• SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    "...flaunting her curves..."

Combined with "Bikini Body"
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Or "showing off baby bump" ie daring to leave the house while pregnant. Unless a large coat is worn and then it's "concealing baby bump".....
    Forum Member
    In fact- just log onto Mailonline and peruse the sidebar of shame- you will see every single one of these phrases plus several riveting updates on the day to day life of the Kardashian family....
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Poured her curves
    Slojo wrote: »
    Combined with "Bikini Body"

"Dangerous curves!" WTF? :confused:
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Slammed'. In other words, 'said something vaguely critical'.
    Forum Member
    "Dangerous curves!" WTF? :confused:

Or how about- "unapologetically flaunting curves" (it means the paper thinks you're fat love so put it away). Normally used in conjunction with a Christina Aguilera story....
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    I find the terms "bedded" and "romped" highly annoying, if only for the reason that no-one uses these terms in real life. These terms also seem to be exclusivley used for Premier League footballer and their "conquests"

Well, if you want words and phrases no one uses in real life, how about 'love child' = bastard; 'plunged' = fell. Every bloody holiday is a 'dream holiday', even though you might have spent just one crappy week in Toremolinos, the only place 'senior policeman' 'cry openly' is at funerals. People only seem to 'take off' as in scarper in the papers. And folk only ever seem to get 'outraged' in the papers. Then there are the names dreamed up by subs which become 'dubbed by the public', the public obliging by subsquently using the name. Another good example is Prince William being called 'Wills' by no one except the tabloids - certainly not by his parents, family or friends - purely because 'William' was a bastard of a name to get in a headline on a tabloid page. Incidentally, Princess Anne never told anyone to 'naff off'. She told them to **** off, but the subs decided to invent naff as they felt, in those days, they couldn't use the word **** (as of course you can't here on DS),
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand "tot" for small child. I've never heard anyone in real life call anyone's child a "tot".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    'We can (exclusively) reveal......' as if they are going to come up with something earth-shattering, but it's not.

Also, I love the way they have turned some words into an insult - for example, putting the word 'ageing' before actor/actress etc.
    Forum Member
    katetow wrote: »
    'We can (exclusively) reveal......' as if they are going to come up with something earth-shattering, but it's not.

Also, I love the way they have turned some words into an insult - for example, putting the word 'ageing' before actor/actress etc.

Slightly pointless I agree- we are all ageing!!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any couple who doesn't hawk their wares is said to be 'quietly dating'....:rolleyes:
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Female celebs and their new "beau".

Who uses beau in the real world?
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    I think saying "gay celebrity" about someone for in the example whenever Stephen Gately died they put gay when they were talking about him they don't put heterosexual celebrity so why when reporting on someone if they are gay put that as the major item.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So-and-so "collapsed" ....the rest of us don't 'collapse' for the most part when we're ill. We just get sick or very tired (knackered). According to the meeja, celebs/zelebs always "collapse" when they come down with a cold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    'Piled on the pounds'
    'Lovenest'
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Fail uses this one endlessly and it really p*sses me off.

X,Y, or Z showing A,B or see what they are missing.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Romp
    Stunning/Stunna
    Bikini body
    Phrases like ' Soaks up the sun', 'Puts on a brave face' , 'Leaves little to the imagination' etc
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    I think this one is almost exclusive to the Sun. When they append quotes with their own suggestive verbs, like:

"I wasn't expecting that", she fumed
    "I just bought another one", he boasted
    "I know we'll win", he bragged
    "I don't care", she sniffed
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed batchelor

Translation - We know he's gay but we'll get sued if we say so.

OT

XXX shows off her amazing new body (translation - she'd lost about 5 pounds)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "mauled" or "savaged" when someone has had a nip from an animal, usually a dog and they've got a tiny scratch to show for it. This article shows the total b*llocks they can come up with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2229171/Florence-Taylor-86-mauled-FERRET-leapt-mobility-scooter-sunk-teeth-leg.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stepping / Stepped out in the Daily Mail

Nobody says that. NOBODY!
  • Calamity-joCalamity-jo Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another favourite of the Daily Mail - "an onlooker revealed". Like when a celebrity couple are papped out and about - "they were gazing into each other's eyes and looked so loved up" an onlooker revealed - or some other such shite. :rolleyes:
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kupo_nut wrote: »
    Stepping / Stepped out in the Daily Mail

Nobody says that. NOBODY!

Absolutely HATE this one more than anything!! Who steps out?

And what does this one even mean... totes..?:confused:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2240156/Anna-Faris-makes-working-family-affair-totes-baby-Jack-sling--grandma-grandad-come-too.html

Also - cavorted, romped, frolicked... all put me in mind of baby lambs in a field.

When papers say someone romped, to me it only invokes visions of them bounding around a massive bed on all fours like a big daft labrador...
  • superbass88superbass88 Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Romp.

Does. My. Head. In.
  • Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the DM,no-one ever just wears clothes.
    They either "rock a look" or "debut an outfit" or "team" something with something else.
    And the worst one?
    Blah Blah uses the pavement as a catwalk? WTF?