Options

Disadvantages of an external DVD?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Maybe it's just me but it seems like CD/DVD drives seem to snuff it regularly, regardless of how much they're used.

Occurred to me that the external, USB, DVD for my sub-notebook is several years old and is still going strong and I am considering binning the DVD drive in my PC completely and replacing it with a laptop-style external unit, in the hope that it'll last longer.

So, the question is, can anybody think of any real show-stopping disadvantages with relying on an external DVD drive?

About the only thing that worries me is that it might not allow the PC to boot from the drive, to install a new OS etc.
I've had a look at my BIOS settings and there is a "boot from USB device" option so that would seem to be okay.

I was just wondering, however, whether there were any other major disadvantages which I haven't thought of.
I don't really mind that the data-rate through USB will be slower than with an internal SATA drive.
Okay, it'll be a bit slower burning CDs and installing stuff but, as long as it'll play DVDs smoothly, that's not a problem.

I was, however, wondering if there might be problems with software not recognising an external drive as a valid device.
For example, maybe a game wouldn't work with an external drive because it wouldn't accept it as a valid media source?

So, anybody got any suggestions for why this might not be a good idea?

Comments

• Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took the DVD writer out of my PC and put in a HD caddy so I could swap disks easily. I have used an external usb writer for ages. You can boot from usb. I did it to install windows 7. Speed is no problem for most jobs, yes a bit slower than sata but not much.
    Games install ok and DVD writing all good.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's going to be an ancient machine that does not allow usb booting so generally i wouldn't care about such thinks unless you're doing IT support for places where they generally think a 386 is a rather modern chip ;)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    External DVDs work fine. Once you free up the internal slot, you can install a second hard drive instead using a DVD to HDD caddy. You could even install an ssd and really boost you u system (ssd replaces current HDD, and current HDD goes in DVD caddy). You have to come OS from current HDD and then format HDD of course.

Booting and loading apps etc will be much faster.