Options

Kylie leaves Roc Nation & Parlophone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
Forum Member
✭✭
So it comes to be, Kylie is "looking forward to new adventures". So after a somewhat underwhelming couple of years (in terms of record sales) she is leaving Roc Nation and her record company of 16 years.
Let's hope that good things come of this.

Comments

• Options
    Matthew_Thomas2Matthew_Thomas2 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    How was she on two record labels at the same time? Don't understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was she on two record labels at the same time? Don't understand.

Roc Nation were her management company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mm just read that she has been working with Nile Rodgers - that could be amazing.:)
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is a good decision. It must be hard for an artists leave their label/management after so many years. They have a team around them who they know and trust etc. Things have been a bit stale for Kylie for a while now though...I think the problem has been the lack of promotion though and not necessarily an issue with the music (Aphrodite was great). I would love her to do a disco/dance album. If she really is working with Nile Rogers then this could be amazing.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    As a Kylie fan i'm not sure how I feel about this.

It's a totally fresh start which is quite exciting - particularly as it might lead to a whole new direction for her. (Impossible Princess Pt 2 please! :D)

However, sometimes changing management/record company doesn't solve anything. It's usually a case 'the grass is greener on the other side', but in reality it makes no difference. Her move from Terry Blamey to RocNation didn't achieve anything. Sometimes it's Better the Devil You Know (pun intended!v :p)
  • Options
    newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    As a Kylie fan i'm not sure how I feel about this.

It's a totally fresh start which is quite exciting - particularly as it might lead to a whole new direction for her. (Impossible Princess Pt 2 please! :D)

However, sometimes changing management/record company doesn't solve anything. It's usually a case 'the grass is greener on the other side', but in reality it makes no difference. Her move from Terry Blamey to RocNation didn't achieve anything. Sometimes it's Better the Devil You Know (pun intended!v :p)

A few years ago I would have been very nervous about this but suddenly I tend to think that only good things will come of it. If these "new adventures" include recording and releasing another album, I just hope she gets on with it, instead of spending three years experimenting.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never got why she signed with Roc Nation in the first place. Smacked of a mid life crisis to me. Glad she's left Parlophone though, they treated her quite badly I feel.
  • Options
    Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not look like the record company were happy with the sales of Kylie records.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought her joining roc nation would have resulted in some great material and popularity in the states at long last but her last album was very underwhelming

I was listening to the live at the hydro album this morning and at least she's not lost it in the live stakes. she's had ups and downs before and popularity jumped up after a low spell so she could do it again
  • Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    It does not look like the record company were happy with the sales of Kylie records.

I suppose they may have been disheartened she didn't sell more giving her high profile slot on The Voice but she was still selling more than a lot of artists half her age. Gaga's Cheek To Cheek only sold 10k its first week, Kiss Me Once sold 30k.

I think people and maybe even these labels have unrealistic expectations of what the likes of Madonna and Kylie can sell. Pop sadly is a young persons game, you can't expect a 15 year old to relate to someone over 40 but for what they sell they do good.
  • Options
    CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am glad she has taken this decision

I am excited what she will do next and the Nile Rogers collaboration makes my mouth water. That man is a god.

For me it has been her work outside her albums that I have liked best. Timebomb was great as was her work with Hurts and the Limpido song is terrific. The 4 tracks with Garibay were fresh and I listen to them a lot.

Sales don't bother me and I don't get upset by chart positions. I am happy to get any music and it is clear to me that Kylie loves it too
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally, she should have left them back in 2007 tbh.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    When Nile Rogers teamed up with Daft Punk for their last album in 2013 it was one the biggest things to happen to the music industry that year.

So to read that Kylie is working with Nile Rogers has me in two minds. Yes, the music might be excellent but will it sound too similar to tracks like Get Lucky and Lose Yourself To Dance.

Kylie needs to reinvent herself with a new style/sound that isn't like copying what other artists have done in the last couple of years. Most of all, Kylie needs another killer track. DS fans might rave over Into The Blue but it simply wasn't a strong single imo and yes, the record company messed up the single release as if they wanted the song to miss the top 10.

Kylie should be working with new producers who could become the next RedOne, or Timbaland or Guetta. We know what RedOne, Timbaland and Guetta sound like. Search for something different and create a commercial gem and Kylie could easily have another Spinning Around moment (doubt Kylie will ever have another CGYOOMH style monster hit).
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs another "Your Disco Needs You"
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    When Nile Rogers teamed up with Daft Punk for their last album in 2013 it was one the biggest things to happen to the music industry that year.

So to read that Kylie is working with Nile Rogers has me in two minds. Yes, the music might be excellent but will it sound too similar to tracks like Get Lucky and Lose Yourself To Dance.

Kylie needs to reinvent herself with a new style/sound that isn't like copying what other artists have done in the last couple of years. Most of all, Kylie needs another killer track. DS fans might rave over Into The Blue but it simply wasn't a strong single imo and yes, the record company messed up the single release as if they wanted the song to miss the top 10.

Kylie should be working with new producers who could become the next RedOne, or Timbaland or Guetta.
    We know what RedOne, Timbaland and Guetta sound like. Search for something different and create a commercial gem and Kylie could easily have another Spinning Around moment (doubt Kylie will ever have another CGYOOMH style monster hit).

Maybe Timbaland, but no on the others. Kylie shouldn't need to rely on producers current. I can imagine people scrutinising her for trying to be young and down with the kids, and also, those producers are hardly that fantastic themselves. RedOne has only ever worked wonders with gaga, his other productions are questionable. Guetta is the worst thing ever to have happened to dance music along with Calvin Harris. She should head to sweden. Amazing producers out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    She needs another "Your Disco Needs You"

That's the last thing she needs. It would make her a laughing stock. She needs another Confide in Me. Something with a bit of class.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    That's the last thing she needs. It would make her a laughing stock. She needs another Confide in Me. Something with a bit of class.

Why would it make her a laughing stock?
    It would remind people of what peak Kylie can do
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Why would it make her a laughing stock?
    It would remind people of what peak Kylie can do

Because despite being a great pop song, it's also incredibly cheesy and will only suggest to the world that she really hasn't grown up.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Your Disco Needs You" wouldn't work again. It worked back in 2000 because she was trying to shed her indie image and was re-inventing herself as the Europop princess. Now she needs something a bit more with substance.
  • Options
    PEARLY331PEARLY331 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe she's returning to 'NEIGHBOURS'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know a lot of people didn't rate it but I thought X was the last truly great album Kylie did. Aphrodite was good but not amazing and Kiss Me Once is her worst ever with some of the worst songs of her career (Sexercise? Really?). I hope changing management and labels will mean some better stuff from her. I've always loved Kylie and always will her output has been very disappointing for a while.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    Maybe Timbaland, but no on the others. Kylie shouldn't need to rely on producers current. I can imagine people scrutinising her for trying to be young and down with the kids, and also, those producers are hardly that fantastic themselves. RedOne has only ever worked wonders with gaga, his other productions are questionable. Guetta is the worst thing ever to have happened to dance music along with Calvin Harris. She should head to sweden. Amazing producers out there.

That was my point. :p

I meant Kylie needs to avoid working with well known producers. I do like the idea of Kylie working with unknown producers in Sweden as they're so ahead of the game when it comes to pop music. :D
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    I know a lot of people didn't rate it but I thought X was the last truly great album Kylie did. Aphrodite was good but not amazing and Kiss Me Once is her worst ever with some of the worst songs of her career (Sexercise? Really?). I hope changing management and labels will mean some better stuff from her. I've always loved Kylie and always will her output has been very disappointing for a while.

I would agree with you that X was her last great album. Aphrodite was ok but a few years to late and seemed like a step back, Kiss me Once although I admit I like some of the tracks it just didn't come together as an album. Kiss Me Once Tour seemed rushed and thrown together and missed the bigger production although being at the concert I felt it was one of her best performances live. She really looked like she was enjoying herself but not sure how that will translate to DVD. It might seem a bit lacklustre. It was also most probably her weakest set list on tour.

I agree it's time for a change as I think she has done what she can with parlophone. Taking more control is what is most probably right. Kylie like Madonna are never going to have huge sales again might have an odd fluke chart hit but thats fine as less than 1% of artists will have a career as long as successful as them. Also both artists have saturated the market with tours over the past 15 years and it has shown with Kiss Me Once Tour and Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour. The demand is no longer there for mass market sales as it's just another tour.
    I'm a huge fan of Kylie and Madonna and been to all the tours but even now I don't get excited about them anymore as you know another 2 years another Tour and album.

A break for 5 years might do her good and then people will be a bit more excited again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's hope she leaves music as well !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    Also both artists have saturated the market with tours over the past 15 years and it has shown with Kiss Me Once Tour and Madonna's Rebel Heart Tour. The demand is no longer there for mass market sales as it's just another tour.
    I'm a huge fan of Kylie and Madonna and been to all the tours but even now I don't get excited about them anymore as you know another 2 years another Tour and album.

A break for 5 years might do her good and then people will be a bit more excited again.

This is such an excellent point.

I do think some artists are touring so much that it's not that special when they hit the road again. I remember when there was a four year gap between Madonna's Sticky and Sweet and MDNA tour and it was so good to see her back. Kylie tours so often that I think she spends too much time doing that and nowhere near enough time on making stronger albums. I appreciate touring is where the money is for artists now but I would rather have fewer albums that are strong and less tours than more tours and weaker albums.