Trevor Eve slams BBC 'Who' focus

TraynorTraynor Posts: 1,352
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Trevor Eve has blasted the BBC for focusing its resources on Doctor Who.

The actor told The Sunday Times that the corporation is neglecting other series in favour of the popular sci-fi drama.

"All they are interested in are spinoffs from Doctor Who and [shows similar to] Doctor Who, like Sherlock," he claimed.

The Waking The Dead star complained that Who was receiving "all the budget and all the attention"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctor-who/news/a273589/trevor-eve-slams-bbc-who-focus.html

I think he may well have a point.

Comments

• be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Eve doesn't understand that Doctor Who more than pays for itself via merchandising and foreign sales. 14 episodes a year is hardly an obsession when you consider how much the programme contributes to the corporation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    These types of shows are massively successful, and pull in large audiences, of course they are going to focus on them a lot. Jeez. moan moan moan. Not happy that there are actually successful British shows being exported, and celebrated.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm.... Sounds a lot like sour grapes to me. I bet if Trevor Eve had a part with Dr Who he wouldn't be whinging.

And no, I'm not a Who fan in the slightest.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Well, I am a Doctor Who fan and consider every penny spent on the show is money extremely well spent.

Trevor Eve? Sounds like he applied for the job and got turned down, a case of sour grapes!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm........Seems there’s not much acting involved when he dons the persona of DCI Boyd.

Some cheese with your whine Trevor?

PS. Your daughter is a hottie.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    it does get most of the advertising budget, promotional trails etc so he has a point - hardly anything else gets a look in or the months its on
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    He's right, though. The argument that Doctor Who is popular and makes a lot of money isn't relevant, given that the BBC aren't a commercial channel. Instead of producing more shows like that - Robin Hood, Merlin, Sherlock etc. - the Beeb should put some of that revenue towards better shows.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    Trevor is on a big salary for shows that, while once hits, are growing stale with the viewer. Poor baby is having a vent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Well I think Sherlock and DW, are by far the best BBC shows in a long time. Actually, Torchwood as well. They can spend all they want on those in my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again bbc always make great mistakes with other thing they try.

Look at Luther and Hustle poor.

They should do more of a Underbelly.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karl Rove wrote: »
    Again bbc always make great mistakes with other thing they try.

Look at Luther and Hustle poor.

They should do more of a Underbelly.
    Even if you don't like Hustle, it's a bit weird to call it a "mistake" when it has been recommissioned for a seventh series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you don't like Hustle, it's a bit weird to call it a "mistake" when it has been recommissioned for a seventh series.

But the writing is poor.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's right, though. The argument that Doctor Who is popular and makes a lot of money isn't relevant, given that the BBC aren't a commercial channel. Instead of producing more shows like that - Robin Hood, Merlin, Sherlock etc. - the Beeb should put some of that revenue towards better shows.

Well said!

Dr Who, Robin Hood and Merlin are surely aimed at children and Torchwood acts like it is.

Sherlock, well I want to give it more of a chance, but yes its comparable to this new breed of silly and inane big budget shows the BBC insist on producing.
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Personally I think the BBC spend too much money on middle-of-the-road "family" shows like those, and don't invest enough in serious, ambitious, adult-oriented drama.

BBC Four shows Mad Men, why not invest some money into producing something of the same quality?
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think the BBC spend too much money on middle-of-the-road "family" shows like those, and don't invest enough in serious, ambitious, adult-oriented drama.

BBC Four shows Mad Men, why not invest some money into producing something of the same quality?

This is certainly true, if for example something like A Bouquet of Barbed Wire (remake starts ITV 1 tonight, by sheer coincidence! ;) ) were put forward as a possible 7 part series for the BBC now they'd say no chance. Costs too much, no real spin off potential, hard to sell overseas...and one imagines they would say the say of Mad Men or the Wire.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not.

Why can they do show's like CSI and so on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this is true, but ITV are best with one off dramas...is this because BBC pay less attention to their dramas unless they're Doctor Who-related? I don't know. I just don''t there's a problem here. I've never heard anybody complain about the number of Doctor Who spin offs etc and personally I think it's great!x
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All commercial channels are like this, after a while any channel one cares to name becomes the "X" channel (where X is that programme they keep going on about...)

Of course why the BBC is run like a commercial network is a mystery considering the whole effing point of the TV licence is that they don't have to.

I like Dr Who but the BBC do flog it to death.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I really liked Sherlock, but I do agree that the BBC needs more of a variety I'd like to see some decent drama one-offs.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lack of creativity is a problem across British television. Its not something thats unique to the BBC, its a problem for all TV channels.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Oh dear Trevor Eve has told the truth will he work for the Beeb again?

They used to be obsessed with Eastenders, now they're obsessed with Dr Who.
  • m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness for Trevor Eve. One guy who's not afraid of speaking his mind, and speaks a world of sense. How right he is about Doctor Who, the biggest load of tosh that sadly ever was commissioned in the drama department. Why this farce was never relegated to CBBs, I'll never know. Even some 10 year olds find it beneath them.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Traynor wrote: »
    Trevor Eve has blasted the BBC for focusing its resources on Doctor Who.
    I only wish they were :( All I read about Who last year was about cuts to their budget. So Mr Eve needs to get his facts right.

And how, exactly, is Sherlock anything like DW?

I can only assume he's bitter about his show being cancelled or something.
    Instead of producing more shows like that - Robin Hood, Merlin, Sherlock etc.
    Please outline how any of the shows you list are anything like Doctor Who. (Other than their being dramas on BBC1) :rolleyes: :confused:
    m06een00 wrote: »
    How right he is about Doctor Who, the biggest load of tosh that sadly ever was commissioned in the drama department.
    Whilst I respect your right to hold your own opinion, the viewing figures mean that an average of 7.7m people disagree with you.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Yeah.

Why waste money on the world’s longest running and (arguably) most popular science fiction programme?

Why waste money on a show that’s enjoyed by the majority of licence payers — people of all ages from small children to the elderly? A show that so many people grew up with and hold dear?

Let’s face it: the BBC has plenty of long-running entertainment shows like this with mass appeal, so why bother?

Clearly money should not be spent on science fiction programmes that will benefit from a high budget. The money should go on programmes like Countryfile, or Songs of Praise so we can give those viewers all the lavish CGI and special effects that they so desperately crave.

Why waste money on a franchise that has gone from strength to strength in recent years, with a huge global fanbase, all making money for the BBC?

Why waste money on something so iconic and British, something that — like Harry Potter and James Bond — helps put our country on the map in popular entertainment?

Why waste money on this “old hat”, which continually evolves and changes, giving a vehicle to talented new actors and writers each of whom bring something new to the programme as it evolves over the years?

(In case you can’t tell, I was being sarcastic.)
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    How much does he earn for Waking the Dead? and wouldn't that be better spent invested in dramas. How much of that does he need?, given he has the opportunity to film other things around Waking the Dead?