5yr old grandson with severe constipation

jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
Forum Member
I was looking after my two grandsons yesterday, as I do often while mummy and daddy go go work and the 5 yr old went to the loo, after a few seconds he started crying and then screaming, when I went to him I found he was severely constipated, it was extremely hard and big, and I could feel it from the outside backed up in his large colon.

I tried massaging round the area and bit by bit, with some help from me he got it all out. It took about 50 minutes, with him sitting on the loo, very distressed and me trying to help and keep him calm. It was extremely upsetting for him and for me.

I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences and could suggest anything, he has a very healthy diet, they both have fruit every day and my son and daughter in law are always reminding him to drink water. I haven't any experience of constipation as my two sons never suffered from it.

Comments

• bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    when I went to him I found he was severely constipated, it was extremely hard and big, and I could feel it from the outside backed up in his large colon.

I find this very difficult to believe. And the idea of massaging to help out even more difficult to believe! There are well-known methods of dealing with this problem but I've never come across that one.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you reported it to his parents or discussed it with them and they will be seeking qualified medical advice if they consider it necessary and monitoring the situation in the future.

In which case they will no doubt inform you if there is any future action you need to take when he is in your care.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I phoned his mum to ask what I could do to alleviate it, it was her who told me to massage round the area, and it did seem to help. I know she has taken him to the doctor with this problem and I think he has had medicine before, the trouble is he has to keep being reminded to drink more otherwise he will forget.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My son had the same problem at the same age. I took him to the doctor and the doctor prescribed some suppositories. The next time my son was struggling, I got the packet of suppositories out and he immediately managed to pass the stool!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned his mum to ask what I could do to alleviate it, it was her who told me to massage round the area, and it did seem to help. I know she has taken him to the doctor with this problem and I think he has had medicine before, the trouble is he has to keep being reminded to drink more otherwise he will forget.

He's five!! Of course he forgets :D

So it has been a problem, the parents have sought medical guidance...apparently drinking more water has been advised...so keep giving him drinks of water on a regular basis...job done.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    You have to do what the continence nurse or whoever you saw, told you make he takes the medicine and make sure he drinks lots when at home, and also make sure that the school are aware of his medical need so that he can be encouraged there too to drink lots.

He is five, of course he will forget to drink, but the adults around him must help to by reminding him.

Poor lovey, it must have been very painful for him, what exactly did you massage? his tummy?
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I find this very difficult to believe. And the idea of massaging to help out even more difficult to believe! There are well-known methods of dealing with this problem but I've never come across that one.

Oh really,? what is it you find very difficult to believe because I can tell you that is what happened, maybe, instead of being critical when all I've done is ask for some help, you could tell me what these well known methods are.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    My eldest always suffered with bowel problems too at that age as he ever drank enough. So yes tummy massages, vaseline on his bottom will help, the doctor will normally prescribe a stool softener like Movicol or lactulose when needed and can be represcribed normally with a phone call if a regular problem. I remember a particular bad one when he was a bit younger when I just lied him down and did literally have to use a warm bit of damp cotton wool and Vaseline and keep stimulating his anus to pass it he was in agony it was awful, also be aware that diarrhoea is also a sign of constipation sometimes.

I have to also add for Barts sake that yes you can feel it on the outside when they are straining to get a big poo out.
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    You have to do what the continence nurse or whoever you saw, told you make he takes the medicine and make sure he drinks lots when at home, and also make sure that the school are aware of his medical need so that he can be encouraged there too to drink lots.

He is five, of course he will forget to drink, but the adults around him must help to by reminding him.

Poor lovey, it must have been very painful for him, what exactly did you massage? his tummy?

The thing is, I only see him once a week, when I look after him and his little brother after school, and I do know that mummy and daddy are always reminding him to drink, they also have a good varied diet, with plenty of veg and fruit every day. I don't know if they've had a word with the school though.

Just seen my daughter in law when she dropped his little brother off for me to have while she puts in a couple of hours, she said that what she does is massage either side of the anus with a little bit of toilet paper and that seems to help. I don't know if she was advised to do that by the doctor or nurse. He's fine now though, but never having had to cope with it before, my two sons never had it , I found it quite upsetting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh really,? what is it you find very difficult to believe because I can tell you that is what happened, maybe, instead of being critical when all I've done is ask for some help, you could tell me what these well known methods are.

You mentioned fruit and veg in his diet...it's high fibre that's more important...maybe consider switching the bread/breakfast cereal he has?

Exercise is also important...is it possible now he is at school he's actually getting less than when he was running round all day at home/nursery. My mother swore by a brisk walk if we were ever a bit constipated as kids and never ever had us to the docs or being given medication to cure it. I followed the same with mine.

Also some kids can resist the "urge" resulting in build up...won't poo in a strange place or at school or develop a sort of phobia for some reason they can barely articulate or the result of some embarrassing incident...is it possible he is doing this? One of mine had a brief spell of poo avoidance at 4/5 after a fart produced rather more during a family outing :D
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Hm, not sure that messing about with his bottom is the best idea, it may make him very sore, movicol and lactulose are great if you can get them to drink it, it is a medical condition so the school should know and should help in his drinking routine at school.

I know it's upsetting, but once a good medical routine is established then it will ease his problem, water is the key though, you can eat any amount of fibre, but without water it will not help that much.
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    My eldest always suffered with bowel problems too at that age as he ever drank enough. So yes tummy massages, vaseline on his bottom will help, the doctor will normally prescribe a stool softener like Movicol or lactulose when needed and can be represcribed normally with a phone call if a regular problem. I remember a particular bad one when he was a bit younger when I just lied him down and did literally have to use a warm bit of damp cotton wool and Vaseline and keep stimulating his anus to pass it he was in agony it was awful, also be aware that diarrhoea is also a sign of constipation sometimes.

I have to also add for Barts sake that yes you can feel it on the outside when they are straining to get a big poo out.

Thank you TWS, that's the sort of practical and sympathetic help I was looking for, I also have to add that his little brother doesn't seem to suffer with it, but then he is always drinking.:)
    Forum Member
    Thank you TWS, that's the sort of practical and sympathetic help I was looking for, I also have to add that his little brother doesn't seem to suffer with it, but then he is always drinking.:)

its funny isn't it my youngest drinks and drinks and drinks and never suffers with it, the only time he doesn't drink is when he is a bit poorly so then sometimes he ends up with rabbit droppings as I call them lol
    Forum Member

I tend to keep a good eye so to speak on my eldest motions and keep lactulose in stock so to speak then I will give him a low dose over a couple of days if needed, I work as a care assistant so bowel movements and stool softeners are my forte lol
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Hm, not sure that messing about with his bottom is the best idea, it may make him very sore, movicol and lactulose are great if you can get them to drink it, it is a medical condition so the school should know and should help in his drinking routine at school.

No-one is advocating messing around with his bottom however sometimes it is needed to help them pass a particularly horrible poo unless you want them tearing which is far worse than having a bit of damp cotton wool and some Vaseline rubbed on it. Animals lick their babies bums to stimulate pooing, humans do it with the above method when hand raising baby animals as well.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TWS wrote: »

Around the rectum possibly. But the OP said they could feel it in the colon. I don't really know anatomy but I thought the colon was hidden away behind muscle and bone at the back, and beneath muscle and small intestines at front. With a bladder in the vicinity, would it be wise to start squeezing around the abdominal area (if that's what the OP meant) unless you were a medical professional?

(And I would have suggested some ex-lax.)
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is he getting enough to drink at school? If they aren't aware of the problem they may not be reminding him. If the are aware of the problem, they still may not be reminding him. By the time he gets to you he may not have drunk since breakfast.

At most schools now they ask that children bring in water bottles or give them water bottles so they can drink throughout the day. If his school doesn't do this, perhaps they could be persuaded. If they do already allow at desk drinking, maybe they aren't actually reminding the 5 year olds to use their water bottles.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    A good dose of syrup of figs from Matron.
    Forum Member
    Around the rectum possibly. But the OP said they could feel it in the colon. I don't really know anatomy but I thought the colon was hidden away behind muscle and bone at the back, and beneath muscle and small intestines at front. With a bladder in the vicinity, would it be wise to start squeezing around the abdominal area (if that's what the OP meant) unless you were a medical professional?

(And I would have suggested some ex-lax.)

They don't generally recommend that type of laxative for children they tend to prefer the stool softener approach.
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he needs to pass a hard stool use some Vasaline around his rectum a cotton ball warmed in warm water will stimulate the muscles

. If he is on the toilet raise his legs towards his body ( knees up and your hands under his feet to help him squat rather than legs dangling )
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    If he needs to pass a hard stool use some Vasaline around his rectum a cotton ball warmed in warm water will stimulate the muscles

. If he is on the toilet raise his legs towards his body ( knees up and your hands under his feet to help him squat rather than legs dangling )

I'm not sure this should be done without the express permission of the parents.
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's really upset by her grandchild suffering and thats all you had to say. Can you give her advice please rather than questioning what she did and for your info my aunty did this to my sibling when she was a toddler and yes it was painful for her and my sibling.
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking after my two grandsons yesterday, as I do often while mummy and daddy go go work and the 5 yr old went to the loo, after a few seconds he started crying and then screaming, when I went to him I found he was severely constipated, it was extremely hard and big, and I could feel it from the outside backed up in his large colon.

I tried massaging round the area and bit by bit, with some help from me he got it all out. It took about 50 minutes, with him sitting on the loo, very distressed and me trying to help and keep him calm. It was extremely upsetting for him and for me.

I wondered if anyone had any similar experiences and could suggest anything, he has a very healthy diet, they both have fruit every day and my son and daughter in law are always reminding him to drink water. I haven't any experience of constipation as my two sons never suffered from it.

Id really take him to the doctor even though doctors aren't helpful these days. Add more fibre in his diet more fruit and green very. When I was small my mum always used to make freshly squeezed orange juice and it used to work a treat. I know castor oil used to help too but...I'd seek medical advice first. My sis normally goes to the toilet after she's had alot of green juice (spinach,apples and carrots) try that temporarily?
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    I'm not sure this should be done without the express permission of the parents.

Well the OP is his Nan and seems to have been in contact with his mum , so I would presume she would ask if its ok ?
    And a spot of Vaseline or a bit of sudocrem on a child bum that I am looking after is to me very normal ?