Options

Alcoholism - is it an illness?

alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There's a thread in Showbiz about David Hasslehoff's latest stint in hospital due to his drinking, and some of the responses have been harsh. As far as I am aware, alcoholism is an illness and people need help and support not condemnation. Am I on my own thinking this?

Comments

• Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I would class it as an addiction, and I'm not entirely convinced addictions are illnesses.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I think it is an illness.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people are genetically more predisposed to it as far as I understand. But there isn't just one type, or one cause, of alcoholism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Wench, I don't see it as an illness - then again I had personal experience with alcoholism and have seen it ruin lives and find it hard to have sympathy
  • Options
    doughnut8doughnut8 Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was David Hasslehoff I would turn to drink also so it's not really his fault.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't any more an Illness than any other addiction.

If Addiction was an illness with random symptoms then your local GP would be inundated with people addicted to eating excrement or people addicted to buying Morris Marinas.

Funny then that all so called Addictions are of the pleasurable variety, drugs, nicotine, booze, gambling, cakes, sex with cakes, Etc.

If it's an illness then I want time off my work for my pack-a-day Pringles problem [ I can't get enuff of 'em ].
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Research suggests and I can believe that many alchoholics may have some form of mental illness, either diagnosed or not, either mild or more severe. I can attest that this is the case in my family, in which alcoholism is rife.

So my take on it is that I don't think alcoholism is an illness in the true sense of things, but I do believe it is a symptom of a another more deep rooted problem/illness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This how AA define alcoholism:

"Alcoholism is a primary illness or disorder characterised by some loss of control over drinking, with habituation or addiction to the drug alcohol, causing interference in any major life function, e.g. health, family, job, spiritual, friends,legal."

The main problem alcoholics have is the loss of control over their drinking, regardless of where it takes them, and that must surely be symptom of a psychiatric disorder?
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It is not an illness IMO, it is an addiction and a lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    feistyfeisty Posts: 2,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It is not an illness IMO, it is an addiction and a lifestyle choice.

It is most certainly NOT a lifestyle choice. Have you ever met anyone in life who's ambition was to be an alcoholic? Everyone who drinks alcohol is at risk of become addicted...however we dont know who is more pre disposed.
    If an alcoholic isn't able to get into recovery (for whatever reason) they will die....I do not believe this is an informed choice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So my take on it is that I don't think alcoholism is an illness in the true sense of things, but I do believe it is a symptom of a another more deep rooted problem/illness.

Ditto...certainly the case in my family anyway.

AJxx
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    feisty wrote: »
    It is most certainly NOT a lifestyle choice. Have you ever met anyone in life who's ambition was to be an alcoholic? Everyone who drinks alcohol is at risk of become addicted...however we dont know who is more pre disposed.
    If an alcoholic isn't able to get into recovery (for whatever reason) they will die....I do not believe this is an informed choice.

I lived with an alcoholic for 16 years, it was his choice to drink.
    He was dry at times, but the choice of social drinking aften got the better of him. He loved drink more than anything in the world, so yes, it was a kind of ambition to be a drunkard.

He chose the lifestyle, I chose to leave.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol abuse is classified as a mental disorder/illness under DSM-IV (Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders).

The American Medical association define it as a disease and an addiction.

Some studies, and my own personal opinion - indicate that alcoholism is something that carries an element of genetic predisposition. (Which is why most people who drink - even heavily/regularly don't become 'alcoholics' in the true sense of the word.)

The fact that genetic predisposition could be a major factor, supports the fact that it can be defined as an illness/mental disorder.

I adamantly REFUSE to believe alcoholism is a lifestyle choice, and that alcoholics choose to drink - because they DON'T - they are overrun with addiction, and that means it isn't a choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Alcohol abuse is classified as a mental disorder/illness under DSM-IV (Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders).

The American Medical association define it as a disease and an addiction.

Some studies, and my own personal opinion - indicate that alcoholism is something that carries an element of genetic predisposition. (Which is why most people who drink - even heavily/regularly don't become 'alcoholics' in the true sense of the word.)

The fact that genetic predisposition could be a major factor, supports the fact that it can be defined as an illness/mental disorder.

I adamantly REFUSE to believe alcoholism is a lifestyle choice, and that alcoholics choose to drink - because they DON'T - they are overrun with addiction, and that means it isn't a choice.
    Well said, Hypnodisc. A lifestyle choice implies the person is choosing to drink for pleasure. An alcoholic has no choice and very little pleasure in their lives either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was dry at times, but the choice of social drinking aften got the better of him. He loved drink more than anything in the world, so yes, it was a kind of ambition to be a drunkard.

I am sorry that was your experience...However I don't believe any alcoholic does so thru ambition....if they dont receive the correct help and treatment as to how to maintain sobriety they will relapse and return to drinking. Sadly relapse is a symptom of the illness, just as how spots are a symptom of measles. I appreciate this is very hard to understand and accept when it not only destroys the alcoholic but all those that they come in contact with ie families, employers, neighbours etc....

The person you lived with was not a social drinker...once an alcoholic starts to drink they just have to carry on, social drinkers do not have that "need".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Allen Carr, the guy who wrote the books on stopping smoking, has also written one on alcohol. He argues that alcoholics are only different from ‘normal’ drinkers in degree, not kind, and compares a human drinking alcohol to a fly in a pitcher plant: the fly’s enjoying the nectar, and the slope at the top is so slight, that he doesn’t realise he will get trapped. ..

I guess psychological/genetic factors will affect how quickly people get sucked in, but alcohol is an addictive drug, like heroin is an addictive drug.

PS This is the book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Control-Alcohol/dp/0572028504

PPS He also includes a quote by Christian Barnaard: ‘The process of becoming an alcoholic can take anything from 2 to 60 years, although 10 to 15 is the average. You may think you are immune, but do not be complacent.’
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wittering wrote: »
    Allen Carr, the guy who wrote the books on stopping smoking, has also written one on alcohol. He argues that alcoholics are only different from ‘normal’ drinkers in degree, not kind, and compares a human drinking alcohol to a fly in a pitcher plant: the fly’s enjoying the nectar, and the slope at the top is so slight, that he doesn’t realise he will get trapped. ..

I guess psychological/genetic factors will affect how quickly people get sucked in, but alcohol is an addictive drug, like heroin is an addictive drug.

PS This is the book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Control-Alcohol/dp/0572028504

PPS He also includes a quote by Christian Barnaard: ‘The process of becoming an alcoholic can take anything from 2 to 60 years, although 10 to 15 is the average. You may think you are immune, but do not be complacent.’

If it was as easy to stop with a book the dr's surgery would be piled high with them...As so many people they see in the day with all types of varying symptoms can be attributed to alcoholism...and even Dr's dont spot it...If the answer lay in a book...their would be no need for the thousand of AA groups thru out the world or the rehab's.

I appreciate your quote from Christian Barnaard...very true!
  • Options
    B3atenB3aten Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    Some people are genetically more predisposed to it as far as I understand. But there isn't just one type, or one cause, of alcoholism.

The only drugs that I've used (on purpose) have been nicotine, alcohol and weed. I used to smoke daily, but coming back down out of the happy state and back to reality I found quite difficult. I think that the psychological jump from the greed of expression and being yourself under influence to the stark reality of reality around you can depress you, because you crave something in a natural state that you can only experience when under the influence and is not something that you can experience when in work or functioning normally.

Cigarettes - they can help you keep slim, they do act as a crutch, and as a reformed smoker, I still can understand people smoking. I don't have a problem with it. The only reason I packed up was because I can't afford to smoke. Now I've packed up, I certainly won't take it up again because I don't want the financial drag.

Alcohol - It lifts the mood, and helps me sleep. I know that I drink too much, but I don't take deliberate risks. Drinking is now frowned on so much more than it was 7 or so years ago, when it was quite common to go for a beer lunchtime or after work.

Whilst I certainly don't condone drink-driving, I think that we are getting to a point where we are becoming a nation of bores existing in a surveillance based controlled nanny state. We are insular to the point that we know more about pretend people on the TV than the real people we live next to or work with.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I work with drink every day. Not fun and gives you bad headaches with the stress of working with alcohol abusers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with drink every day. Not fun and gives you bad headaches with the stress of working with alcohol abusers.

You have a choice....the practising alcoholic doesn't....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    feisty wrote: »
    If it was as easy to stop with a book the dr's surgery would be piled high with them...As so many people they see in the day with all types of varying symptoms can be attributed to alcoholism...and even Dr's dont spot it...If the answer lay in a book...their would be no need for the thousand of AA groups thru out the world or the rehab's.

Oh I totally agree! I posted mainly because I liked his theory about alcoholism. It seems to have helped some people, e.g. if they were still drinking because they thought all they needed to do was learn how to control their intake, it basically says forget it, you have to stop. I guess many people would be too far gone for that, though :(
  • Options
    qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My mum is an alcoholic and my dad was also one. I do believe addiction is a powerful force, but I don't think it's an illness either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    I think that alcoholism is an illness. It is definitely not a choice - who'd chose to hurt those the love? Who'd want to drink away everything - money, job, family, health? Who wants to wake up in a ditch, covered in urine and vomit? Who'd chose the guilt and the shame? Who'd chose the constant battle between the need to drink and the will to not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,360
    Forum Member
    Also, bout dual diagnosis:
    It’s suggested that 30 to 50 per cent of people with mental health problems also have current drug or alcohol issues. One UK study of people with mental health problems, in a secure psychiatric unit, found a dual diagnosis rate of over 50 per cent, and another found the same was true among inpatients in acute psychiatric wards in London.

It’s possible that as many as a half to two-thirds of people who come into contact with drug or alcohol treatment services may also have some kind of mental health problem, although they will not necessarily have contact with mental health services.

See:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/help/diagnoses_and_conditions/dual_diagnosis#common
  • Options
    mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,768
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

you are absolutely right and I totally agree. It's so refreshing to know that some people truly believe this too - thank you