Options

Boyfriend pulling out of property

EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey DSers :(

Bad things happened. I was due to move in my my boyfriend, to a gorgeous one bed place, in April. The house was his idea, from beginning to end. Yesterday he told me by text that he "wasn't really sure" about the house and "wasn't really ready or committed". We haven't spoken since, whether he's warming up to dump me or not I don't know.

I read the text in the ladies' loo at work, freshening up before a client appointment and all I wanted to do was sit on the floor and cry my eyes out.

But then I did something rather un-emmersonne-like and pulled myself together.

I didn't cry.

I did the appointment.

I called/texted some supportive friends.

I went out for comfort food/wine with one of them and talked it over.

Then I rang the letting agents this morning and told them I still wanted the house. On my own. And sod him.

Now the reality is sinking in and I'm trying to keep terror at bay.

I can afford the house and I want the house, that much I am certain of, and I agree my my friend that I don't want him to be able to "have his cake and eat it" - I won't let him live in the house if we stay together, it is mine. I took on the responsibility and he didn't.

But I am suddenly really quite terrified at the big jump I am making, even though I am certain I want to make it, if that makes sense.

Any words of wisdom or practical advice on setting up a first time home will be muchly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Go for it! If you like the house, can afford it and would enjoy living there why let him spoil it for you?
    And definitely don't let him move in.
  • Options
    foxylady1969foxylady1969 Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    Hey DSers :(

Bad things happened. I was due to move in my my boyfriend, to a gorgeous one bed place, in April. The house was his idea, from beginning to end. Yesterday he told me by text that he "wasn't really sure" about the house and "wasn't really ready or committed". We haven't spoken since, whether he's warming up to dump me or not I don't know.

I read the text in the ladies' loo at work, freshening up before a client appointment and all I wanted to do was sit on the floor and cry my eyes out.

But then I did something rather un-emmersonne-like and pulled myself together.

I didn't cry.

I did the appointment.

I called/texted some supportive friends.

I went out for comfort food/wine with one of them and talked it over.

Then I rang the letting agents this morning and told them I still wanted the house. On my own. And sod him.

Now the reality is sinking in and I'm trying to keep terror at bay.

I can afford the house and I want the house, that much I am certain of, and I agree my my friend that I don't want him to be able to "have his cake and eat it" - I won't let him live in the house if we stay together, it is mine. I took on the responsibility and he didn't.

But I am suddenly really quite terrified at the big jump I am making, even though I am certain I want to make it, if that makes sense.

Any words of wisdom or practical advice on setting up a first time home will be muchly appreciated.

What difference does it make if he's planning on dumping you, he won't be wanting to move in with you so he's out of the equation.
    As for setting up a first time home, the main thing to consider is can you afford it and the utility bills etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What difference does it make if he's planning on dumping you, he won't be wanting to move in with you so he's out of the equation.
    As for setting up a first time home, the main thing to consider is can you afford it and the utility bills etc.

Well... probably none, actually, it's my house and he isn't coming, either way :)

My take home pay is around £1,400-£1,500 a month, rent is £600, I'll have a single person's discount on Council tax and it's on a water meter.

I plan to get Broadband at £20 a month, no Sky TV, my commuting costs are low as I cycle to work but I do own a car which costs a very small amount in petrol a month (£40-£50)

Food bills for me are usually okay, I could cut back if I needed to.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make him your ex Em. While there is nothing fundamentally wrong with changing your mind, anyone who uses texts to discuss such an important relationship issue really isn't a keeper.

As for taking on the flat yourself; good for you. You're making a powerful statement (to yourself) that will counter any dent your (ex!) boyfriend's prevarication may do to your self-esteem. You've done the right thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make him your ex Em. While there is nothing fundamentally wrong with changing your mind, anyone who uses texts to discuss such an important relationship issue really isn't a keeper.

As for taking on the flat yourself; good for you. You're making a powerful statement (to yourself) that will counter any dent your (ex!) boyfriend's prevarication may do to your self-esteem. You've done the right thing.

Thanks Smokey, steeling myself to tell my parents (I live with them) what has happened
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh good luck OP hope you really enjoy your new home and definitely don't let him move in or spoil it for you in any way.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't offer much in the way of practical advice, but just wanted to wish you lots of luck :)

You'll be sitting there the first night in your swanky new pad and you'll soon realise you're not so scared after all ..
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Well firstly, well done you for keeping it together. Many wouldn't have!

OK, as long as you can afford it then go for it. It's a new chapter, one I think you won't regret at all! Not impressed at your boyfriend telling you his feelings by txt, but it seems he was too scared to do it to your face. But you deserve better than that really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

OK, as long as you can afford it then go for it. It's a new chapter, one I think you won't regret at all! Not impressed at your boyfriend telling you his feelings by txt, but it seems he was too scared to do it to your face. But you deserve better than that really.

Having a bit of a weep now, 24 hours on, but it'll pass
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Having a bit of a weep now, 24 hours on, but it'll pass. :)
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak to him about it not strangers. Quite simple really.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Having a bit of a weep now, 24 hours on, but it'll pass

Aw bless you. Wouldn't be human if you didn't. x You're moving forward with your life, taking a big step, he was supposed to move forward with you and has got cold feet. You can't really fix those feet of his, he has to sort that bit himself. But you keep moving forward, for you, OK? x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speak to him about it not strangers. Quite simple really.

That would be, but he's gone to ground. Besides, it's my house now, nothing to do with him.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having a bit of a weep now, 24 hours on, but it'll pass. :)

You've earned it. This is a fantastic example of female empowerment. Be proud of yourself and go for it.
  • Options
    Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you haven't even spoke to him face to face only one text.. Seems a bit childish
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Yes you haven't even spoke to him face to face only one text.. Seems a bit childish

Sounds very grown up and together to be moving forward and not waiting around for someone who may never get up the courage to do what she is doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »

He's vamoosed, Joel's dad.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do stay together and the cheeky blighter stays over at your new place make sure he pays his way.

£25 per night sounds fair. :D
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    If he won't even tell you this face to face, And is not replying to you then end this relationship yourself and move on. He is not mature enough for an adult relationship by the sounds of it
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The relationship is already over. He's actually telling you that in the text. Good luck with both the purchase/move and enjoying being single until someone else comes into your life. Hopefully next time you'll end up with a man rather than a boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll throw this one out there because it might change some people's opinions:

His previous girlfriend/fiancee dumped him a few months before the wedding, just before they completed on a house.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll throw this one out there because it might change some people's opinions:

His previous girlfriend/fiancee dumped him a few months before the wedding, just before they completed on a house.
    I don't see how that changes anything. Don't spend your life allowing him to project past relationship issues onto you. You're worth better than that. Everyone is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    I don't see how that changes anything. Don't spend your life allowing him to project past relationship issues onto you. You're worth better than that. Everyone is.

Thanks edEx, I felt I was perhaps being a little unfair to him leaving that part out,
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you normally talk about your relationship over the phone or do you both have a history of texting about things like this?

I agree with others that texting about something this important isn't the most grown up thing in the world but if you're both used to that form of communication for serious issues it's a bit different.

Either way if he's ignoring you then his loss. Maybe one day he'll look back and realise he messed up.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    His previous gf doing that to him actually makes it worse in some ways, He knows exactly how you would feel and still decided to just text and vanish on you.

You really should consider forgetting him