Heston Blumenthal's ready meals at Waitrose

tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has anyone tried these. i've tried the Chilli con carne and the fish pie & i must say i'm not overlly impressed. whilst the fish pie had plenty of chunky fish pieces and prawns i actually found it to be quite dry. the chlli was packed full of so much flavour that it was actually overwhelming & not very enjoyable to eat. Not sure it i will bother trying the others now as those two were such a disappointment well maybe i'll try the mash potato as it is my favourite, hope that leave me disappointed as well.

Comments

• vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His tea-smoked salmon was fairly excellent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried some of his mince pies last Christmas - they had something odd sprinkled on them I think (must have been something I liked or I wouldn't have bought them) - they were horrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    His tea-smoked salmon was fairly excellent.

It is indeed but not as excellent as making your own, which is fairly easy and so much nicer (probabaly cheaper to!)
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Presumably, half the stuff comes with a sachet of liquid nitrogen or edible grass?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the chlli was packed full of so much flavour that it was actually overwhelming

That sounds like a recommendation to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Presumably, half the stuff comes with a sachet of liquid nitrogen or edible grass?

Just make sure you don't swallow it
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    I tried some of his mince pies last Christmas - they had something odd sprinkled on them I think (must have been something I liked or I wouldn't have bought them) - they were horrible.

Pine cone essence I think it was.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ainsley harriots cup soup satchets are nice but not specifically waitrose.

thing about waitrose is not the unicorn food, but the caramelised goat eggs .....
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    onefineday wrote: »
    That sounds like a recommendation to me.

Yes it does! I have one in my fridge and I'm looking forward to it now
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I suppose it's down to how much influence you expect the celebrity to have on the food.
    Have then had anything to do with the research or development? Have they even tasted the final product?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought some Shepherds pies last Sunday and they were very tasty.

At one third off they were good value. At full price, £4.99, they would be expensive.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seen these advertised on the tv. I don't have a waitrose very close which is a shame as some of his stuff does look nice. I date say they are expensive but worth it as a treat.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the advert, him telling some chefs in a kitchen to add more of this and that when really they're made on a production line by people in blue hairnets and white wellies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »
    Seen these advertised on the tv. I don't have a waitrose very close which is a shame as some of his stuff does look nice. I date say they are expensive but worth it as a treat.

Same here, our nearest Waitrose is 60 miles away :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had the caraway carrots and mashed potato.

The carrots need a few minutes in a pan and tasting them at that point they were pretty flavourful. However when put on the plate with the sauce distributed around and about they became just 'carrots'. Curious experience. The potato was just potato-milk-cream-butter, ie nothing remarkable. The potatoes are Apache*, a variety he's keen to promote, and the butter is Jersey, so you're paying for that, plus naturally the Heston brand.

I like Waitrose, but the main influence of Heston Blumenthal it seems to me is to get people to pay a little more for their food than they're used to, and to present as novel and innovative and especially unique to him things other chefs are doing and have been doing for a while.

*Funnily enough Apache isn't considered to make great mash, apparently better used for roasting.
    http://www.manyfacesofpotatoes.com/uk/potato-varieties/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Pine cone essence I think it was.

I tried to get them but they sold out in about 2 hours at my local Waitrose.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    I love the advert, him telling some chefs in a kitchen to add more of this and that when really they're made on a production line by people in blue hairnets and white wellies.

I don't think Waitrose are claiming they aren't. They are probably claiming that Heston came up with the original recipes.
  • WhothamanWhothaman Posts: 463
    Forum Member

Ditto. I didn't like them either.
  • wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I bought some last weekend. I love mincemeat... ah, not long till Christmas!

Anyway, they taste a bit fake - oversweet and too citrusy. Stuffing orange, lemon and grapefruit peel into your mouth and chewing would be less citrusy than a nibble of one of these pies. There's something unnatural going on there.

I think they have pine sugar on them. They were too sweet already so I didn't bother with it.

My mum thinks these are the best that you can buy - needless to say, I disagree.
  • ecco66ecco66 Posts: 16,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it does! I have one in my fridge and I'm looking forward to it now
    Hmm, I've not tried that. I'll pop in later.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I tend to steer clear of Heston type stuff in Waitrose, he always seems a bit rarified for me, but I like their Easy to Cook range.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahj1986 wrote: »

I wouldn't ever class a ready meal as a treat!

At the end of the day, no matter whose face is on the box they're still just ready meals and are never going to be as good as something you've made yourself.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    I tend to steer clear of Heston type stuff in Waitrose, he always seems a bit rarified for me, but I like their Easy to Cook range.

Their herb crusted lamb from the easy to cook range is lovely, have some new potatoes and some chantenay carrots with it and it is nice meal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I tried to get them but they sold out in about 2 hours at my local Waitrose.

I went to buy some of these today but they never had had any. :( Either they've not arrived yet or the bloody things have sold out already :D

Bought some salmon and had a sandwich instead.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they tiny like other ready meals? I bought some ready meals once when I left my husband to his own devices for a week, he was eating two at a time and by day 3 he had no food left! Whenever I leave him now, I cook a load of stuff and freeze it for him so he doesn't starve!