Amazing Race 17 - FINALE

CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't wait to watch this later!!! Yay!

Go on Nat & Kat, though I'll be happy with a Brooke & Claire win too!

Comments

• rowdyprincessrowdyprincess Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched and a great result but not my favourite final ever, it was too predictable with no surprises
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I have to eat my words of what I said in the last leg.:D Good outcome to a good series, I really enjoyed the mix of teams this year.
  • steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    Oh I have to eat my words of what I said in the last leg.:D Good outcome to a good series, I really enjoyed the mix of teams this year.

Terrible Final but the best team overall won. Tho i really wish they would eliminate any type of taxi from the final leg

Also maybe ban the phrase "good job" from the next season too? Really gets on my nerves!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steve9999 wrote: »
    Terrible Final but the best team overall won. Tho i really wish they would eliminate any type of taxi from the final leg

Also maybe ban the phrase "good job" from the next season too? Really gets on my nerves!

Agreed, along with the continuous screeching that bugs me so much "Come on Babe,you can do it" etc.

I haven't watched the last 5 series,because I got tired of the formula and although I've enjoyed this series,and I was so glad the doctors won,I cant say it's wooed me back.

Mind, the gorgeous Phil is one reason it's always worth tuning in for.:o :p
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought overall it was a good finale (not great, but good nonetheless), the weak spots being the fairly random float decorating task and the lack of dramatic tension (the edit made it clear Nat and Kat were going to win, imho), however, that aside, there was plenty to enjoy here: there were some dramatic moments around the bungee jump (bravo to those that conquered there fears, why could they not have made Flo do something like that in season 3 though?) and I thought the final task was a clever one, though obviously had it been closer it would have been better from a dramatic perspective.

Jill and Thomas' meltdown in the cab was remarkable, i feel they just both cracked under the pressure there, and all common sense went out of the window! It's also astonishing they had a cab driver who didn't even know what the internet/google was (or was it a language barrier, who knows?) but they really have only themselves to blame, because they could and should have asked the driver to take them to a good hotel and then ditched him after using a computer there.

As for the ending: how lovely it was to see Nat and Kat win, they have been a joy to watch this series and are great role models to women around the world for their intelligence, bravery and good humour. Very deserving winners. Great runners up to, Brook and Claire have been a wonderful team that has made me smile all series long, and there never say die attitude is a credit to them (even though i think they were a lot further behind Nat and Kat than they tried to make it look in the edit). Girl power Amazing Race style, how wonderful to see the top 2 teams being F/F!:)

And even Jill and Thomas, in spite of being less interesting than most teams this series are basically decent people, i don't mind them at all though they were my least prefered winners of the 3.

What I have loved about this season, and this finale in particular, is that for the most part teams have had respect for each other and for their partners (obviously the odd exception here, which is why I say mostly), and i think that has made it the best season for me since season 7, along with the fact that the tasks on the whole have been stepped up a gear in terms of difficulty and originality.

The final for me was probably a B-, the series as a whole a B+.

Looking forward to the next series in Feb, I like that rather than selling it as just an all stars 2 it's about giving teams that deserve it, for one reason or another, another chance...:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »

Mind, the gorgeous Phil is one reason it's always worth tuning in for.:o :p

Phil just gets more attractive with every passing year...i'm wondering if he has a self portrait in his attic....;)
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So happy for Nat and Kat. One of all time favourites. Loved Brooke and Claire too:D

Have to say I've loved this series mainly because all the teams were generally nice.

Really hope Luke and Margie aren't in the next All Stars. My least liked team ever:mad:
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good finale to a good season! :D It wasn't the most dramatic, but I feel that the last challenge they were hoping all teams to get there to make that, but it didn't happen.

They shouldve made them all be in the town or picked a location where they could do some serious running to the destination with the 3 clues - to Quixote - rather than a taxi...

I suppose they tried to make it harder by switching the pictures every now and then. They should've had the pictures move place aswell :D

Glad Nat and Kat won. I'm not bothered that they bet Brooke and Claire. Both would be amazing winners :)

And awwww!! Miffed that the final lineup wasn't revealed and they showed so many teams in the montage for next season xD I read the line up anyways, but awww :( I would've liked some of those teams shown in!! xD :D

Hope next season's just as good! :D
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good finale, but not a lot of tension. Great to see a female team finally taking the win, I would have preferred Brook and Claire, but Nat and Kat deserved it. :)
  • CwejCwej Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rare my favourite team wins (Tammy & Victor and Uchenna & Joyce are the only others I can think of), so I'm really pleased with this outcome. I would have been happy for them OR Brooke & Claire to win - this was pretty much my ideal order for the 3.

The episode was a bit boring to be honest, but the ending more than made up for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    It was a good finale, but not a lot of tension. Great to see a female team finally taking the win, I would have preferred Brook and Claire, but Nat and Kat deserved it. :)

But no one feels the season was stacked?. I alluded to this a few weeks back and reading other forums other people are saying the same...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 'stacked'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cwej wrote: »
    What do you mean by 'stacked'?

I guess this guy sums it up over at Sucks best

zaphrella wrote:They stacked the race with weak teams so that a female team wins. That's not much of a victory. Now if they had won against some alpha males then that would be historic. This is just...lame. At least the Docs can get their med school bills paid off with a head start on their malpractice insurance.

It just shows how stacked the race has to be for everyone else for a F/F team to finally win. 3 Alpha F/F teams, 1 Beta F/F Teams, 3 horrible M/M teams, one good Alpha Couple, 3 Beta Couples. Kind of disappointing. But oh well, at least it's over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zaphrella wrote:They stacked the race with weak teams so that a female team wins..

what a load of cobblers, quite frankly. :rolleyes:

after all these years, finally we have a f/f win and rather than give them credit for it, some people have to try and knock their victory. Pretty sad of anyone to be doing that.

I think if the show wanted to orchestrate a f/f win they would have done so LONG before now!

Besides which, there were more strong teams this year than in the last few seasons i think, just so happens that two of them were f/f
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    what a load of cobblers, quite frankly. :rolleyes:

Really i noticed the weak teams early on...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really i noticed the weak teams early on...

there were some weak teams, but there always are, there were also some very strong teams, more than the last few years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    So happy that Nat and Kat won, cool, calm collected, strong women mentally and physically! :D Never snapped at each other once so nice for nice people to win. Again great to have my fave team win nearly every season they finish 2nd!

Brook and Claire were hugely entertaining this year with bundles of charisma hoping we will see them again, great to see both f/f teams making the top 2. Jill and Thomas were a really strong team and i didnt want them to win but were a decent dating team rarely getting angry with each other but snarky comments to each other kept me amused. Felt bad for them as they lost all composure in the taxi.

Overall loved this season, great location, tasks and more importantly a great diverse and likeable cast which made for great tv. Really disagree this season was in f/f favour, 3 strong couple teams, unlucky mallory and gary and the princeton boys looked good on paper.

Definitely my fave season since TAR 12 and the ending cemented that. I thought the promo looked awesome for next season and even though I know the teams competing cant wait to see where get taken.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Just looking at wikipedia at the notes for each season cant believe it took til TAR12 til a dating team won guess they're ignoring the fakers Eric and Danielle.

Finally a female/female team won, now it has got to be time for a parent/child team to win and seeing the cast hoping we do!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there were some weak teams, but there always are, there were also some very strong teams, more than the last few years.

Jill & Thomas good team. Tho Jill seemed weak

Nick & Vicki idiots, plus Nick was a nasty sh*t
    Still cannot believe they never U turned Kat & Nat even after saying how strong they were in the previous episode

Chad & Stephanie average team...mostly mid placed

Gary & Mallory My favourites but were never going to win. Old guy and small young female

Michael & Kevin...Michael the weakest man on earth?
    The guy could hardly throw a stick!

Katie & Rachel strong team on paper

Nat & Kat Strong team on paper

Brook & Claire...Tho i wasn't Brook's biggest fan she was a fit strong female...Claire like Jill was the weaker member of this team

Connor & Jonathan...Yep intelligent guys but neither seemed as fit as Nat & Kat Katie & Rachel
    Certainly not an alpha male team like say Tyler & James from season 10. Or numerous other MM teams you could name

Andie & Jenna Stunt casting never gonna go far

Ron & Tony Fat bloke never gonna win...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scott14 wrote: »
    S Really disagree this season was in f/f favour, 3 strong couple teams, unlucky mallory and gary and the princeton boys looked good on paper.

Agreed, looking at the results table on wiki, i would say that most of the teams were competitive at least some legs of the race...and five different teams won at least one leg.

MIchael and Kevin and Nick and Vicki might be seen as being weaker than there finishing postions reflect, but let's not forget that the former almost won a leg (and indeed should have done) and after a poor start the latter proved to be a fairly tough nut to crack until their penultimate leg, which effectively killed them off.

I wouldn't call Chad/Steph, Gary/Mallory, Connor/Jonathan or even Katie/Rachel weak teams either,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill & Thomas good team. Tho Jill seemed weak

Nick & Vicki idiots, plus Nick was a nasty sh*t
    Still cannot believe they never U turned Kat & Nat even after saying how strong they were in the previous episode

Chad & Stephanie average team...mostly mid placed

Gary & Mallory My favourites but were never going to win. Old guy and small young female

Michael & Kevin...Michael the weakest man on earth?
    The guy could hardly throw a stick!

Katie & Rachel strong team on paper

Nat & Kat Strong team on paper

Brook & Claire...Tho i wasn't Brook's biggest fan she was a fit strong female...Claire like Jill was the weaker member of this team

Connor & Jonathan...Yep intelligent guys but neither seemed as fit as Nat & Kat Katie & Rachel
    Certainly not an alpha male team like say Tyler & James from season 10. Or numerous other MM teams you could name

Andie & Jenna Stunt casting never gonna go far

Ron & Tony Fat bloke never gonna win...

I don't agree with the majority of you analyse, beyond the first two that were eliminated actually.

Also, your bringing people's personality's in to it, which is utterly irrelevant, Nick being a "nasty sh*t" is meaningless.

Michael was not physically strong, but he was smarter than most of the cast and if his son had listened to him they would probably have lasted to the top 4.

You seem a little obsessed with alpha males, as though physical strength is the only thing that constitutes being strong in racing terms, which is quite flawed really.

Anyway, not going to waste any more time on this, a strong team who happened to be made up of two women won this race, and good on them. They deserved it. No one fixed it for them. they did it themselves. No help required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree with the majority of you analyse, beyond the first two that were eliminated actually.

Also, your bringing people's personality's in to it, which is utterly irrelevant, Nick being a "nasty sh*t" is meaningless.

Michael was not physically strong, but he was smarter than most of the cast and if his son had listened to him they would probably have lasted to the top 4.

You seem a little obsessed with alpha males, as though physical strength is the only thing that constitutes being strong in racing terms, which is quite flawed really.

No what i said was alpha male teams in the past have been strong and smart. We haven't seen a team like this for a while. Not that i want to see anymore because they did tend to steamroll the race in the past and it became boring. I am just pointing out that i believe there wasn't many strong teams in the race

Anyway, not going to waste any more time on this, a strong team who happened to be made up of two women won this race, and good on them. The deserved it. No one fixed it for them. they did it themselves. No help required.

Actually Nick being a sh*t is not meaningless at all. As it had a big affect on the team. Most people have have said (and i agree) Nat & Kat were the most supportive of each other throughout the race. And this always helps...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not at all i was pointing out in the past we have had strong MM teams who were also smart. Now i can understand TAR not casting teams like this because in the past they did steamroll the race and make it boring

I am just saying this season you had 2/3 out and out strong FF teams and no strong MM teams imho
    But of course you can say the reverse for previous seasons...Strong MM teams and just Eye Candy FF teams. So swings and roundabouts
  • RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott14 wrote: »
    Just looking at wikipedia at the notes for each season cant believe it took til TAR12 til a dating team won guess they're ignoring the fakers Eric and Danielle.

Weren't
    Flo and Zach or Freddie and Kendra
    dating?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair on Steve (even though I disagree with some of his assessment), the fact is that alpha Male teams have dominated - 7 all-male teams have won, as opposed to 1 all-female team - and I think that more all-female teams have actually been cast than all-male. So whether it is the case that only 'physical strength' that matters is irrelevant - men do better at the race, full stop. (And in Amazing Race Asia, 3 of the 4 winning teams have been all-male too).