Problems at work. Need help.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am experiencing a lot of problems at work and need some advice as to who I should approach.

I suffer from bipolar disorder and am currently feeling very depressed.

I have been badly treated by the assistant manager and the manager there for some considerable time.

I have a trial for a telesales job on Monday and if that is successful I think I might take the role.

I have requested holidays and submitted my holiday dates for the rest of this going into next year. My colleagues holidays had their holidays approved but I have not. Am I legally entitled to holidays and is it fair that mine have been withheld from me?

Does anyone recommend anyone with whom I can seek advice/guidance from?

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that you have been badly treated. Your Bipolar Disorder is probably covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, so if you feel that you are being mistreated because of your condition your employers may be heading for trouble. This will tell you a bit more:
    http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/your-rights/disability/the-law-about-disability-discrimination/

Are you in a union? They can be invaluable in situations like this. I think everyone is entitled to Annual Leave, but I'm not an expert. It would be worth talking to your local Citizens Advice (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    It sounds as if you have expressed your situation regarding another post to others in the office and the buzz has got through to your boss who may be hesitant to schedule your dates in the event that if you depart there may need to be some restructuring of holidays.

You should have been provided with a copy of your 'conditions of service' when you joined the company; this document will provide all the information on your entitlements. If you cannot find the copy then possibly one of your associates may be able to show you theirs as the conditions should be the same.

Bipolar types tend to be pessimists and find difficulty at speaking in positive terms almost on all topics. Sadly others do not wish to hear bad news partly as they have their own problems and negativity does tend to depress others. Remember the adage, when you laugh the world laughs with you but when you cry you cry alone.

Others tend to think that when you are changing jobs that you are being disloyal to your present company and as such they (supervisors & bosses) do not feel that they have the same obligations towards you. It does sound as if you have been (unwittingly) your own worst enemy.

There is no reason why you should not query your situation but in a friendly way laced, if and where possible, with a little appropriate humour but something topical; possibly something like, "Do I get treble pay if I don't get holidays?" The reply could be, "What do you mean?" Then you can say, "Well I note that I am not listed; does this mean that I am indispensable?" Simply keep making indirect comment but with some subtlety. Do you think you could manage this?

Finally (and here is a cap of grey hairs for a green head) always tell your supervisor and boss what they want to hear and never tell your supervisor (nor best friend) too much about your feelings but sympathise with theirs on all points. It is all part of life's game but this is a serious game so avoid shooting yourself on the foot through being too candid!

Everyone likes to be courted and especially those in your life on whom your are dependent so always play the courting game if you want to get what you want! Always appear at your best in both decorum and deportment and never reveal too much about yourself and you will never regret doing this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having consulted ACAS, Direct Gov and the Citizens Advice Bureau I am entitled to annual leave providing I have given plenty of notice which I have as the dates I wish to take start from September which gives my current employer plenty of time to find cover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having consulted ACAS, Direct Gov and the Citizens Advice Bureau I am entitled to annual leave providing I have given plenty of notice which I have as the dates I wish to take start from September which gives my current employer plenty of time to find cover.

I suggest you drop an email or memo to your employer.

Dear (name). I am trying to firm up my holiday plans with friends/family and it would be helpful if you could let me know sometime in the next week if the dates I asked for (x to x September) are OK. I did request these back in (month or precise date if you can recall) but haven't heard anything. Thanks!
    Forum Member
    Each employee is entitled to time off from work but only when it is convenient to the employer and not the employee. You are there to provide a service and in return you will be given certain considerations such as holidays and if you are lucky paid holidays but those can only be provided when it is convenient to the company and not to yourself. If you need to have holidays when it suits you then start your own company or work for yourself.

It is best not to email your boss as suggested above but rather, make a personal approach; remember whoever your boss is he/she is only an ordinary person with normal feelings but carries some, if not complete accountability, for the viability and success of the organisation. If the company fails, then you have no job! The company's requirements are paramount to your needs.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Duparc wrote: »
    Each employee is entitled to time off from work but only when it is convenient to the employer and not the employee. You are there to provide a service and in return you will be given certain considerations such as holidays and if you are lucky paid holidays but those can only be provided when it is convenient to the company and not to yourself. If you need to have holidays when it suits you then start your own company or work for yourself.

Oh dear. Are you a manager? You do realise that this is the 21st century and not the 18th?

OP, I'm hoping that you are not coming up against inflexibility to this extent!
    Forum Member
    It is not a question of what I am or what I was, the question is one of reality and the reality is, whatever century one is in, no company, no job!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is best not to email your boss as suggested above but rather, make a personal approach; remember whoever your boss is he/she is only an ordinary person with normal feelings but carries some, if not complete accountability, for the viability and success of the organisation. If the company fails, then you have no job! The company's requirements are paramount to your needs.

You sound like a little jobsworth don't you!
    Forum Member
    I take it, from your comment, that you are one of life's lilliputians? The person needs advice that will not mislead nor invoke problems so why don't you address the thread rather than taking issue with other posters?
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. Are you a manager? You do realise that this is the 21st century and not the 18th?

You would be surprised at the number of people who aren't given the time off for holidays due to shortage of staff levels.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would be surprised at the number of people who aren't given the time off for holidays due to shortage of staff levels.

I would agree with this. We are allowed only 2 people to be off at the same time within our department. This makes summer breaks a bit of a scrum so I have sympathy with the OP but I am realistic enough to know that the real world is sometimes cruel. All I can suggest is to ask the line manager why the request has not been approved. If there is a genuine reason they will be told and can decide accordingly. There's no point in throwing a strop until you know the full facts. These days most managers are well aware of employment legislation and will not withold holidays for other than justifiable reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member

Bipolar types tend to be pessimists and find difficulty at speaking in positive terms almost on all topics.

Bipolar types?? What is a bipolar type? Bipolar can affect anyone, regardless of personality. And the pessimism and negative outlook you refer to is a symptom of the depression that is part of bipolar, it is not who the person is. When well someone with bipolar is no more or less pessimistic than anyone else
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member

Mr&MrsRR wrote: »
    You sound like a little jobsworth don't you!

You are all being very unfair on Duparc. What he said is exactly right, in fact it is in most contracts that you should not book your holiday until you have had it authorised by your manager as they have the right to refuse it on various grounds (the main ones being peak times and other members of staff being off) Holidays are generally given on a first come first served basis.

OP - I would agree with the above, speak personally to your manager - explain why you want september off and if he/she says no then ask for a written explaination for your records.
    There is no need to get upset or personal with them, it will do no good.

Reference your depression - you are included in the disability discrimation act (as someone else pointed out) and its work speaking to your HR rep to express your worries about unfair treatment. You need to document everything as and when it happens (start a diary) and keep hold of any paper work that might support your cause.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - do check that the manager has your request - it maybe that they haven't got it and it's good to remind them if they are sitting on it.

Good luck on Monday but may I ask - is telesales right for you? I've worked alongside telesales staff in publishing and it's very relentless and ruthless. Make sure you're comfortable with the new job before you take that leap.
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bipolar types tend to be pessimists and find difficulty at speaking in positive terms almost on all topics.
    Bipolar types?? What is a bipolar type? Bipolar can affect anyone, regardless of personality. And the pessimism and negative outlook you refer to is a symptom of the depression that is part of bipolar, it is not who the person is. When well someone with bipolar is no more or less pessimistic than anyone else

Just to add to MB's comment, there is no Bipolar 'type'. Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric condition, and not a personality trait!

Also, Bipolar means that the person experiences extreme highs (mania) as well as extreme lows. When in a manic phase of the condition, the person is just the opposite of pessimistic.

I can only speak for myself here, but in the first stages of mania my productivity at work goes through the roof. I'm also chatty, boisterous, and overly optimistic.

Between episodes, people with Bipolar are just like anyone else. Some pessimistic, some not; just like people without the condition.

Sorry for going on a rant, but I find it extremely annoying when people make sweeping statements about something they have only limited knowledge of (or no knowledge of at all).

Rant over now; sorry again!

x