Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done to Mrs Prudence for persuading not to wear a donkey jacket.:o
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flimbo wrote: »
    That's not Thatcher - it's her Spitting Image puppet, surely?

LOL Is that what the guy behind her is doing? :D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    At least we won wars under Thatcher...

Because then wars were taken seriously. This government doesn't even have a war cabinet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it sad that some people feel the need to comment on the fact that Brown did not bow his head today, or worse still, criticise him for it.

Aside from being trivial in comparison to the day's events and those they remember, it was obviously an accidental omission. Making such an error at a ceremony that requires the mind to focus on a tricky combination of decorum and timing (with a few million eyes on you) is understandable.

Some members of the Royal Family have been doing it longer than I've been alive, and even they fumble occasionally. The Duke of York didn't get his steps entirely right today, and the Earl of Wessex had to alter the position of the wreath.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Mijath wrote: »
    I find it sad that some people feel the need to comment on the fact that Brown did not bow his head today, or worse still, criticise him for it.

Aside from being trivial in comparison to the day's events and those they remember, it was obviously an accidental omission. Making such an error at a ceremony that requires the mind to focus on a tricky combination of decorum and timing (with a few million eyes on you) is understandable.

Some members of the Royal Family have been doing it longer than I've been alive, and even they fumble occasionally. The Duke of York didn't get his steps entirely right today, and the Earl of Wessex had to alter the position of the wreath.

But the Queen or her sons are hardly responsible for the war.

Brown is.

The least he could do is bow his head, or did he fear that the weight of all the bodies on his neck would stop him ever raising his head again?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the Queen or her sons are hardly responsible for the war.

Brown is.

The least he could do is bow his head, or did he fear that the weight of all the bodies on his neck would stop him ever raising his head again?
    It doesn't matter who he is. Protocol is that people laying wreaths stand back and bow their head. He did not. It was a simple error.

His position is irrelevant.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Even more appalling was David Cameron fidgeting during the 2 minutes silence, Nick Clegg looking far too young to be let out alone and Sinn Fein, the BNP & UKIP not turning up at all :rolleyes:

If you want to start a thread about something significant have a look at number of teenagers who died in service

I'd be more appauled at Sinn Fein turning up on the aniversary that its political wing murdered 11 people waiting to take part in another remembrance service.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a rogues gallery, John 'safe haven' Major, Butcher Blair and Bodger Brown.
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting map of The Sudan on the wall behind her , is that next on the list of countries we haven't invaded yet ?

Maybe the photo was taken in her sons bedroom and it is the next country he is planning a coup in?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the remembrance day commemmoration - and I don't think Gordon Brown bowed after laying his wreath. Will check it on the replay. I hope he did, it would be tremendously disrespectful not to acknowledge the sacrifice.

If you watch this video I think you will find that he did bow his head.

http://www.channel4.com/news/
  • Options
    cpu121cpu121 Posts: 5,330
    Forum Member
    If you watch this video I think you will find that he did bow his head.

http://www.channel4.com/news/
    I suggest you watch the full coverage on BBC iPlayer - link should start automatically at 42:57 as Brown steps up.

You appear to be confusing Brown bending down to lay the wreath/checking his footing as he walks back and actually bowing. You'll see that all other wreath layers step back, bow their head/salute in a distinct movement and then turn. Gordon Brown steps back and simply turns.
  • Options
    pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    Bloody hell. People actually seek to score political points based on how someone reacted during a remembrance ceremony.

That's quite low.

It is quite clear that some people will stoop to any dephs.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauli89 wrote: »
    It is quite clear that some people will stoop to any dephs.

I thought the point of this thread was that Brown didn't stoop" at all :confused:

Actually, I don't think it's that much of an issue. Despite all of the things I dislike Brown for, I'm failing to get worked up about this one.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cpu121 wrote: »
    I suggest you watch the full coverage on BBC iPlayer - link should start automatically at 42:57 as Brown steps up.

You appear to be confusing Brown bending down to lay the wreath/checking his footing as he walks back and actually bowing. You'll see that all other wreath layers step back, bow their head/salute in a distinct movement and then turn. Gordon Brown steps back and simply turns.

Sorry but I don't believe I am confusing anything, Brown did bow his head, maybe not in quite the distinctive manner as the others but nevertheless he did bow his head.

IMO if he had done anything which could in anyway be construed as being disrepectful it would have been picked up by the media.
  • Options
    pauli89pauli89 Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remembrance Sunday is sadly fast becoming a thing for some people to try and perform some kind of witch hunt - surley that is not what it is about.

For example, Celtic FC matches are now looked on through a microscope, ran over with a fine tooth comb.

If some of the people doing this genuinely cared about the day, they would not spend their time turning over every stone unturned, looking for something to try and persecute others with.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO if he had done anything which could in anyway be construed as being disrepectful it would have been picked up by the media.
    Guess Who
    Guess Who

And no there isn't any evidence that he kidnapped Maddie or was responsible for the death of Diana :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Republican but I'm glad we have a monarchy at times like these. Remembrance Day is above party politics and should remain so. Personal comments about the party leaders are for another day.

Incidentally, I was in Newcastle on Friday and saw the Queen and Prince Philip's visit. Philip is an irascible old cove but he works as hard as any nonagenarian I know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pauli89 wrote: »
    Remembrance Sunday is sadly fast becoming a thing for some people to try and perform some kind of witch hunt - surley that is not what it is about.

For example, Celtic FC matches are now looked on through a microscope, ran over with a fine tooth comb.

If some of the people doing this genuinely cared about the day, they would not spend their time turning over every stone unturned, looking for something to try and persecute others with.

Perhaps you should consider the reactions of those who really have a direct involvement with the importance of rememberance.

Take a look at the reaction over at ARRSE - if they think its important and appropriate to comment on Brown's latest gaff then so be it.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=137423/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BarryW1 wrote: »
    Perhaps you should consider the reactions of those who really have a direct involvement with the importance of rememberance.

Take a look at the reaction over at ARRSE - if they think its important and appropriate to comment on Brown's latest gaff then so be it.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=137423/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

A valid viewpoint of course but the fact is Remembrance Day belongs to all of us not just the armed forces.

My Grandfather fought at the first Battle of the Somme where two of his brothers were killed. He was never the same again. My father was in the Royal Navy and saw action in the Second World War. I honour their memory and millions of other ordinary men who volunteered when this nation was in peril.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »

Whoops, gummy!
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And The Sun has 2 stories about Brown's disgraceful behaviour

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2720233/Bloody-shameful-Gordon-Brown.html

GORDON Brown was accused of disrespecting our war dead yesterday with TWO shameful blunders.
    He got a dead soldier's name WRONG in a letter to the hero's mum - and FAILED to bow at the Cenotaph.
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronG wrote: »
    Bloody hell. People actually seek to score political points based on how someone reacted during a remembrance ceremony.

That's quite low.

But utterly and completely unsurprising. Its the right for you! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least we won wars under Thatcher...

Lemme fix that...
    At least we won illegal wars under Thatcher, and those gave her the popularity boost to make sure she got re-elected...

There, all fixed.
  • Options
    nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lemme fix that...

There, all fixed.

Now I have heard the Fawklands called many things, but illegal aint one of them. How was it illegal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I have heard the Fawklands called many things, but illegal aint one of them. How was it illegal?

It was neither legal nor illegal. It was never declared a war and thus became The Falklands Conflict.

I could be wrong!