Options

End of tax disc 1st oct

Comments

• Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    One of mine was also due for renewal at the beginning of August... the envelpoe it came in had a big notice on the front about it.... it contained a leaflet about it as well. I find it hard to believe that yours wasn't the same. My otehr one is due for renewal from the end of August.... the renewal notice arrived and it had exactly the same information on it and in it. Perhaps you should take it personally.

I've also seen it in several motoring sections of daily newspapers.

lastly.... why do you need to know about it now? if you had to buy a disc for August then for the next two months you need to display it, you can continue to display until your next renewal and then you'll get all the details again.

Nope, I'm afraid you are being "outraged" for the sake of being outraged at least you're in good company... there's a lot of it in this thread.

Oh for god's sake. Just who, exactly is 'outraged'?? You're over-egging the cake.

And what's an otehr and an 'envelpoe'? :p
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of mine was also due for renewal at the beginning of August... the envelpoe it came in had a big notice on the front about it.... it contained a leaflet about it as well. I find it hard to believe that yours wasn't the same. My otehr one is due for renewal from the end of August.... the renewal notice arrived and it had exactly the same information on it and in it. Perhaps you should take it personally.

I've also seen it in several motoring sections of daily newspapers.

lastly.... why do you need to know about it now? if you had to buy a disc for August then for the next two months you need to display it, you can continue to display until your next renewal and then you'll get all the details again.

Nope, I'm afraid you are being "outraged" for the sake of being outraged at least you're in good company... there's a lot of it in this thread.
    Why are you being arsey about it? Is it because you thought you were being 'ignored' earlier in the thread?

I don't care if you 'find it hard to believe' that my latest renewal didn't have any of this info in it; I'm telling you it didn't. Why would I make that up?
    And at no point have I expressed any outrage about this. Slight bewilderment that this is the first I've heard about it, yes - especially since I just got my latest renewal a few weeks or so ago - but no outrage. Why must everyone on this bloody forum be "outraged"? Can nobody think of another word?

As for asking why I need to know about it, well of course I'd like to know. Even if it's not having a direct effect on me at the moment, if there's any change in legislation in the country I live in then I would like to know about it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

(Still not "outraged" btw)
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need a gateway account... I've been buying my tax disc online a number of years now and there has always been an "unofficial" two week grace period.

No one who ever bought a 2nd hand car from a dealer *ever* got a partial tax disc with it because for years the first thing a dealer does is cash in the remaining discs.

I was mainly referring to private sellers who often sell the car with whatever tax is remaining.

Re Grace Period the official period was 5 days under the 1994 laws and that was changed to 14 days (as long as the old one had not expired when you applied ) in 2012 budget commencing 2013 in order to save DVLA money . But no mention of whether this continues or not under the new scheme in order to allow someone time to buy the car get home and do it online it just says immediately so it is unclear if the new owner can at least drive home before they buy the tax disc.
  • Options
    WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    We have a motorbility car so we don't pay for our road tax. It just appears in the post. Do we still need to display it?

TBH it's about time road tax was scrapped altogether and a better fairer system put in place. Why should someone who's car sits in the garage all week and only comes out for a Sunday afternoon drive have to pay the same amount in tax as someone who does over 500 miles a week driving around as a company rep?

Stick the road tax on fuel so those who do more miles pay more for the upkeep of our roads and those who hardly use the roads get a break.

I have a motability car too and my tax does not expire until May 2015. I don't think you need to display it (although not totally sure) after October 1st.

However, I will probably just leave it where it is until it's expired and then throw it away.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    They will still send out the reminders just as now, the only difference will be that no disc will be issued when you pay, which can be done by all the methods currently available.

But we have a motorbility vehicle so we never see the log book and don't tax it ourselves. Our only evidence that the car is taxed is when they send us the tax disc in the post. Without this how do we know that the car we're driving is taxed? Yet we're supposed to be responsible for keeping it off the road if it's not. How can we know if our vehicle is legal without any proof or paperwork to say so?

It wouldn't be the first time they've forgot to tax it in time only now we wont know about it. If we can be held responsible and prosecuted for driving round in an untaxed car yet we're not responsible for taxing it and never even get to see the log book then shouldn't we at least have some form of proof that the vehicle we're driving is legal?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another boon for the "Chancers" cant be reported by a Plod or traffic warden/TCPSO, or a "Nosey Neighbour" (via the hotline).
    Cue some pedant posting "You can find out online" yes we know that, but an out of date/missing tax disc was obvious, whos going to go online ever time they "Suspect" an untaxed car.?, or posting "they use ANPR now" yes we know that also that only catches cars that are moving past the cameras.
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    you think? gonna be a bit tricky to nick that tax disc now isn't it? something that I'm sure cost the DVLA loads each year... just in admin costs alone I'd say... no more discs lost in the post.. more admin savings there.... spreading the cost of a disc over thee course of a year if you want.... that's a boon for ever car driver.... a lot of us have to find MOT / Insurance / tax all in the same month or over a couple of months.

This is something "they" have mostly right.

The new ‘pay-monthly’ direct-debit method of purchasing road-tax will carry a 5% premium compared to paying the full 12-months tax.

The ‘pay monthly’ direct debit method starts on Oct.1st
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I was mainly referring to private sellers who often sell the car with whatever tax is remaining.

Re Grace Period the official period was 5 days under the 1994 laws and that was changed to 14 days (as long as the old one had not expired when you applied ) in 2012 budget commencing 2013 in order to save DVLA money . But no mention of whether this continues or not under the new scheme in order to allow someone time to buy the car get home and do it online it just says immediately so it is unclear if the new owner can at least drive home before they buy the tax disc.

You cannot drive your car home without taxing it; otherwise you (as the new owner) risk a severe penalty for driving an untaxed car. As soon as the V5 paperwork is exchanged between seller and buyer the car must be taxed by the new owner without delay!
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    This whole thing does seem like yet another mess-up from the government.

In what way? :confused:
    Tax can still be purchased either online or at a PO as before. You just won't get a paper disc from October, nor will you be expected to display one. I don't see how complicated that can be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But we have a motorbility vehicle so we never see the log book and don't tax it ourselves. Our only evidence that the car is taxed is when they send us the tax disc in the post. Without this how do we know that the car we're driving is taxed? Yet we're supposed to be responsible for keeping it off the road if it's not. How can we know if our vehicle is legal without any proof or paperwork to say so?

It wouldn't be the first time they've forgot to tax it in time only now we wont know about it. If we can be held responsible and prosecuted for driving round in an untaxed car yet we're not responsible for taxing it and never even get to see the log book then shouldn't we at least have some form of proof that the vehicle we're driving is legal?

You will be able to check if your motability car is taxed by checking online
    gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

That will be your proof of taxation.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Well according to their website I can remove it but it says nothing about people in our situation who gets their road tax paid for. Again they haven't made it clear and I'm not gonna waste my money in calling one of their hundreds of sub departments to find out and end up with more conflicting information. They haven't even been bothered to set up a free helpline for the elderly and disabled to deal with the confusion. As per usual we have to pay premium rate to ring them because they can't provide us with the correct information.

The status of whether you car requires and is taxed is now just held on a computer database, linked to the vehicle registration. In fact, even now, this is what police are using rather than the tax discs. It is linked to the many static and mobile ANPR cameras installed around our towns and on the motorways, so there is no need to display anything, even if you are on Motability.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Possibly the worst government information video I have ever seen:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/DVLAgov

That was very, er, moving ;-)

I didn't tell me anything about how / when my direct debit will be set up and how much it will be for etc.

I'm still none the wise and I'm glad my doesn't expire until next year, so there should be more information by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    You cannot drive your car home without taxing it; otherwise you (as the new owner) risk a severe penalty for driving an untaxed car. As soon as the V5 paperwork is exchanged between seller and buyer the car must be taxed by the new owner without delay!

I was always under the impression that the same vehicle couldn't have 2 lots of tax running concurrently so the old owner's tax runs on the vehicle until it expires or the owner removes the disc and cashes in any full months that are left on it and the new owner has to get it taxed right away. Without a physical tax disc how is the new owner supposed to know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WinterLily wrote: »
    You will be able to check if your motability car is taxed by checking online
    gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

That will be your proof of taxation.

So all elderly and severely disabled people are expected to have internet access now?

I can see that this will lead to a few people getting done for driving round in vehicles unaware that they haven't been taxed on time.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Motability will send you a letter at least a week before your car tax is due to expire letting you know the tax has been arranged for another year.

The DVLA has an electronic record of all cars including details on whether they are taxed. The police have access to these electronic records via the Police National Computer. Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are widely used by authorities and these cameras automatically check whether a vehicle is legally allowed to be driven on the road.

With this technology, it has become clear that discs are no longer required and their removal is expected to save millions of pounds in administration costs.

Your motability vehicle will continue to be taxed as usual - except there will be no paper disc to display.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So all elderly and severely disabled people are expected to have internet access now?

You would be amazed at how many elderly and severely disabled people have internet access.

However, if you don't have access to the internet you can phone the DVLA on 0300 790 6802 to check the same information. Or you can check directly with Motability.

I have a Motability car too.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I've received my renewal for a disc starting in September but didn't receive any info regarding the new changes (perhaps because it doesn't affect me this time around?) I'm gutted I miss out by a month of being able to pay by direct debit because that definitely appeals to me. I will buy a 6 month one this time and then do the 12 month direct debit option from March.

On a side note, I bought my car in the third week of September from Ford who '12 month' taxed it for me but it only lasts until the 31st Aug so I've missed out on having a full year despite paying for it. Have I been fobbed off and is there anything I can do?
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I've received my renewal for a disc starting in September but didn't receive any info regarding the new changes (perhaps because it doesn't affect me this time around?) I'm gutted I miss out by a month of being able to pay by direct debit because that definitely appeals to me. I will buy a 6 month one this time and then do the 12 month direct debit option from March.

I could be wrong, but I would imagine that the monthly direct debit will be more expensive than buying it every six months, which is still more expensive than buying in annually.

Monthly direct debit appeals to me as well, but I suspect it will be the most expensive option.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I could be wrong, but I would imagine that the monthly direct debit will be more expensive than buying it every six months, which is still more expensive than buying in annually.

Monthly direct debit appeals to me as well, but I suspect it will be the most expensive option.

Someone earlier quoted a premium of 5% for paying this way which for the convenience of doing so works out well (£9 extra for me based on my 12 monthly tax price).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Is there a minimum price for the Direct Debit option? My VED is £30 by the way...
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    We have a motorbility car so we don't pay for our road tax. It just appears in the post. Do we still need to display it?

TBH it's about time road tax was scrapped altogether and a better fairer system put in place. Why should someone who's car sits in the garage all week and only comes out for a Sunday afternoon drive have to pay the same amount in tax as someone who does over 500 miles a week driving around as a company rep?

Stick the road tax on fuel so those who do more miles pay more for the upkeep of our roads and those who hardly use the roads get a break.

No.

Increasing fuel duty penalises those who live in rural areas or don't have access to public transport or use petrol-powered machinery, etc., etc.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a side note, I bought my car in the third week of September from Ford who '12 month' taxed it for me but it only lasts until the 31st Aug so I've missed out on having a full year despite paying for it. Have I been fobbed off and is there anything I can do?

No you haven't been fobbed off. It's always been one of the drawbacks of buying a car part way through a month - your tax runs out at the end of the previous month (if that makes sense?). You should have waited until 1st October to buy your car, then you'd have had a tax disc until 30th September.

I don't know if that will change under the new rules though, given that there's no printed disc to display.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone earlier quoted a premium of 5% for paying this way which for the convenience of doing so works out well (£9 extra for me based on my 12 monthly tax price).

£9 extra over 12 months is an extra 75p per month. I can't see the 5% premium really making any difference to someone who wants to pay monthly.

My 12 monthly is about £230 and even that's only going to add an extra £11.50 (95p per month) for the year.

Unfortunately my tax runs out the end of this month so I'll have to buy a 6 monthly for £125.
    I'd much rather be paying £20 a month than having to fork out £125 or £230 in one go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was always under the impression that the same vehicle couldn't have 2 lots of tax running concurrently so the old owner's tax runs on the vehicle until it expires or the owner removes the disc and cashes in any full months that are left on it and the new owner has to get it taxed right away. Without a physical tax disc how is the new owner supposed to know?

The new laws that come into effect on 1st October are very clear on that point; there cannot be any ‘overlapping’ of the tax status of the vehicle.

In the eyes of the DVLA the car is deemed to be ‘untaxed’ at the moment the vehicle ownership changes hands. At that point the previous owner has 0% liability for the tax status of the car; conversely the new owner has 100% responsibility.

However, if the previous owner is selling an untaxed vehicle they will face a stiff penalty once the V5 documents are received by the DVLA; at that point it will be patently obvious that the seller has sold an untaxed vehicle. However, none of that is of any consequence to the new owner. The new owner must tax the vehicle without delay!

There is no room for complacency ; If there is any discrepancy between the date the new owner taxed the vehicle and the ‘change of ownership’ date, then the new owner will be fined!

The previous owner does not have to ‘apply’ for the tax refund when the vehicle is sold; it will be issued automatically, by default; unless they’ve sold an untaxed vehicle....in which case they will receive a fine.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

Which begs the question how do they do that in a private sale , not everyone carries a tablet or laptop to do it there and then or has mobile broadband available , unless the seller allows them into their house to use their PC , and if you say drive 100 miles to see the car it is rather unfair to expect a person to drive 100 miles back home to tax it then drive 100 miles back to pick up the car again.