Options

Rate the snooker pundits/commentators

Comments

• Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Will any more of the current players have a go on the mike one day?

Stephen Hendry
    John Higgins
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Ken Doherty
    Stephen Lee
    Peter Ebdon
    Nigel Bond
    Marcus Campbell
    Gary Wilkinson
    Joe Swail

Out of ex players I wonder if Alex Higgins would have been a good commonator?
  • Options
    Faxy FowlerFaxy Fowler Posts: 17,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of ex players I wonder if Alex Higgins would have been a good commonator?

No.

And also some of your other suggestions eg Marcus Campbell are ludicrous.

I might as well pluck a few other random names from thin air, like Andy Hicks, Stefan Mazrocis, Billy Snaddon and Jimmy Michie?
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be my memory playing tricks, or somebody else of a certain age may back me up, I don't know........but I reckon Alex guested in the commentary booth in his time........might have been in the Mercantile or the Dulux back in the mid 80's..........
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might be my memory playing tricks, or somebody else of a certain age may back me up, I don't know........but I reckon Alex guested in the commentary booth in his time........might have been in the Mercantile or the Dulux back in the mid 80's..........

I have a foggy recollection too Terrence. Either that or we are both going a bit doolally!!:eek::)
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex did. I remember him been interviewed about it afterwards and him saying how tough it was. His quote was " You never know when the other guy is going to speak"
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers DL......went out on a bit of a limb there.......vindication for me and JC......reasssuring to know we've still got a few marbles left..........:D
  • Options
    Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
    Forum Member
    Jimmy White 4/10 That is based on what I've seen so far. Mumbles too much and looks really uncomfortable.

It may be a wonder why Jimmy White isn't at the Crucible this year. Sad isn't it?
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Virgo & Thorne have a bit of a cheek critisizing players for not doing well (considering their record at the Crucible) Dennis Taylor at least has the pedigree as a former winner. Ditto S Davis and John Parrott.

Clive Everton can say whatever he likes because he's a Snooker God.:)
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the former commentators mentioned on this thread:

Jim Meadowcroft is still coaching in Lancashire (was dropped as a commentator about 5 years ago, after many years initially with ITV and later BBC).

Ray Edmonds still runs his snooker club in Grimsby (edged out of the BBC commentary team about 3 or so years ago, to make way for Griffiths and Foulds).

Mark Wildman now lives in Spain.

Rex Williams has plenty of enemies in the snooker establishment- he and Wildman had a massive falling out after many decades of friendship. Clive Everton can't stand Williams either!

David Vine appeared on some ESPN Classic documentaries recently.

Former ITV snooker presenter Tony Francis walks around the countryside in his wellies making regional programmes for ITV Central and ITV London.

You don't hear the name Selby very often. Is Vera any relation to Mark?
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Edmonds' letter to The Daily Telegraph:

Too old for BBC

Sir - I have a lot of sympathy with David Rhys-Jones, whose voice has been synonymous with bowls coverage on the BBC for a very long time. A similar situation occurred with myself last summer. Having been associated with snooker commentary for some 25 years – on ITV and, latterly, the BBC – I received a telephone call from the independent producer saying that my services were no longer required.

Apparently, there was no complaint with my work, only that change was required by the BBC as they were looking for younger people. To this day I still have not received any explanation direct from the BBC.

Having been with them for some 12 years as an integral part of their snooker team, it would have been nice to have had some explanation given to all the people who have watched snooker over the years as to why I was not on air this season.

I do understand that one cannot go on forever, but there is no doubt that viewers of sport do like to hear familiar voices, even though quantity, rather than quality, seems to have become the rule. The old television motto of "let the picture tell the story, and if in doubt say nowt" obviously no longer applies, but I have to say that the most common complaint I hear about TV commentary is "will someone please tell them to shut up".

The only letter shown to me in 25 years' requesting more talking came from a blind man who, quite rightly, said that it would help him to follow the match. I did, however, see many hundreds of letters requesting less.

Being semi-retired, I watch a lot of televised sport now and appreciate the fans' point of view more than ever.

Ray Edmonds
  • Options
    benidormgarybenidormgary Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are the 2 main commentators at this moment (Hawkins and Murphy).I cant put a name to their voices,and neither can I find the info!! :blush: Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who are the 2 main commentators at this moment (Hawkins and Murphy).I cant put a name to their voices,and neither can I find the info!! :blush: Thanks.

I have to be honest, I cannot tell if this is a genuine enquiry or not as it was the BBC's main two commentators and two of the most famous ex players around - John Virgo and Dennis Taylor
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My word what a resurrection this thread is from 2008!

Anyway Clive Everton best commentator , special mention also to the late Jack Karnehm who had a wonderfully thoughtful, concise lilting delivery.

Ted Lowe ofcourse synonymous with Snooker history but because he was involved in the early days of tv Snooker never quite got lost the need to be explaining the most basic information (where the blue goes and how much it was worth etc)

Of the modern lot, probably Dennis Taylor the best. John (wheres the white ball GOIN) Virgo is ok. Willie Thorne, nice guy but lordy he doesn't half rattle!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to be honest, I cannot tell if this is a genuine enquiry or not as it was the BBC's main two commentators and two of the most famous ex players around - John Virgo and Dennis Taylor

Its genuine enquiry-really!. Thanks for the answers.!:) I was then going to ask who is it that keeps shouting quote,"WHERES THE CUE BALL/RED GREEN etc GOING?".Now I know,THANKS to the (last) next post !:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    My word what a resurrection this thread is from 2008!

Anyway Clive Everton best commentator , special mention also to the late Jack Karnehm who had a wonderfully thoughtful, concise lilting delivery.

Ted Lowe ofcourse synonymous with Snooker history but because he was involved in the early days of tv Snooker never quite got lost the need to be explaining the most basic information (where the blue goes and how much it was worth etc)

Of the modern lot, probably Dennis Taylor the best. John (wheres the white ball GOIN) Virgo is ok. Willie Thorne, nice guy but lordy he doesn't half rattle!

Yes,thanks!. Found out all that,but not who these 2 were!:)
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Davis - 9/10....The best of the lot. Quite funny too.
    Parrott - 6/10....Standard.
    Virgo - 5/10....Bit annoying at times. Best when he talks less.
    Taylor - 2/10....Hugely annoying to me. Don't find him even slightly funny.
    Thorne - 4/10....Talks some rubbish at times but enthusiastic.
    Doherty - 4/10....Nothing much to add to things.
    Hendry - 8/10....Very good and interesting.
    Foulds - 7/10....Again, slightly different from the usual.
    Griffiths - 5/10....Goes off on tangents, occasionally interesting, usually bonkers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinions have changed slightly since I first replied to this some 8 years ago. Now it would be

BBC

John Parrott - 10/10 My favourite of the lot. Laid back, witty, knowledgeable and immensely likeable

Steve Davis - 9/10 Another who you cannot help but really like. Knows everything there is to know about the game but does go around the houses at times.

Ken Doherty - 9/10 Again, immensely likeable chap. Always has a smile on his face and seems to be really enjoying himself.

John Virgo - 8/10 I do like JV, he seems to spot the tactical play very well and isn't as critical as some of the others. Can drop the catchphrases now though.

Dennis Taylor - 7/10 - Over the past couple of years he has started to twitter on a little too much. Knows the game but just wish he didn't repeat himself so much

Terry Griffiths - 6/10 - Good knowledge and insight thanks to his coaching skill but has a tendency to mutter or talk too quietly.

Willie Thorne - 5/10 - Turning into a parody of himself. Talks far too much and criticises the players too much by half.

Stephen Hendry - 4/10 - Greatest player ever but a right misery. Cheer up son, you live a charmed life. Knowledge second to none but comes across as surly

British Eurosport

Dave Hendon - 10/10 - Best commentator of the lot bar none. Brilliant

Phillip Studd - 9/10 - Made the switch from 5 Live to BE effortlessly, a really good commentator and talks the game well.

Neal Foulds - 9/10 - Gobsmacked as to why the beeb have dispersed with his services. Very personable and a real man of the people.

Joe Johnson - 7/10 - I like Joe, he does talk a bit and he makes a noise in the box but he does call the shots very well indeed

Mike Hallett - 6/10 - Another who can talk a little too much and another who can be over critical but he does tell a good tale.

Phil Yates - 6/10 - Controversial one this. His knowledge is immense, no question but for me he talks in journalistic clichés too much. He commentates like he is writing his piece for one of his publications.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinions have changed slightly since I first replied to this some 8 years ago. Now it would be

BBC.....................................................

Thanks,Darren,for going to the trouble,it must have taken you a while!:)
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

British Eurosport

Dave Hendon - 10/10 - Best commentator of the lot bar none. Brilliant

AGREED

Phillip Studd - 9/10 - Made the switch from 5 Live to BE effortlessly, a really good commentator and talks the game well.

AGREED- He's had a superb tournament.

Neal Foulds - 9/10 - Gobsmacked as to why the beeb have dispersed with his services. Very personable and a real man of the people.

Joe Johnson - 7/10 - I like Joe, he does talk a bit and he makes a noise in the box but he does call the shots very well indeed

Has annoyed me intensely this year. Never shuts up and needs to realise the power of silence. Add to that all the bloody whooshing and clacking and he's become an irritant even though he knows the game inside out.

Mike Hallett - 6/10 - Another who can talk a little too much and another who can be over critical but he does tell a good tale.

8/10- Always find him interesting to listen to and talks a lot less than JJ.

Phil Yates - 6/10 - Controversial one this. His knowledge is immense, no question but for me he talks in journalistic clichés too much. He commentates like he is writing his piece for one of his publications.

4/10- Agreed he talks in cliches. Don't mind him in small doses but obviously he has been on A LOT in the last two weeks and his voice is doing my head in.

Shame there has been no Alan McManus this time, I really like him.

Don't think I have watched any of the BBC coverage this year.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    The current commentators/pundits Steve Davis & John Parrott the best do like Ken Doherty Dennis Taylor & Stephen Hendry.
    John Virgo should shut the f**k up & let the picture do the talking, speaks far too much irritating "WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING" when you can see it's not going in to the pocket.
    Willie Thorne has to be the most annoying commentator, constantly second guesses shots what the player is choosing then praises himself when he guesses correctly then moans forever why the player didn't take the shot he suggested, the reason being the player can't hear him.
  • Options
    The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Wow this is the Lazarus of threads!
    Virgo & Thorne have a bit of a cheek critisizing players for not doing well (considering their record at the Crucible) Dennis Taylor at least has the pedigree as a former winner. Ditto S Davis and John Parrott.

Clive Everton can say whatever he likes because he's a Snooker God.:)

BIB this has always irritated me with them. There have been times when the criticism has been
    quite withering and I then say to the missus "and how many WCs did you win again?"...
    and she says to shut up! :D

I think I will just rate a selection...

Davis - 10/10....Hard to argue with the knowledge and likeable.

Hendry - 10/10....He is a bit dour but I love how he pulls no punches and understands the benefit of less is more (many talk way too much).

Foulds - 9/10....Probably the slickest of the ones I am mentioning. Great.

Doherty - 8/10....Quite like his style and strikes a good balance.

Parrott - 7/10....Like him but get a little bored at times with him.

Taylor - 6/10....Lovely guy but waffles the same old stuff half the time.

Griffiths - 5/10....Decent enough but predictably a bit boring.

Virgo - 0/10....I always sigh when he is on. His catchphrases drive me up the wall.

Thorne - 0/10....Would give a minus point. Not got time to fully explain. Irritating.

Also...

Everton - 9/10... He should still be on the BBC coverage. Professional.

Hazel - 10/10.... Love her presenting things.

Forgot to mention Alan McManus. Like him. For now 7/10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Wow this is the Lazarus of threads!

I never even looked at the date on the thread earlier this week when I posted!. :) Mind you,since returning from Beni 6 yrs ago,I havent posted much on the forums anyway....
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I have to say i have been watching Eurosport's coverage instead of the BBC's. I know the feed is the same, but there is just no nonsense and filler with them. The commentary is so much better.

Not keen on Hazel Irvine either.

Least you know where the snooker is on Eurosport and not have to hunt for on the red button, which is slow and just unreliable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say i have been watching Eurosport's coverage instead of the BBC's. I know the feed is the same, but there is just no nonsense and filler with them. The commentary is so much better.

Not keen on Hazel Irvine either.

Least you know where the snooker is on Eurosport and not have to hunt for on the red button, which is slow and just unreliable.

Now there is one person i do find hard to fault. I think Hazel Irvine is superb. Much better than Gabby Logan, Sue Barker and Claire Balding in my eyes. A really great presenter and she has a terrific knowledge of the game.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    The BBC need to realise that ex sport stars do not make good commentators. Their snooker coverage is over run with ex players. Where are the sports journalists?!