a sure thing. Cannot wait for him to be on screen. He's a coming!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Let's hope that Peter can show them that older Doctors are capable of doing the job as well! We've had the "Cutey Whos" - let's get back to how the Classic Doctors worked!!
    Should be interesting! ;-)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope that Peter can show them that older Doctors are capable of doing the job as well! We've had the "Cutey Whos" - let's get back to how the Classic Doctors worked!!
    Should be interesting! ;-)

Well, I think Peter is going to play The Doctor more like how Tom did back in the middle to late 70s.

He has a frown that looks quite simillar to what Patrick Troughton's Doctor had, and already I can see a very alien personality in his Doctor. Tom's Doctor had a very alien personality too, unlike other Doctors, who didn't seem that alien at all.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    After speculation from viewers and the press, a young fan took it upon herself to seek the truth :p

He's a good 'un, isn't he? Here he is signing a kid's drawings for good measure.

The fact he's said he'll play The Doctor for years still won't stop people asking if he'll be leaving after the end of this forthcoming series and indeed every series until he does leave. It didn't surprise me in the least that people were asking when he'd leave the moment he was cast. People really should just give it a break at least until after three years at the earliest.

Guess a lot of that stems from Eccleston buggering off after one year, maybe if he'd done a few more the question wouldn't be raised so often.

tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Well, I think Peter is going to play The Doctor more like how Tom did back in the middle to late 70s.

He has a frown that looks quite simillar to what Patrick Troughton's Doctor had, and already I can see a very alien personality in his Doctor. Tom's Doctor had a very alien personality too, unlike other Doctors, who didn't seem that alien at all.

I personally see him more like Pertwee's Doctor and even more so as there's echoes of Pertwee's original costume in his from Season 7. :)
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he seems to be enjoying himself. Long as he is happy he will stay. Durring S8 he allready faces the two iconic baddies Daleks and Cybermen. There are plenty of otehr classic and new villains he can face. Think he will do 3 full series and a few christmas specials. Look forward to watching him next month.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if it only ended up being one series... Only because Peter is a top actor and will be wanted for other things. Also, never under-estimate how many people watched the show because they 'fancied' the younger Doctor.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if it only ended up being one series... Only because Peter is a top actor and will be wanted for other things. Also, never under-estimate how many people watched the show because they 'fancied' the younger Doctor.

It would surprise me if he only lasted one series because we would know if he would regenerate by now because of leaks and possibly they would have made an official announcement that Capaldi was leaving by now.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never underestimate the older audience either, who grew up on Classic Who and the Older Doctors. I've visited several houses since the New Series began where people above the age of 50 have sat there glued to the telly enjoying the show as much as when they were kids back in the 60's and 70's.

Really hope Capaldi proves himself in this role and smashes this modern day theory that every Doctor has to be like Tennant to be successful in the role.

:)
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three seasons and out.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We already know Moffat is doing Series 9 and I seriously doubt he would be doing so if it involved casting yet another new Doctor.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I also don't think he would go out of his way to tell an outright lie to a child, either - especially if he was preparing to film a regeneration scene :p He has been more forthcoming about things than Moffat would probably prefer.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    I'd actually like to see someone break the three years and out pattern as it's becoming rather formulaic. It would be nice to have the same Doctor for 5 years or more.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1,3 or 5 years, however long he plays the role he will continue to do so for years and years after he leaves. You only have to look at Classic Doctors who continued to adopt the role years after departure from the show. Jon Pertwee is a good example of this.

So, Imo, Capaldi's statement is just diplomacy at its best.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    I'd actually like to see someone break the three years and out pattern as it's becoming rather formulaic. It would be nice to have the same Doctor for 5 years or more.

i thought the pattern was 4 years.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot of the audience for Inspector Morse watched because they fancied Morse. He was played by an ageing, white-haired actor with a slight limp.

And Sean Connery was voted "sexiest man alive" in his 60s.

Never underestimate how attractive the older man can be...
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Capaldi is just fantastic.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact that he's got a full career behind him already is likely to make him stick around much longer. The younger guys were keen to not get typecast, and to take the opportunity to jump when it was right for their careers to take off.

Given he's been a massive fan since childhood I think it would take something pretty substantial to make him quit
  • LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I personally think that Mr Capaldi will be doing an Ecclestone and we will have a new doctor for the Christmas Special.

My theory is that the BBC wanted to use a known actor who could again relaunch the series in the vein of Ecclestone resulting in the fact that
    I believe that we will see the Capaldi Doctor captured and converted by the Cyberman in the series finale, ultimatly resulting in the Doctors regeneration.

Personally I would like to see Capaldi around for a long time as he's is a quality actor, unfortunatly playing the Doctor will just raise his profile even more.