Options

People with rubbish torches

Comments

• Options
    Default_UserDefault_User Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    People really walk round with torches? I've never ever seen anyone wandering around with a torch.

Sounds like you're in need of a good torch.;)
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    mine burns out too fast should i be using some kind of pitch or tar?
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torches are for women, and men who have failed. Real men use night vision goggles, and carry a cobra with them. Between night vision and a cobra you are completely covered for all situations.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Its the potholes and dog shit which are the tricky things to spot on black tarmac in the total dark (no moonlight or starlight).

we didn`t have tarmac either:D
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I carry a 4 cell maglite at work.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a flashing led armband but I only use it for running.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I carry a full floodlit stadium. And a Sony Walkman.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Get yourself a CREE LED bulb for it and you'll be able to use it to see what you're doing.

As well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My house is full of torches I've bought at b$q at the till.

All brilliant.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Not keen on maglites I dont think they are that good. I much prefer my Fenix torch. Its the size of a gnats erect cock but its powerful.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Using a torch blasts out your night vision, so your overall view is greatly diminished...
    Not for me it doesn't seem to. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not keen on maglites I dont think they are that good.

Large maglites are still favoured by security guards etc, and it's not because of the light they produce. ;)
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,694
    Forum Member
    I would say I have seen some really good lights on bicycles. The best I ever saw was a flashing red light that would not have been out of place on the side of a tall structure. It was so bright it made me stop walking in the road and wait until whatever it was passed me so I could actually determine it was a bike.
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Large maglites are still favoured by security guards etc, and it's not because of the light they produce. ;)

I understand the big ones will knock someone out if they **** someone with it.

I tend to use torches for light painting so my fenix is awesome.
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say I have seen some really good lights on bicycles. The best I ever saw was a flashing red light that would not have been out of place on the side of a tall structure. It was so bright it made me stop walking in the road and wait until whatever it was passed me so I could actually determine it was a bike.
    I think I would have momentarily panicked.... :o
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    Only 500? This is much better

Dear me for that price I would expect it to put the kettle on when we got back home.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Once saw somebody with a sort of illuminated headband on a bicycle.

It was certainly "visible" but it was flashing all sorts of neon colours and, catching the person up on a twisty country road at night, the main thing I found myself thinking is "WTF IS THAT???!!!" until I was actually behind the rider and could see him and his bicycle illuminated by my headlights.

Seems like any lights on a vehicle should really be restricted to the standard "white in front - red at the back" variety.

Just looking for some new lights for my own bicycle and I've seen some with built-in brake-lights and wireless indicators.
    Might give them a go.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hub's a torch freak and always on about torches, which we have to use around these parts. My main torch is very small, but its light is strong enough to see the ground ahead of me. :D I'd never be without it in Winter, but do have other torches, and one is a candle torch which has a powerful light, but too big to keep in one's pocket:D That torch has it's own charger:D I use that torch when I hear any noises at the back in the dead of night, when no one should be there. It's also good for spotting foxes on their walk through the allotments.

Think that's exhausted the torch subject eh. ;):D
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I've just come in and as I was walking home the street lights were all being turned off. The shadows got so dense under the trees I was really pleased I had my Maglite - and as has been mentioned here, not just for the light it gives. Being plunged into darkness on empty streets is a wee bit scary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    ...and as has been mentioned here, not just for the light it gives. Being plunged into darkness on empty streets is a wee bit scary.

FWIW, a lot of the smaller aluminium torches have an aggresive zig-zag edge to the front bezel, properly referred to as a "strike face".

Course, getting blood all over the lens reduced the light output. :o
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    I cycle home across an unlit park where pedestrians share the path with cyclists. I can't believe how rubbish most peoples torches are concidering that seeing what is ahead is so important to safety. Some seem to just be a tiny blue single LED.

With such good lights available for under a tenner why are people using such junk lights? In fact some people use no light at all.:confused:

I would not set off along such dark paths without seeing what (or who) was ahead and I'm a fairly tough bloke.

I got a Maglite LED AA for £12 out of TK Maxx a couple of years ago and it really is powerful and has saved me a few times.

Do you carry a decent light these dark evenings?

I have a tiny pink Maglite that has saved us a few times camping or when looking for summat in the garden at night, when our bigger supposedly better torches have died. Must have had it more than ten years now and is still going strong. :D Got it in the camping shop.
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the torches theme for a moment or two :D
    Keep some in a drawer in case they are needed:
    1..blue Mini Maglite
    2..M&M
    3...a hand charging pig light( plastic)
    4...a red plastic non descript|( still working, and with keyring)
    5....a hand easy held red Maglite type( for seeing where the key hole is)
    6..2 large older style Maglites from the US
    7..and a silver wind up one, which goes with the windup radio
    8..a large black rubber one
    and a plethera of other types. :D

So what types do the rest of you have then? :D:D
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a very popular forum for all things Torch here:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php?s
    Over 200k members :eek:

Personally, all my torches are CREE led ones, with my favourite being a CREE XML-T6 powered beasty :D
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    On the torches theme for a moment or two :D
    Keep some in a drawer in case they are needed:
    1..blue Mini Maglite
    2..M&M
    3...a hand charging pig light( plastic)
    4...a red plastic non descript|( still working, and with keyring)
    5....a hand easy held red Maglite type( for seeing where the key hole is)
    6..2 large older style Maglites from the US
    7..and a silver wind up one, which goes with the windup radio
    8..a large black rubber one
    and a plethera of other types. :D

So what types do the rest of you have then? :D:D

I'm obviously a novice here...I have a small Duracell and that's it :o
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    People really walk round with torches? I've never ever seen anyone wandering around with a torch.

i know this isnt the middle ages anymore i use a flashlight