Vampire Diaries spinoff pilot coming

JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
Forum Member
✭✭✭
According to deadline.com, the episode of Vampire Diaries to air on April 25th on US tv will apparently act as a 'potential backdoor' pilot to a spin off series called The Originals, starring Joseph Morgan and Phoebe Tonkin.

Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/cw-eyes-vampire-diaries-spinoff-with-backdoor-pilot-starring-joseph-morgan-phoebe-tonkin-and-penned-by-julie-plec/ (spoilers in article).

Hooray for The Klaus show! :D

Comments

• TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    I like the idea but by doing this they will weaken the Vampire Diaries as Klaus has become a big part of that show.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Tiffani wrote: »
    I like the idea but by doing this they will weaken the Vampire Diaries as Klaus has become a big part of that show.

Have to agree Klaus has become a great part of the vampire diaries and i hated him at first but adore him now and want to see more of him with Caroline
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think it's a brilliant idea. I definitely want to see more of Klaus. I don't think it will weaken Vampire Diaries, because they can take the story in other directions.
  • PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiler guess.

Everyone's asking why Hayley would be included in 'The Originals'. Maybe Klaus has a secret stash of Doppleganger blood and she's his only loyal Hybrid? (Or the cure is used on Elena or Katherine!)
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the one hand I'd be glad of a spin off simply to clear Klaus out of the Vamp diaries. Lately the better episodes haven't involved the Originals at all. On the other, it sounds a it too Angel-ish for me and you know they'll have to make him less murderous and more empathetic so yeah, that's my two pence worth.

Still, if Klaus leaves it means I won't have to watch it.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like this idea. Klaus's role on the show for me isn't important as it was in Season three and i feel his story is coming to a close.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some are saying the spin off will crash and burn. Im more worried about VD crashing and burning. Apparently most are only watching because of the originals. I`ll definitely watch both.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,914
    Forum Member
    I think VD will last six seasons and there is the new baddie in the Professor.I think Klaus and the originals can be done perhaps has a prequel to VD where the originals past could be explored.Maybe we could see Klaus mother etc and how the originals came to be and how the doppleganga blood came about!There is a lot of direction for this series.Although I like Delena and Stelena hype it is getting a tad ridiclous.More back stories needed in spinoff could get six seasons out of it with back stories of each original there is enough of them!
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to ask, though, why Hayley? She's quite uninteresting as a character.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I'm obviously going to watch but I think I would prefer Klaus to stay in TVD, I mean what about Klaroline?!
  • fabulistfabulist Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, what does Tonkin have on these guys? The only thing worst than her accent is her acting.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they like her. After the secret circle was cancelled, they took her onto TVD, now they are talking spin off.
  • LucyyculLucyycul Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant klaus best thing about vd. Love him in his own show :)
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Some are saying the spin off will crash and burn. Im more worried about VD crashing and burning. Apparently most are only watching because of the originals. I`ll definitely watch both.

VD is a pretty daft show and doesn't deserve the popularity it does have, I've stuck with it thus far purely for moments of Damon's eyebrows and glimpses of Elijah. The story is awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VD is a pretty daft show and doesn't deserve the popularity it does have, I've stuck with it thus far purely for moments of Damon's eyebrows and glimpses of Elijah. The story is awful.

Agree with this I am not sure why i have stuck with it as the storys are not told in a great way. Like with Elena when she was hallusinating and Klaus say he had it for like 100 years or whatever it was and she managed to get over in in 1 ep!! what terrible story telling that was. Everything is sorted out too quickly and they go in circles. I stick with it for moments of klaus and Damon!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucyycul wrote: »
    Agree with this I am not sure why i have stuck with it as the storys are not told in a great way. Like with Elena when she was hallusinating and Klaus say he had it for like 100 years or whatever it was and she managed to get over in in 1 ep!! what terrible story telling that was. Everything is sorted out too quickly and they go in circles. I stick with it for moments of klaus and Damon!

it was explained that they needed a new hunter to come about or something to stop the hallucinations. something like that anyway,so when jeremy killed a hybrid elena was saved

i love TVD fast paced tempo although i agree its not as good as buffy/angel type storytelling which can be slow or fast
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    it was explained that they needed a new hunter to come about or something to stop the hallucinations. something like that anyway,so when jeremy killed a hybrid elena was saved

i love TVD fast paced tempo although i agree its not as good as buffy/angel type storytelling which can be slow or fast

i know they explained it with Jeremy becoming a hunter but still was over too quick. Should have been a few eps at least. They solved it all to quickly.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol nothing takes a few eps in tvd

i do like it but at the same time it does stop a storyline becoming epic at times
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'm not sure.

I like the actor but I really don't like Klaus as a character and I'm not sure if he's sympathetic enough to hold a spin-off.

That being said, I'll give it a try though and I like Hayley as a character.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press release:
    Casting underway for series regulars on The Vampire Diaries spin-off 'The Originals'

Warner Bros. Television in association with Bonanza Productions and Alloy Entertainment are in pre-production on a new series titled "The Originals", which will be a spinoff from the hit CW series "The Vampire Diaries". Casting directors in Los Angeles and New York are holding auditions for the series regulars, which include an over 18 actress who can play a 16 year old witch, an early 20's female student who is intrigued by the deviance of the French Quarter, a late 20s early 30s female witch, and Klaus' diabolical former protégé Marcel who is late 20s early 30s. Shooting begins March 6, 2013 and will take place in New Orleans and Atlanta.

"The Originals" centers on Klaus Mikaelson and the Original family of vampires, as he returns to the supernatural crucible that is the French Quarter of New Orleans, a town he helped build centuries ago, and is reunited with his diabolical former apprentice Marcel. The show will feature two new characters who are witches, as well as a human female named Cami who is a psychology student fascinated by the study of Human Behavior. Cami is allured to the aberration of the French Quarter, resolute on answering the unanswerable question - what makes someone evil?

Starring in the pilot episode of "The Originals" is two-time Teen Choice Award nominee Joseph Morgan, who will continue his "The Vampire Diaries" role of Klaus Mikaelson. Morgan is an English actor who studied at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, UK. Among his film credits are "Alexander" starring Angelina Jolie and Colin Farrell, and "Immortals" starring opposite Henry Cavill. Phoebe Tonkin will also star in "The Originals" playing the werewolf Hayley, a character that was introduced in season four of "The Vampire Diaries".

"The Vampire Diaries" showrunner Julie Plec will executive produce "The Originals" and serve as head writer. Plec developed "Diaries" along with Kevin Williamson, who will not be involved with "Originals". Leslie Morgenstein will executive produce for Alloy Entertainment. Morgenstein is also currently executive producer of the hit ABC Family series "Pretty Little Liars". Senior vice president of television for Alloy Entertainment, Gina Girolamo, will also executive produce. Michael Narducci will serve as the show's producer.

"The Originals" new characters will be introduced on "The Vampire Diaries" season 4, episode 20.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Press release:

So basically the Klaus show? I like Klaus but I don't think I could handle a whole show with just him...especially if it's going to be called 'The Originals'. Rebekah and Elijah are a must.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    So basically the Klaus show? I like Klaus but I don't think I could handle a whole show with just him...especially if it's going to be called 'The Originals'. Rebekah and Elijah are a must.

Well, I'd assume the psychology student character is the protagonist.

You have to be able to root for the main character and Klaus really isn't that sympathetic. ;)
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

I remember reading a while back that Daniel Gillies (Elijah) said he'd definitely be up for an Original spin-off, but that was before he became involved in Saving Hope. I wonder if it became a reality, whether he would entertain the idea of being a regular star on the Originals spin-off? I would certainly watch it if he was on it. Elijah is one of my favourite TV characters, and I think he's a better character than Joel Goran, who Daniel Gillies plays on Saving Hope, who is rather dull. I'm not enjoying TVD nearly as much without him. I'm not sure how much more they can do with the 'gripping' love triangle that is Elena/Stefan/Damon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not so sure Klaus would be able to pull of a spin-off by himself but if Elijah and Rebekah are in it...it could potentially be really good.

I've heard that NBC have pulled the plug on Saving Hope and they are only going to air it on CTV...it might be cancelled altogether... so hopefully Daniel will be able to play Elijah....I hope... just love him!! :o:D
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member

Actually, I really couldn't handle a whole show dedicated to Klaus.

I might just pass on this one.