Options

Popping the question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

I just wanted to canvas opinion on whether or not it's best to propose with a ring when popping the question, or choose one together? Part of me thinks it's more romantic to go out and buy the ring first, but some friends have put me off the idea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buy the ring i would
  • Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about: go shopping with her and 'accidentally' wander past the window of a jeweller's. Look at the watches and bracelets, and casually amble down past the rings, see what she says. She'll go "Oooh that's a nice bracelet/watch/ring". Make sure you window-shop in lots of different types of shop, though, so you disguise what you're doing:D

I seem to recall that being the way to canvas your lady's opinion on the style of rings she likes. I don't know if it's still done, though.

Edit: sorry, I forgot to add my opinion on your question. I think getting the ring first is the done thing and is more romantic. If you get her opinion on the type she likes by doing the above, it'll work out. :)
  • Options
    BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I just wanted to canvas opinion on whether or not it's best to propose with a ring when popping the question, or choose one together? Part of me thinks it's more romantic to go out and buy the ring first, but some friends have put me off the idea.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Propose what with a ring?
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't buy the ring.
    My first husband proposed with a truly awful ring which I had to keep as he thought it was wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    How about: go shopping with her and 'accidentally' wander past the window of a jeweller's. Look at the watches and bracelets, and casually amble down past the rings, see what she says. She'll go "Oooh that's a nice bracelet/watch/ring". Make sure you window-shop in lots of different types of shop, though, so you disguise what you're doing:D

I seem to recall that being the way to canvas your lady's opinion on the style of rings she likes. I don't know if it's still done, though.

Edit: sorry, I forgot to add my opinion on your question. I think getting the ring first is the done thing and is more romantic. If you get her opinion on the type she likes by doing the above, it'll work out. :)
    Good idea! Thanks for the tip
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Don't buy the ring.
    My first husband proposed with a truly awful ring which I had to keep as he thought it was wonderful.

I've got very good taste thank you very much!!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Can't you use a Hoola hoop for the proposal then take her out to buy the ring together? Or some kind of round crisp/sweety thing. :)
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea! Thanks for the tip

completely ignore everyone else's comments then
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Can't you use a Hoola hoop for the proposal then take her out to buy the ring together? Or some kind of round crisp/sweety thing. :)
    I echo the above advice - I enjoyed ring shopping (ooer missus!) and I wouldn't have liked to have my engagement ring chosen for me.

Also, using a hula hoop allows for said hoop to be removed from the ring finger orally - which could lead to much fun. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    completely ignore everyone else's comments then

Sorry mate, thanks for your input:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    I echo the above advice - I enjoyed ring shopping (ooer missus!) and I wouldn't have liked to have my engagement ring chosen for me.

Also, using a hula hoop allows for said hoop to be removed from the ring finger orally - which could lead to much fun. :D

A friend of mine did this, except he used foil and made it into a ring! :D

Thanks for the suggestion, something else to mull over.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oops did I spell it wrong? :D
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't noticed - I was just thinking of having said hoop removed.....:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doesn't mean it's the same as hers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't mean it's the same as hers.

Well all the other jewellery I've bought her as gone down very well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hadn't noticed - I was just thinking of having said hoop removed.....:D

Well it is friday night after all Deb. Have fun. :D:D;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well all the other jewellery I've bought her as gone down very well.

Do what you like then.
    You should have originally posted "I'm going to buy a ring and propose. Only post here if you agree with me".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do what you like then.
    You should have originally posted "I'm going to buy a ring and propose. Only post here if you agree with me".

Chill out! :cool:
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buy a ring!!! Far more romantic.

But keep the receipt or make sure you like the ring enough to wear it yourself in case she says no. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Buy the ring. But don't be offended if she takes it back. But to be honest, if you buy a simply ring with a diamond or two she really cant complain.... unless its a £10 piece of crap
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly it depends on the couple, only you know what shed rather do. My best friends fiancé got it spot on, but a different friend refuses to wear the one her girlfriend picked saying 'let's keep it safe'

Personally id rather he chose it, if im going to marry him I'd like him to know me well enough! Saying that though, id probably drop quite a few hints through the relationship to help, like how I wouldn't want a trilogy because what was meant to be my last engagement ring was...has she ever said anything that gives you an idea of what she wants?
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about this; you take her to the jewellers, propose outside (while looking in the window perhaps) then take her inside to choose a ring?
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about this; you take her to the jewellers, propose outside (while looking in the window perhaps) then take her inside to choose a ring?
    That's if she says yes...
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would propose, and buy the ring together.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buy the ring i would

Yoda?
  • Options
    evie squeezyevie squeezy Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    My husband asked me to marry him with a ring box with the words will you marry me in the bottom and a hotel room booked in Birmingham so we could go to the jewelry quarter and choose together xx