Supervisor publicly naming and shaming you

PopadopalousPopadopalous Posts: 705
Forum Member
✭✭
So I went in to work today after a few days off and I looked on the notice board in the staff room. There was a large notice written by the supervisor with a bold headline saying 'Naming and Shaming'.

The notice says a few other bits but the main point is that she wrote 'I'm publicly naming and shaming Popadopalous for the following error he made'.. then it explains what I did wrong.

I only made a small mistake but I'm furious at the fact that she has gone out of her way to write this notice and pin it to the board for all to see. Surely it would have been more professional to discuss the issue with me privately.

Anyhow, I want to know if this would violate any employment laws? I'm not really clued up on that sort of stuff so I hope someone here may know. I'm going to be speaking to her next time I see her to tell her how out of order it was to try and shame me in front of my colleagues.

Thanks!

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I'm not a lawyer but iIf part of a wider problem, it may used as evidence for constructive dismissal if you feel you're put in this position. Possible harassment at work as well.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    Your sort of lose credibility by coming on here with this publicly rather than discussing it with her in private.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one-off event I don't think would violate any law that I can think of, however if it's part of a larger pattern you may have a case to raise a grievance for bullying in the workplace.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a lawyer but iIf part of a wider problem, it may used as evidence for constructive dismissal if you feel you're put in this position. Possible harassment at work as well.

The important thing if you even suspect there might be a possibility of this happening is to document everything. Take a picture of the notice and the noticeboard, keep copies of any memos, emails, letters (smartphones with cameras are great for this) so that if you ever do need to make a claim at a tribunal for unfair dismissal, constructive dismissal, harassment etc you will have evidence to back it up.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is pretty shocking actually, I would be furious too - is there a HR Manager you can approach? I don't know about breaking any laws but I am pretty sure this isnt in the 'How to treat employees professionally' guide.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO it's unacceptable. You can start by asking to have a word in private to tell her what you think of this and ask why she feels it's ok to act in such an unprofessional way. If you're not happy with the response then raise a formal grievance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I've had something similar to this occur in my old job, albeit with the manager.

Document the notices and speak to your supervisor. If that fails then escalate it.

It would have absolutely been more professional to discuss this issue with you privately.
  • ste likes boobsste likes boobs Posts: 677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You go by the name popadopalus in work too?
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should name and shame the bitch in exactly the same way for being immature and unprofessional.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not have a quiet word. Send an email, make sure all communications between you and your supervisor are documented. Take a picture of the notice too. I know what I'm talking about - I was compromised out of job once because management dealt with a situation at my work very badly to the point where it was impossible for me to continue working there. I left with a very healthy 5 figure sum. This is not right. If there are issues with your work, these should be dealt with on a one to one basis.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I went in to work today after a few days off and I looked on the notice board in the staff room. There was a large notice written by the supervisor with a bold headline saying 'Naming and Shaming'.

The notice says a few other bits but the main point is that she wrote 'I'm publicly naming and shaming Popadopalous for the following error he made'.. then it explains what I did wrong.

I only made a small mistake but I'm furious at the fact that she has gone out of her way to write this notice and pin it to the board for all to see. Surely it would have been more professional to discuss the issue with me privately.

Anyhow, I want to know if this would violate any employment laws? I'm not really clued up on that sort of stuff so I hope someone here may know. I'm going to be speaking to her next time I see her to tell her how out of order it was to try and shame me in front of my colleagues.

Thanks!

No employer would ever dare do that . It just wouldn't happen

Companies have disciplinary procedures which have to be followed by the book..

If they are not, the firm can get into hot water...

Imagine walking into the break room at Tesco and there was a notice saying a certain individual had put the beans where the spaghetti hoops should go

It would never happen
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member

Thanks!

This didn't happen did it!
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    The one-off event I don't think would violate any law that I can think of, however if it's part of a larger pattern you may have a case to raise a grievance for bullying in the workplace.

It didn't happen,

But if it did ever happen in a work place it's bullying and even as a one off is cause for immediate dismissal. There are work place laws to prevent this, an evey company will have a set of procedures to follow if an employee has made a mistake.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same a a manager walking into a team meeting and having a go at one person in front if everyone else, wholly inappropriate.
    write whats happened and tell another manager
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    It's the same a a manager walking into a team meeting and having a go at one person in front if everyone else, wholly inappropriate.
    write whats happened and tell another manager

This.did.not.happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.did.not.happen

How.do.you.know?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    How.do.you.know?

because supervisors dont put notices up in the break room undermining an employee
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because supervisors dont put notices up in the break room undermining an employee

Just because they don't in your world, it does happen with inexperienced ignorant young supervisors in little companies that don't know better ...
    Training is the key and if people don't know what they don't know they assume they are doing ok? It's life......
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Take a photo of the notice.

Keep it safe.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    You can't say it didn't happen, even if it didn't it is very believable to me because some managers are just scarily DUMB and you tend to hear stories like this in the HR world. I mean people are still asking women if they intend to have children in interviews for crissake....

I would take a picture of the notice OP and follow it up with a formal grievance. She should not be allowed to get away with that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    You can't say it didn't happen, even if it didn't it is very believable to me because some managers are just scarily DUMB and you tend to hear stories like this in the HR world. I mean people are still asking women if they intend to have children in interviews for crissake....

I would take a picture of the notice OP and follow it up with a formal grievance. She should not be allowed to get away with that.

lets see how the op gets on then, Monday morning, op needs to speak to his immediate manager(not supervisor) and take it from there..

if it has happened, im pretty sure she will be suspended immediately..

so keep us posted op
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being humiliated In front of colleagues is classed at bullying in the workplace. Considering this was headed as Naming and Shaming then the manager can't really get away from the fact they have been guilty of bullying. Of course any decent manager will know this so wouldn't dream of putting up such a notice. If the manager did do this then they are incompetent and need to be reported. Performance issues should to be dealt with discretely and professionally.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Take the notice down
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member

You obviously work in a far nicer environment than many then. Lots of bosses are great I'm sure, but many are bullies who intimidate and humiliate, thinking it will motivate their staff...how wrong they are.

OP, as others have said, document this well. Take photos of the sign in situ, email to the person concerned with the photo attached saying this is unacceptable behaviour and CC the main boss. Good luck.
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This didn't happen did it!

So you really think that someone just made that up for the sake of a post count?

There will be rogue managers, supervisors out there that just aint got a clue on how to speak to, or communicate with staff. Couple that with maybe some frustration on their part that the staff are not doing as well as they should, can lead to people forgetting whats right and wrong and targeting individual members of staff 'publicly'.