Options

Disappointed over sons wedding plans

jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
Forum Member
With nearly 6 weeks to go before my son and future daughter in laws wedding, I was informed at the weekend by him that everything had been cancelled and they are now going to go over to Las Vegas to get married. I was a bit gobsmacked when I took the phone call (I kept thinking oh! he's ringing to invite us over for a barbie seeing as how he's just got his new one fixed up) and I at first thought that they'd split up :eek:, and that's something I definitely would NOT like to see happen, my heart just went up in my mouth, when he said "the weddings been cancelled" !!!! but then added "we're getting married in Las Vegas now".

I couldn't understand it because everything had been arranged, I'd asked her a few days before if they had anything else to do and she said no it had all been done. I'd got myself a beautiful dress and hat (fascinator !) and I've lost nearly 2 stone in weight to prepare for this wedding. It would have been the only chance I'll get to see one of my sons marry, unless my youngest son finds himself a nice bloke that is, so to say I was a little bit disappointed is a bit of an understatement. I was quite depressed all day Sunday and up till Monday when he popped round for lunch.

He said it had all got a bit much for them and they spoke about it then decided that was what they wanted to do. I couldn't rant and rave about it, I've never been that sort of mum, but I did tell him I was disappointed but said "well, as long it's what you've both decided and whatever makes you happy". so they'll fly over to Vegas on the 5th, get married on the 6th and be back on the 9th. Me and the other nanny will be looking after baby Max. He said they would still be having a 'do' on the 16th at the same venue but it won't be a sit down wedding breakfast, it'll be a buffet with drinks in the evening.

So now instead of me being there and seeing them say the words, I expect I'll get a text :(

Comments

• Options
    Sem1Sem1 Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely by now with only 6 weeks to go everything would have been paid for! Seems very unusual.
    My mum would have been very sad too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    I'm a total believer that weddings should be solely about what the marrying couple want but I do feel for you. How about, if it won't upset them you throwing a party for them after the event? Would give you the chance to wear your fascinator!! Weight loss is a great thing in any event and I'm trying really hard to find more positives.....

It's hard being a parent sometimes but you sound like a great one, the disappointment will pass in time.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I jhave two sons and my eldest is doing just the same ...going to Las Vegas and to be honest I'm quite glad. It saves a heck of a lot of money and the end result is just the same. We just won't be there. They can save the dosh to put toward a house maybe, On the day you can wear your fascinator and dress and drink champagne instead of coffee. Buy a dinner from M&S and put Wedding Classic music on. Have a cry.:):)
    Let them do what they want. Don't be sad.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically .... their wedding, their decision as far as I'm concerned.

But look on the bright side .. at least you've lost someweight and got a new dress out of it :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, they booked that last year. The invitations had gone out and the last time I popped round to see her and my grandson she said she was making her own place cards (she's got beautiful writing) and she'd made a seating plan. His suit and the grooms and all his friends would have probably had matching suits were ordered. She's got her wedding dress (which she'll take over with her) and also the bridesmaids dresses.

The funny part is, they were in Las Vegas early last year when she was getting over a miscarriage and they didn't know it at the time but she was already pregnant with Max. I said at the time it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd have come back married, I had a funny feeling they might, but no.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    Yes, they booked that last year. The invitations had gone out and the last time I popped round to see her and my grandson she said she was making her own place cards (she's got beautiful writing) and she'd made a seating plan. His suit and the grooms and all his friends would have probably had matching suits were ordered. She's got her wedding dress (which she'll take over with her) and also the bridesmaids dresses.

The funny part is, they were in Las Vegas early last year when she was getting over a miscarriage and they didn't know it at the time but she was already pregnant with Max. I said at the time it wouldn't have surprised me if they'd have come back married, I had a funny feeling they might, but no.

Would that have disappointed you as much or is it just the fact that it was all building up to the big day and you had something to look forward to? I can see how that would come as a shock - I would be disappointed too if I was in your shoes but then like others have said, it is their decision to make. Is it just the 2 of them or is anyone else going out there with them? They can always have a blessing or whatever they're called over here?
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance they could hire a videographer to tape the ceremony for you?

Better than a text I say.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our wedding package at the Candlelight Wedding Chapel came with a video tape and DVD of the ceremony. :)
  • Options
    IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Weddings do have a tendency to turn into the exact opposite of what the couple would choose for themselves. The same led to me getting cold feet for my first marriage so we cancelled it all just to reset the clock. We were still happy together and just wanted the wedding we wanted, not what the rest of the family wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sem1 wrote: »
    Surely by now with only 6 weeks to go everything would have been paid for! Seems very unusual.
    My mum would have been very sad too.

They got £800 deposit back from the venue, which, as he explained was a relief, because if they hadn't, they wouldn't have been able to go. They're staying in The Venetian Hotel, it looks dead posh !
    Toby_Jugg wrote: »
    Basically .... their wedding, their decision as far as I'm concerned.

But look on the bright side .. at least you've lost someweight and got a new dress out of it :)

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more and as disappointed as I was, I could never stay mad at him, he's the sort of bloke who could charm the birds out of the trees and he makes me laugh. I'm just putty in his hands.
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    Would that have disappointed you as much or is it just the fact that it was all building up to the big day and you had something to look forward to? I can see how that would come as a shock - I would be disappointed too if I was in your shoes but then like others have said, it is their decision to make. Is it just the 2 of them or is anyone else going out there with them? They can always have a blessing or whatever they're called over here?

No funny enough, I wouldn't have been disappointed at all in fact I fully expected it, he'd already gone down on one knee on Valentines Day (his birthday) and she'd burst into tears. He said they did talk about it but then decided it would be better to get married in this country with friends and family round them. But he said, as it got nearer, she got more and more stressed and probably him too (although he'd never admit it !) then they both decided it wasn't what they wanted at all, they wanted it to be just about the two of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    Weddings do have a tendency to turn into the exact opposite of what the couple would choose for themselves. The same led to me getting cold feet for my first marriage so we cancelled it all just to reset the clock. We were still happy together and just wanted the wedding we wanted, not what the rest of the family wanted.

^^This. Wedding planning can be overwhelming and incredibly stressful for the couple, especially if relatives get involved and try to take over (not saying that's what happened here), the day becomes less like something to look forward to and more like a nightmare.

It's their day, so if they just want to take off the Vegas for a simple ceremony then good for them. I can how it could be disappointing for family members who expected a 'traditional' wedding, but ultimately it should be about the couple and what they feel comfortable with.

If ever i get married the last thing i would want is a big 'do', half hour down the registry office would be heaven.
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Our wedding package at the Candlelight Wedding Chapel came with a video tape and DVD of the ceremony. :)

Was Elvis at the ceremony? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sound like a great mother to be honest.

Despite being sad, you've still put them first. Which is something my mother, and I would bet a few others out there would of hit the roof at first hearing, lol.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's getting hitched and is in love and starting a family. It's his thing ad you should try and jus be happy for him I guess....Can understand yr dissapointment though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww I feel for you, I know how excited my mum is about my wedding, she'd be gutted if we did that.

But I do understand why someone would just think ''sod it'' and book Vegas, trying to please everyone when planning YOUR wedding is bloody stessful. My mum tries not to interfere but the subtle little comments are starting to grate now....''Ooh your not inviting your uncle Jo'' ect ect.

I know it's dissapointing but you just have to suck it up, smile and be happy for them.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Elvis at the ceremony? :p

Ha! No, we thought about him, and a drive-thru wedding, but opted for a nice French-Canadian named Jean Claude. Given the countless number of ceremonies he performs every day, was surprisingly tender. :D
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were they due to go on honeymoon if they'd stuck to their original plans? If they weren't, maybe this has something to do with their change of plans. Even if they're only away for a few days, its better than none.
  • Options
    PinkvelvetPinkvelvet Posts: 10,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aw my heart breaks for you OP, can totally understand how you feel.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I know it must be hard for you to miss an important event, such a shame but I agree with the others in that a wedding should be about what the bride and groom want.

Saying that, I cant seem to convince my outlaws, they wont let us have the wedding of my dreams because they think its ridiculous and now have convinced my OH too :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    c0lefax wrote: »
    You sound like a great mother to be honest.

Despite being sad, you've still put them first. Which is something my mother, and I would bet a few others out there would of hit the roof at first hearing, lol.

Thanks, that's nice of you to say :)

To be honest, some of my friends have said things like "I'd kill him !!" but that's just not me, I've never interfered and I never would. I remember telling her once I'll be the perfect mother in law because I won't interfere and I'll always ring first to see if it's convenient before I pop round, but if they ever need me for babysitting duties I'm there like a guided missile. :D They are the most wonderful parents and my grandson is just gorgeous (well, I would say that wouldn't I)

No, I'll get over it, I know and as each day passes I feel better, and like somebody said, at least I've lost loads of weight which I shall continue to do.

I shall wear my beautiful dress to the party but alas no hat !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask them to do a web-cam link up and then you can watch with your hat on :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine married in Las Vegas in February this year, a couple of weeks before she sent me an email link, which would allow me to watch the ceremony online, live as it happened.

Unfortunately I was in hospital, and didn't get to see it until the end of February, but it was lovely, maybe the venue that your son is marrying at, will allow the same thing. My friend's parents couldn't go to Las Vegas so they watched it online too.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any chance you could fly to Las Vegas for the wedding :confused:
  • Options
    Sherry TrifleSherry Trifle Posts: 2,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    A friend of mine married in Las Vegas in February this year, a couple of weeks before she sent me an email link, which would allow me to watch the ceremony online, live as it happened.

Unfortunately I was in hospital, and didn't get to see it until the end of February, but it was lovely, maybe the venue that your son is marrying at, will allow the same thing. My friend's parents couldn't go to Las Vegas so they watched it online too.

Someone I know missed her son's Vegas wedding online because she forgot to take into account the time difference. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,658
    Forum Member
    I got married in Vegas with just my brother there as a witness - no other family and friends. It wasn't a slight on our families at all, it was just that neither me nor my hubby wanted to do the big family affair, we wanted to say our vows to each other without making a big song and dance of it. We took our parents out for a posh meal when we got back. Both sets said they didn't mind at all! Mind you, we'd always said that's how we'd do it when we got hitched so it wasn't a big surprise.

The important thing is that they love each other and have a happy marriage, the actual day itself isn't important in the great scheme of things. Although I understand your disappointment at being denied your chance as mother of the bride/groom if your other kid is gay - but it could still happen - gay weddings are legal now!