Options

Cat with an abscess

jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
Forum Member
I'm looking after the cats at my sisters cattery while they are on holiday. One of the cats, (my nieces) I've discovered must have had an abcess on his neck because it has now burst. I've had to cut his collar off, couldn't figure out how to get it undone and I've been bathing the area with warm salt water. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Anybody else got any ideas.

Comments

• Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I'm looking after the cats at my sisters cattery while they are on holiday. One of the cats, (my nieces) I've discovered must have had an abcess on his neck because it has now burst. I've had to cut his collar off, couldn't figure out how to get it undone and I've been bathing the area with warm salt water. I hope I'm doing the right thing. Anybody else got any ideas.

Sounds like you are doin the right thing ie salt water, but being a cattery you should really call a vet out, otherwise if anything gets worse your sis could get into trouble. If in doubt call the vet out. (also If I had an animal in the care of a cattery I'd hope they would like after puss for me)

How did puss get the abcess! was puss placed in a shelter with another puss or what!!:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He must have had it when he came in because I've only been here a few days, he's on his own and as I said it's my nieces cat who's gone on holiday with my sister. All the other cats are absolutely fine. He seems quite perky enough though and he doesn't mind me washing the area.
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    He must have had it when he came in because I've only been here a few days, he's on his own and as I said it's my nieces cat who's gone on holiday with my sister. All the other cats are absolutely fine. He seems quite perky enough though and he doesn't mind me washing the area.

Great but puss will need antibiotics though, I would think! Not sure I'm sure many puss cat people will advise but I'd get puss a antibiotic asap. (thats just me though)
  • Options
    AesaAesa Posts: 3,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's better to be safe than sorry, I'd call a vet :) Sounds like you're doing a good job though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Until you get it to the vet, you should bathe in sterile, warm salty water. Dilute 1-2 teapsoons of salt in one pint of boiled (but tepid) water and bathe the area using cotton wool or a flannel.

You should get it to the vet asap. They will probably advise that it is kept separate from the other cats until it heals.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeating other people, but you really should take this cat to the vets. Your sister's cattery should have insurance to cover this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I took the cat to the vets this morning, when the lady from the RSPCA came round to take one of the other cats for dental treatment I asked to go along with her and she willingly obliged (I don't drive)

So Fluffy has been kept at the vets to have it all cleaned out and he'll probably give her a shot of antibiotics as well, I'm just waiting to hear from the RSPCA lady, because she'll bring them both back together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am totally mystified as to why the RSPCA are involved with cats in a cattery.

Do you really mean a cattery, where people leave their cats when they are on holiday, or a rescue where homeless cats end up to find new homes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Both actually, there are about 18 pens altogether, 9 on one side and 9 on the other side of the garden two of which are family pens, for more than two cats. It's a fabulous cattery with every modern convenience.

The RSPCA rents one side and they have access through the office. My brother in law cleans them out and feeds them and generally looks after them, with back up from the RSPCA.

The other side is for private owners.

Update : Fluffy is back from the vet, she's had the area round her neck shaved and all cleaned out and she's had a long acting antibiotic, the vet says she'll be fine. The bill came to £135. so I hope my niece has got insurance, unless my brother in law claims it back from his.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your sister is running a boarding cattery without insurance sure as eggs are eggs she will get badly stung sooner or later. One thing on display at the cattery I use is their certificate of insurance - I know that if any of my cats fall ill they won't hesitate to take them to a vet, and probably to my vets.

Glad to hear Fluffy is OK though not so fluffy right now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They do have insurance, the certificate is displayed on the wall in the office, it was just that I couldn't remember which vet they use, so I went along with the lady from the RSPCA to the vets that they use. I expect my brother in law will claim it back from his insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Update on Fluffy, I met my sister & niece in town yesterday and my niece gave me a lovely bouquet of flowers because as she said, she was chuffed to bits at how I'd looked after fluffy.

They took her back to the vet when they came back from holiday and the vet told them that although it had been bad and quite a large abcess, he told them that she'd made a speedy recovery and everything that needed to be done, was done.

They have insurance themselves so it will be their insurers that pay the bill.