EE - the end of the Slaters?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Since the year 2000 the Slaters have been a major family in EastEnders, involved in some of the major storylines of the show. Even when Lyn, Zoe, Kat and Little Mo left Walford, Stacey, Sean and then Jean moved in to take their place.

But with Sean now gone, and Jean off the square, are we witnessing the gradual end of the Slaters as major players in EE?

Charlie and Little Mo might be EE stalwarts, but their not exactly in the thick of the action, and rarely figure in major storylines. (Nor would I want them to really).

Yes Stacey is still a major character in the show, but technically she's not even a Slater now, she's a Branning.

After 8 years, have the Slaters faded away to be replaced by newer families, like the Foxes and the Massoods?

What do we think?

Comments

• Regina MitchellRegina Mitchell Posts: 4,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder why Mo's other kids arent mentioned. They would be Pats nieces/nephews.
  • oysterfrondoysterfrond Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    I wonder why Mo's other kids arent mentioned. They would be Pats nieces/nephews.

There was a rumour going around that Mo's relatives were going to join the cast, but it was dismissed as nothing but that, a rumour. However, there's always the possibilty that they may surface at some point and I don't doubt that Santer et al are keeping their options open even if there are no plans at present to feature them.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    Hope so, bored of them.
  • muppeteermuppeteer Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably finished if they keep it as it is, but I'm guessing that Jessie Wallace and Kacey Ainsworth are likely to return at some stage and re-establish the Slaters on the square. Not sure about Elaine Lordan or Michelle Ryan (unless the work dries up completely).

As they are, I can't see them thriving. I love Stacey but not sure what other new Slater family members they could bring in around her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muppeteer wrote: »
    Probably finished if they keep it as it is, but I'm guessing that Jessie Wallace and Kacey Ainsworth are likely to return at some stage and re-establish the Slaters on the square. Not sure about Elaine Lordan or Michelle Ryan (unless the work dries up completely).

As they are, I can't see them thriving. I love Stacey but not sure what other new Slater family members they could bring in around her.

I too suspect that Jessie Wallce (Kat) and Kacey Ainsworth (Little Mo) will return at some point, but not now, im guessing they would say its too soon.

According to Wikipedia, Big Mo has a son called Billy Harris, a daughter called Jean Harris, both of which would be Pats nephew and neice. They, or at least their children could be intoduced into EE.

Also lets not forget Belinda, the 'other' Slater girl... she could be introduced full time...
  • MarkiebMarkieb Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bleaney wrote: »
    Since the year 2000 the Slaters have been a major family in EastEnders, involved in some of the major storylines of the show. Even when Lyn, Zoe, Kat and Little Mo left Walford, Stacey, Sean and then Jean moved in to take their place.

But with Sean now gone, and Jean off the square, are we witnessing the gradual end of the Slaters as major players in EE?

Charlie and Little Mo might be EE stalwarts, but their not exactly in the thick of the action, and rarely figure in major storylines. (Nor would I want them to really).

Yes Stacey is still a major character in the show, but technically she's not even a Slater now, she's a Branning.

After 8 years, have the Slaters faded away to be replaced by newer families, like the Foxes and the Massoods?

What do we think?

Er its Big Mo
  • Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat will be back at some point, its an absolute certainty imo. Not so sure about Little Mo - to be honest I wouldnt really care for her coming back, she got very tedious in her last year. I think it all depends on timing though - if Lacey Turner were to leave anytime soon, and Jessie didnt sign back up, the Slater's would be toast, which is a shame, because I do like Big Mo :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    how would big mo's kids be pats neice and nephew? must have missed that...mo was with pats brother then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evamoo wrote: »
    how would big mo's kids be pats neice and nephew? must have missed that...mo was with pats brother then?

Yes, Mo was married to Jimmy Harris (Pats brother) and they had 2 kids. However, Mo had an affair and ended up pregnant so the marriage ended.

The child that Mo had from the affair was Viv, who married Charlie Slater, so none of the Slater girls are related to Pat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »
    Kat will be back at some point, its an absolute certainty imo. Not so sure about Little Mo - to be honest I wouldnt really care for her coming back, she got very tedious in her last year. I think it all depends on timing though - if Lacey Turner were to leave anytime soon, and Jessie didnt sign back up, the Slater's would be toast, which is a shame, because I do like Big Mo :p

I always figured though, that Jessie Wallace (who plays Kat) wouldnt want to come back without Shane Ritchie (Alfie).

Seeing as Shan Ritchie is just about to star in the new series of Minder, I doubt he wants to return anytime soon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be so awesome if Jesse Wallace came back.... even without Archie.. I mean there are story lines that would allow it......he could get caught fro dogy dealings and be put in prison... so Kat coems back.. but she would nto cheat on him so there would not be a romance theme- but so many other routes to take... LOVE to see her back..
    Stacey used to idolose her didn't she... would love to see how a grown uop and in charge of the slater house stacey would now interact with Kat.... and enders has just never been the same since she left.....
    I do wonder if she ever sees her daughter though... they could easily recast if the original Zoey did not wish to return.
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jean is only leaving for a few months, but it does underline how precarious the Slaters now are.

This week we actually saw them actually interacting as a family for the first time in ages They have been somewhat disconnected from each other till this week. The Mitchells, Brannings, and Beales are the main families, followed by the Foxes and Massoods in the "second tier". The Slaters have gone from the top of the pile to the bottom.

Lacey is very much the lynch-pin now, if/when she leaves it will bring about the end of the end of the Slaters (unless Jessie returns). The Harris family could be brought in but that would not be a continuation of the Slaters more a new family in effect.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think the slaters as a big family have had their day, its a pity charlie & mo dont get much, I dont rate brenda as a love interest for charlie shes so bad, but he needs a girlfriend or new wife or they need to loose him as hes wasted. its about time we saw fat elvis for mo's sake, but i cant stand zoe and lynn was a bore, but i dont think they should start bringing them back.
  • moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The child that Mo had from the affair was Viv, who married Charlie Slater, so none of the Slater girls are related to Pat.

I thought that Mo had Viv when she was 15? Remember that spin off they did with Pat and Mo when they were younger? Im sure Mo said she'd Viv at 15, then she married Pat's brother and had twins.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mo's kids could enlarge the family, also bring back Belinda, she had potential
  • untouched-sinuntouched-sin Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Mo's kids would be Harris' anyway, not Slaters, since a Slater is on Charlie's side.

And in answer to the question, No, if that was the case the the Mitchell's are at their end as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moonbaby wrote: »
    I thought that Mo had Viv when she was 15? Remember that spin off they did with Pat and Mo when they were younger? Im sure Mo said she'd Viv at 15, then she married Pat's brother and had twins.

youre right! sorry yes, i knew though that viv wasnt related to Pat, and I think Mo did end up having an affair, which ended her amrriage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mo's kids would be Harris' anyway, not Slaters, since a Slater is on Charlie's side.

And in answer, No, if that was the case the the Mitchell's are at their end as well.

???? There are LOADS of Mitchells in EE at the moment!

Yes technically they would be Harris', not Slaters, but they would still be part of the same family umbrella (like the Butcher-Jacksons).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Slaters. Its a mistake to let them go. It would be like writing out the Mitchells.
    Forum Member
    ???? There are LOADS of Mitchells in EE at the moment!

Yes technically they would be Harris', not Slaters, but they would still be part of the same family umbrella (like the Butcher-Jacksons).

Now perhaps they are, but there was far less Mitchell's previously, compared to Slater's, all it takes is for them to magic out a couple more Slaters, like Mitchell's.

To stop anyone pointing it out, I know Ronnie and Roxy were mentioned before, I just mean that they could do it, such as they did with Jack Branning.
  • JOHNORJOHNOR Posts: 3,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why does stacey call big mo "nan" if they are no relation?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now perhaps they are, but there was far less Mitchell's previously, compared to Slater's, all it takes is for them to magic out a couple more Slaters, like Mitchell's.

To stop anyone pointing it out, I know Ronnie and Roxy were mentioned before, I just mean that they could do it, such as they did with Jack Branning.

Oh I see what you mean now... yes the mitchells were a bit thin on the ground before Ronnie & Roxie arrived, but with their ownership of the Vic and their long history of nearly 20 years in the soap means their positions are a lot more secure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JOHNOR wrote: »
    why does stacey call big mo "nan" if they are no relation?

She asked Mo if she could when she first moved in with them all. Zoe, Little Mo and Kat were still around then, so everyone called Mo 'Nan'.
    Forum Member
    Oh I see what you mean now... yes the mitchells were a bit thin on the ground before Ronnie & Roxie arrived, but with their ownership of the Vic and their long history of nearly 20 years in the soap means their positions are a lot more secure.

Did the EP not say his favourite character was Mo, so I think it's safe to say the Slaters are also protected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the EP not say his favourite character was Mo, so I think it's safe to say the Slaters are also protected.

That wasnt the point of this thread, Mo might be safe individually, but what i mean is I think the Slaters as a collective will now not feature as a 'main' family in EE, like the Beales, Mitchells and brannings etc... which means they could go the same way as the Millers and the Truemans...