Options

any tools for making computer startup quicker?

just wondering if there are any tools to speed up my computer, it's just that when it gets to my desktop it must take about 5 mins before I can start using it, its like there are background programmes starting up, it's just a bit rubbish.

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MSConfig :eek: disable unwanted startup applications or upgrade to an i7-2700k with 16GiB of RAM and a 256GiB SSD :) that works for me, my PC is up and running in less than a minute :D
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can hide all MS services in msconfig and see what's left, also check the startup programmes. I hate it when every bloody application nowadays has a update checker programme sitting there taking startup time and memory, use the windows scheduler, dummies :mad: :D There might be useful things there, so don't turn just everything off.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're unsure of what to disable this may help
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

It may be worth trying the trial version of this which is fully functional for 15 days
    http://www.tune-up.com/
    Amonst other things it list all starttup programs with recommendations of which are unnecessary and can be safely disabled - then do it for you
    I have seen it help a number of people. The full version can be obtained online for around £15
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    use hibernate
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    The best way I've found to speed up startup is purchasing myself a SSD. I got a 120gig SSD and put Windows 7 ultimate on it. Even with a lot of start up programs the PC starts up from cold within 5 seconds.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    MSConfig :eek: disable unwanted startup applications or upgrade to an i7-2700k with 16GiB of RAM and a 256GiB SSD :) that works for me, my PC is up and running in less than a minute :D
    I have nowhere near as good a spec system as that but my laptop is up and running, logged in and ready for me to use on average 25 seconds after I press the power button.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I have nowhere near as good a spec system as that but my laptop is up and running, logged in and ready for me to use on average 25 seconds after I press the power button.

I've not timed my startup but know it is much less than a minute from a cold start.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    use hibernate

Sleep and Hibertate are designed to make your PC start faster. I'm amazed how many people don't know how to use it and do a full Shutdown each time.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, by far the best one is Anvir, the free version. It does other things as well, but the start up stuff is the most useful.

It is very well behaved indeed, and needs not be running all the time, just run once a week to stop all the jumk that has sneaked in. Please note tha tthe name looks like something to do with viruses, which is odd, it is not a security device, it is a very easy to use startup manager.

On your first run, you will probably quarantine about forty processes, especially those run by registry entries. They are trivially easy to put back if you change your mind and decide you quite like all that searching for updates every time you boot up.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Autoruns from Microsoft SysInternals is a useful tool to see everything that is run at boot time. It shows a lot more information than MSConfig and lets you disable everything that you might not need like codecs or unused dlls.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902