Christopher Nolan to direct Interstellar

14567810»

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out on bluray. I really struggled with the audio. Constantly having to turn it up to hear people and down when the action scenes happened. Really annoying.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Out on bluray. I really struggled with the audio. Constantly having to turn it up to hear people and down when the action scenes happened. Really annoying.

Interestingly, Mark Kermode covered Interstellar in his most recent Uncut Vblog. He basically discussed how he thought that it might lose a lot of its visual impact on home cinema systems - especially as Kermode has seen it on the BFI IMAX and in old fashioned 15/70 mm IMAX film.

Lots of people have mentioned that in the cinema, there were problems with the audio - like you mentioned. I can't say that I noticed it when I watch it - although the action sequence(storm and the black hole sequences) were really loud.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I watched it the other day and the audio was all over the place. One minute you had to turn it up to hear the actors, next minute the full orchestra started up and blows you ear drums out.

I liked the idea of the film, the visuals and acting were good, but I personally think they could of chopped a good 30mins maybe more out of the film.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed this film, ive watched it twice but it had flaws. Too long, first third was slow, i felt they couldnt fit in proper character development because the first third took too much time. And it kept irritating me how coop didnt seem to care at all about his son. At the end he didnt even ask about him. I assume he was dead but who knows? Coop didnt even bother to ask
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    A god awful film, can't believe I sat through it. Like Gravity and Prometheus massive plot holes, bad science and over hyped.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    And it kept irritating me how coop didnt seem to care at all about his son. At the end he didnt even ask about him. I assume he was dead but who knows? Coop didnt even bother to ask

Also the fact that when he finally meets up with his daughter, someone who he loved so much that he managed to communicate with her through dimensions, she basically goes "nice to see you, ok you can go now and meet Anne Hathaway".
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Boring and tedious, had to have subtitles on the lead actor, can't get away with all these sci fifilms , too many of them
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DVD is just as bad. Dolby 5.1 sound only with humongous volume range: Surging organ pipes over rocket engines alternating with soft spoken drawl and dying breaths.

I re-watched it with subtitles to catch the information lost.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I will wait and rent it out the library then :/
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    tombigbee wrote: »
    Also the fact that when he finally meets up with his daughter, someone who he loved so much that he managed to communicate with her through dimensions, she basically goes "nice to see you, ok you can go now and meet Anne Hathaway".
    Yep. You would've thought the film would at least provide the audience with a decent pay-off here given the investment in their relationship, but its cursory treatment was hugely underwhelming. I've said elsewhere Nolan was out of his depth and it certainly shows here.
  • D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tombigbee wrote: »

Throughout the film it's implied (well smacked him with a sledgehammer) that Coop was an explorer not meant for this world, to sit around growing crops. His daughter states no parent should have to see their children die as she knows she's coming to an end and frees him of the guilt she placed upon his shoulders when he left her as a child, allowing him to do what he dreamed of.

I thought this was pretty clear.
    Forum Member
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    Throughout the film it's implied (well smacked him with a sledgehammer) that Coop was an explorer not meant for this world, to sit around growing crops. His daughter states no parent should have to see their children die as she knows she's coming to an end and frees him of the guilt she placed upon his shoulders when he left her as a child, allowing him to do what he dreamed of.

I thought this was pretty clear.
    This sort of reasoning isn't the issue. It's Nolan's treatment of it that falls short. Here was a moment that really needed greater emphasis to put its point across, but Nolan just wasn't up to it. As drama it's a complete bust. But then Interstellar often forsakes the old maxim show, don't tell for cringey dialogue so it shouldn't really surprise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought "no parent should watch their child die" was emphasis enough. I guess you missed that part.
    Forum Member
    I would have thought "no parent should watch their child die" was emphasis enough. I guess you missed that part.
    No, I didn't miss it and you miss the point again. Nolan couldn't conjure any satisfactory drama from it - it just fell flat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I didn't miss it and you miss the point again. Nolan couldn't conjure any satisfactory drama from it - it just fell flat.

For you, but then it appears you've not really paid enough attention to it.
    Forum Member
    For you, but then it appears you've not really paid enough attention to it.
    Oh really? To me it highlighted the problem(s) the film had as a whole - that it stumbles clumsily between two stools (formal and emotive), and Nolan doesn't have the skill to spin a cohesive, rewarding whole out of its parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you've made it clear how you felt, but it appears either you didn't get it or your underlying disdain for Nolan is clouding your judgement.

You weren't satisfied, fair enough, move on.
    Forum Member
    Yes, you've made it clear how you felt, but it appears either you didn't get it or your underlying disdain for Nolan is clouding your judgement.

You weren't satisfied, fair enough, move on.
    Didn't get what? You can't just say that and sign off.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think that scene fell flat. I thought it was really touching. If anything bugged me about it, it was that the rest of the family seemed completely non-plussed about finally meeting Coop.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyable, Matt Damon bit was predictable as hell, have seen that it countless movies. All a bit of a mishmash of ideas from other films was my end verdict. Like the soundtrack.