New York nights out

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
Forum Member
Hi,
Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where a good night out would be in New York? Me and my group of friends are going there for five nights from the 19th this month and we are all 21 so no problems with getting in (I hope! lol).

Iv heard some places, just like anywhere, can be very expensive for drinks in New York, and as we are students would look for something like The Garage and such from Glasgow, some where with good music, good atmosphere and reasonable prices!

Thanks for any input,
Graham

Comments

• WillowFaeWillowFae Posts: 5,225
    Forum Member
    Whenever we go to NY we tend to go to the theatre every evening so that's not much help.

But have fun it is a wonderful place :)
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're not going to get a bar or club with cheap prices in Manhattan, unfortunately.
  • BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    weegrim wrote: »
    Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where a good night out would be in New York? Me and my group of friends are going there for five nights from the 19th this month and we are all 21 so no problems with getting in (I hope! lol).

Iv heard some places, just like anywhere, can be very expensive for drinks in New York, and as we are students would look for something like The Garage and such from Glasgow, some where with good music, good atmosphere and reasonable prices!

Thanks for any input,
    Graham

I'm looking around for some info for you. First, check out these sites...
    http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonthecheap/pleasures/afterdark.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2072328_fun-manhattan-very-little-money.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    weegrim wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for any input,
    Graham

Drink prices are so expensive in NY,ESP when you take all the tipping into account. As another poster said,we usually take in a few shows(for cheap tickets try TKTS on Times square or the TKTS on Southstreet seaport which has shorter queues), or take in some comedy clubs. If you're lucky,you may get some celebs turn up(Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey have been known to turn up sometimes).

Hope this helps.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if its bars you are looking for, one of my favorites is union hall in park slope, brooklyn. its walls are made up of shelves of leather bound books, it has big comfy chairs and it even has an indoor bocce ball court downstairs. public assembly and the bell house, also in brooklyn are also pretty good.

for manhattan, try some of the bars on the lower east side around delancy, ludlow and essex. they're about as cheap as you get in manhattan and the people are generally friendly. a lot of bars have 4am closing times, which combined with a 24hr subway service, makes a night out a pretty awesome thing
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    btw, as you're students, you might like some of the bars around nyu. bar none on 3rd ave has beer pong and guitar hero matches and its a favorite with the nyu students. but be sure to take your passport with you as they are mega-strict about ensuring you are legal. i got carded at the age of 30!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    BroadwayBabyNY those links are great thanks!

We will defo need to look into the other suggestions too. We just need to remember it's a different culture almost in new York! To be honest were only there for 5 days so not going to waste it with hangovers!! Haha. But we would like to go out for a drink one or two nights.

Thanks for everyones input!! Should have done this when I had more time to actually look into it!!! But left everything to the last minute again! Lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of bars off the streets in Times Square.
    If you all like sports I can recommend going into the ESPN zone in the bar area downstairs (or upstairs if you want to splash out).
    Shoud you want somewhere good to eat one night, there is a restaurant called Virgils BBQ down a side street just before you get to Toys R Us (if you are walking from Madison Square Garden into Times Square, otherwise it's the side street just after it)
    http://www.virgilsbbq.com/
    There is a nice little cocktail bar at the side of the Hotel Pennsylvania opposite Madison Square Gardens too.
    Have an awesome time!! :D
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Jacks bar is nice. Went there the first time i was in new york and then found it again accidently 2 years later. The food is gorg and its a bar also, think its near 8th ave but not absolute on that.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    We went to the Lansdown Road on 10th Avenue every night as it was close to where we where staying (The Travel Inn on West 42nd Street) and it was alwaqys popular with good music and fairly cheap drinks. Try their chicken wings - delicious!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been twice when I was 21 (a few years back lol) and both time I loved Jekyll and Hydes. Its a theme pub with a few floors in it, quite lively. Again very strict with ID so be sure to have you passport with you (I think you should try to carry when in a foreign country anyway!).

Ask the locals as well, I am sure they will have suggestions for a good night out! If you go shopping in Soho as some of the shop assistants, they will probably offer some good advice on where to go!!

Have a great time NY is fabulous!! Try and go Ice Skating in Central Park or the Rockafella centre!! Good fun!!

ETA: Btw IIRC The bar is in Greenwich Village.... yes it is here is the website!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also have a look at this website. They seem to have information about what happening in NY