Options

Self service checkouts (again)

Comments

• Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I started using them when they first started, and never use anything else now.

They really are very simple to use, and those that resist them should just spend a few minutes of their time using them, you will learn how to use them very quickly.

Like others have said, even if there are problems with them there is always a member of staff on hand, and they can fix them in seconds.

If there are not enough staff around, then that's the fault of the store/management, and not down to the machines.

They most definitely are much faster, and hardly any queing at all. My local Sainsbury's has just corralled them altogether in one closed off are, and they seem to move much faster now.

However, I have a co op that has them as well, it's not a very large store and they only have about 5, but the area for putting your scanned items is tiny.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I suppose this counts as a classic 'first world problem'.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I just ask the girl to get someone on the till

Poor girl is probably all there is.

Cheap bastards are always cutting back at my store we now have only ONE customer service associate on Mondays & Tuesdays because they are our least busy days and this is a way for them to cut costs. And when i say one for the whole store i mean one. The poor person is expected to know the whole store! from Baby Nursery to Automotive.

It's just ridiculous.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always use the SS unless I have unpackaged fresh fruit or veg. I'm dyslexic and get panicked trying to remember where in the alphabet my fruit and veg are :blush::D

Wont use it when I have age check items when in the small Asda either as they never have enough staff to man them so have to wait longer than if I were in the other checkouts.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I don't mind using self service checkouts and rarely have a problem.

However, I do tend to avoid using them if I have age restricted items to purchase, and will choose a 'proper' checkout to pay for those kinds of items.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    So, you "can't be bothered" to spend less than 5 minutes to learn how to operate a simple machine but you can be bothered to walk to a completely different supermarket and re-do your entire shop? Surely that's far more effort.

I hate slow people and dawdlers. The way I look at it is that I prefer to spend my time doing things that are fun and enjoyable, shopping and other chores aren't fun and enjoyable so should be completed as quickly as possible to allow more time for fun and enjoyable things.

As for the self service checkouts, I love them, I think they're up there with Sky+ and smart phones as one of the best inventions of recent times. I never have any issues with them. Even better is the "Scan as you shop" that our local Tesco has, everything is scanned and packed as you go round the store, then you simply pay and leave. So much quicker and you get the added bonus of a running total of how much you've spent and handy reminders of any special offers. I can't remember the last time I used a manned checkout.
    Well that's fine, you must operate in a way that suits you.I will operate in a way that suits me,but you being quick and efficient has little or no affect on me, whereas my behaviour could have an affect on you. :D
  • Options
    Mrs RiversMrs Rivers Posts: 214
    Forum Member

As for the self service checkouts, I love them, I think they're up there with Sky+ and smart phones as one of the best inventions of recent times. I never have any issues with them. Even better is the "Scan as you shop" that our local Tesco has, everything is scanned and packed as you go round the store, then you simply pay and leave. So much quicker and you get the added bonus of a running total of how much you've spent and handy reminders of any special offers. I can't remember the last time I used a manned checkout.

Like so many others, you have fallen into the trap that supermarkets set for you, because it suits them. You are not being paid to scan your items. Checkout staff are. You might think it's quick and simple.. fun to use, but personally, I'm not working for nothing, when others are being paid to do the same.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Well that's fine, you must operate in a way that suits you.I will operate in a way that suits me,but you being quick and efficient has little or no affect on me, whereas my behaviour could have an affect on you. :D

I was once in a queue behind someone who, let's say, felt the same as you do.

It was quite obvious he was going deliberately slowly, so the checkout operator started serving around him and handing people their goods instead of sliding them down to the other end of the checkout.

He vainly tried to continue taking his time,but when she started serving the third person, he must have realised that his go-slow was an abject failure and threw the rest of his shopping in his bag and stormed out :)
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago our local Sainsbury's removed some of the manned checkouts and replaced them with self-service ones. Now there is always a queue to use the self-service checkouts BUT one whole bay of self-service checkouts is always closed. The staff use them to store their paperwork, random baskets of stock etc. So they've reduced the number of manned checkouts but replaced them with unused self-service ones, thus increasing the queueing time for customers.

Why would they do this?
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    That is my problem with them, yes they are convenient, but all it does is take jobs away from people.

As most technology has done for centuries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It depends what time you shop, Tesco deliberately reduce checkout staff off-peak because demand isn't high enough. But I think it's general policy to leave a least one checkout open...
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I don't mind using self service checkouts and rarely have a problem.

However, I do tend to avoid using them if I have age restricted items to purchase, and will choose a 'proper' checkout to pay for those kinds of items.

That makes no sense to me - it takes a matter of seconds for a staff member to remove any security tag on such items and scan it.

I could not imagine queuing up just for that...surely it would take longer than getting someone at the self service till to scan the item for you?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Rivers wrote: »
    Like so many others, you have fallen into the trap that supermarkets set for you, because it suits them. You are not being paid to scan your items. Checkout staff are. You might think it's quick and simple.. fun to use, but personally, I'm not working for nothing, when others are being paid to do the same.

Yeah!! Stick it to the man!!! How dare they expect ME to work for THEM and not get paid. Bastards!!!! Hanging's too good for 'em etc etc.
  • Options
    NoShitSherlockNoShitSherlock Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Yeah!! Stick it to the man!!! How dare they expect ME to work for THEM and not get paid. Bastards!!!! Hanging's too good for 'em etc etc.

Indeed, I would have to agree with your sentiments and same for the SS retards, may as well have a complete clear out, might lessen the queue volume overall.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So how are you posting on here since 2002?

with a cable link........an actual cable running from a modem into my computer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was once in a queue behind someone who, let's say, felt the same as you do.

It was quite obvious he was going deliberately slowly, so the checkout operator started serving around him and handing people their goods instead of sliding them down to the other end of the checkout.

He vainly tried to continue taking his time,but when she started serving the third person, he must have realised that his go-slow was an abject failure and threw the rest of his shopping in his bag and stormed out :)
    Oh, I don't deliberately set out to go slowly at the checkout, I realise there are people waiting behind me, but I go at a pace that allows me to do it calmly without rushing, have to say I care not a jot for the sighing ones and the shuffling ones behind me.
    I was told by a Sainsbury's checkout girl, that not allowing a customer to finish their transaction, including packing, before serving the next customer was cause for a verbal warning.

I wonder what folks do with all this time they 'save', probably sit at a computer posing on forums... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    or posting even...
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Rivers wrote: »

Do you abstain from using cash points outside of banks too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're pretty much up on computing though so what's the difference?

Well I guess the difference is that I absolutely have to use a computer as I'm self employed and over the years all my work has migrated onto the internet.

Even then I only do what I need to do.........

And I don't 'need' wifi or self service tills
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, you "can't be bothered" to spend less than 5 minutes to learn how to operate a simple machine but you can be bothered to walk to a completely different supermarket and re-do your entire shop? Surely that's far more effort.

Yeah........but I already know how to walk so that no bother really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I guess the difference is that I absolutely have to use a computer as I'm self employed and over the years all my work has migrated onto the internet.

I don't think you should need to justify yourself.If you don't like and have no interest in new/current technology then that is your choice and as valid as everyone else's choices.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bless. You should embrace technology rather than be fearful of it. You may even find it benefits you.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just can't be bothered learning how to do it

You scan an item, you put it in the bag. You scan the next item, you put it in the bag. You scan the next item, you put it in the bag. And so on, and so on, and so on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    You scan an item, you put it in the bag. You scan the next item, you put it in the nag. You scan the next item, you put it in the bag. And so on, and so on, and so on.
    he/she doesn't want to.

It's not obligatory.

Yet.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    he/she doesn't want to.

It's not obligatory.

Yet.

I didn't say it was...