Options

Steam Cleaner?

squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just need a bit of advice. Just moved house, inherited carpets. Would you buy a steam cleaner to clean them or hire a carpet cleaner to clean them.

If you'd buy a steam cleaner, which one? how much?.

Any advice I'd be really grateful. :D

Comments

• Options
    union_jakunion_jak Posts: 4,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably would be a lot cheaper to hire a Rug Doctor from Johnsons Dry Cleaners. £19.99 for 24 hrs or £24.99 for 48 hrs! The detergant ranges from £7.49 to £14.99.
    Guess where I work on Saturdays!
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Proper carpet cleaning machines are a lot better. I've got a steamer and it's fine for lots of things but not much cop for carpets.
  • Options
    agentzagentz Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, get your hands on a decent carpet cleaner for a day or two - the difference it makes is amazing. Steam cleaners are OK but to be honest they're really hard work on carpets for any more than small spots.

I've tried various sorts of carpet cleaners and find that upright ones are much easier to use than the cylinder types IMO. A friend of ours bought a Bissell Proheat whatsit and it's great. It's become a communal machine shared between family and friends and it's had a lot of use and still performs really well.

Bissell sell their machines through a range of retailers including Currys and the like and I remember seeing an advert in some of the Sunday supliments where they were selling factory refurbished cleaners direct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would get a shampooer really, but steam cleaners are great for reviving carpets. My one brings the pile up like new, really fluffs it up. Then I shampoo it, vac it then resteam it to dry it off. Their not fantastic for removing stains though, hence why the shampooer would be a good idea. For maintanance though, a steam cleaner is ace.

I have a Bissel ProHeatOxypro and its ace. It's a floor only cleaner though, as the tools are absolutly ribbish on it, so I bought a George for tool usage. But the bissel brings stains out like anything, and the brushroll adds to the effectivness. I do our carpets on rotation about every 5 months, spot cleaning inbetween then and I always pull out brown coffee and sand. Its amazing how good carpets look after a good clean.