Options

Virgin need dynamic epg

ToenToen Posts: 795
Forum Member
✭✭
The BBC have some sport on so it over runs. Freeview box picks up the schedule change but my Tivo records the golf instead of Only Connect.
Yes one could blame the BBC but if Freeview+ can move the recording to the right time then Tivo could. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC control their own EPG in FreeView, Virgin is a closed system, for an EPG change the BBC have to send a notice to tribune, when then send an amended EPG to Virgin who then upload it to the head end and it is download to the box depending on when it's download is scheduled

Depending on when this occurs it may be too late for the rescheduling of the recording, also the tivo may have to move other recordings about at short notice if this occurs and as it's the lowest priority that is moved it could be if you're priority's are not correct a one off recording that is cancelled
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC do not control the EPG on freeview ...
    If there is a schedule change the BBC notify their play out contractor Ericsson who tell the EPG contractor another part of Ericsson ....
    They then notify ATOS who do the central collator on behalf if Digital UK for DTT ,
    ATOS likewise fir freesat and tell SKY For DSAT .
    They also tell other systems like websites etc...
    These are all designed to update almost instantly .
    They also may tell tribune but as the TiVo EPG like most EPGs is not reactive
    other than perhaps the now and next P/F ... Nothing happens...

Ericsson provides this service fir about 200 broadcasters http://www.ericsson.com/broadcastandmedia/what-we-do/content-discovery/tv-platform-metadata/
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    The BBC do not control the EPG on freeview ...
    If there is a schedule change the BBC notify their play out contractor Ericsson who tell the EPG contractor another part of Ericsson ....
    They then notify ATOS who do the central collator on behalf if Digital UK for DTT ,
    ATOS likewise fir freesat and tell SKY For DSAT .
    They also tell other systems like websites etc...
    These are all designed to update almost instantly .
    They also may tell tribune but as the TiVo EPG like most EPGs is not reactive
    other than perhaps the now and next P/F ... Nothing happens...

Ericsson provides this service fir about 200 broadcasters http://www.ericsson.com/broadcastandmedia/what-we-do/content-discovery/tv-platform-metadata/

But if sky, freeview etc can make a change happen instantly, then why can't we alter TiVo to do the same? it's hardwired into the internet and VM's network if anything it should be ahead not behind....
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said there are very few reactive channels in the world ..
    Particularly in the USA ..
    So why design an EPG to take rapid updates .. They are a great problem
    Particularly as in a broadcast there is no return path to verify the update .
    Far easier to have an unchanging thing downloaded once a day ..
    After all your newspaper listng work that way

Here we have BBC , ITV which are reactive
    plus up to 3? At sky and probably London live and ch4 can be staffed reactvelyy ,,,,

Over here in Europe the first international standard EPG EN 300-707
    Allowed for being able to send updates because it was specified and designed by people with a strong UK /BBC background who knew about updating ceefax when there was Wimbledon etc etc ..
    . And likewise from Italy the Netherlands and Germany though they spoke of Eurovision somg contest!

That carried on into DVB SI. And the Sky EPG before that ...
    But it is not easy to update a remote database... And substitute events etc etc..
    May be easier now but in the days if 8 bit micro controllers ... !!!!
    Because if limited terrestrial /teletext bandwidth the idea of rolling up the listings as was done in ceefax came in so there is incremental deletion from the head end not in what is time now,
  • Options
    ToenToen Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From my point of view its better to use my Humax box for the main channels. It is more reliable. Tivo is good but I would have missed Only Connect.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I remember having showshifter ona PC with a plugin that used to import the radio times every 30 minutes.

if that could do an updated EPG. why can't a TiVo.

I agree with you Technologist in why it can't be done with reactive channels etc etc.
    my point is, the tivo UK model has a high speed network link to both the internet and the inbuilt virgin network.

I cannot believe this box could not do a check on the day's worth of data and amend a small bit in the database in realtime.

if Freeview / DVB-T, and DVB-S satellite can do it.....

problem I face is that I have to extend most live recordings which either:

-cuts 5 mins from the end
    -goes over by 30 minutes wasting space.