Options

Weight Watchers

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
Forum Member
Hi :)

Does anyone have a copy of a weight watchers points chart? and a brief explanation of how it works?

I have never been on a diet before but have started to notice I have been slowly putting on weight for the last 6 months :mad:

I am not really sure how it works, and have been looking up calorie contents online and have had a shock! But I hear weight watchers is the best way to shift it.

I just want a good way to shed some pounds I guess, I know that to lose weight you need to eat healthy and to get exercise, but am after a rough chart I can use as a starting guide.

Is such thing even legal? ie getting a points chart without joining weight watchers? I cant find one on their website, perhaps that is why, and if so please dont post it, I dont want to get myself, or anyone else into trouble.

Thanks in advance,
xx

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - I do have a WW book with loads of points values in it but it would take an age to get them all to you!

I lost 45lb in 6 months at WW so it does work.:)

I can give you a rough formula to work out the points value though.

Have a look at the nutritional values on the packet.

Divide the calories by 70.
    Divide the sat fat by 4.
    Add the totals together.
    (If the sat fat isn't shown divide the total fat content by 2 then use this figure instead).

So, atm I am eating a pack of WW tortillas. The calories are 77 per pack and the sat fat is 0.3.

77/70 = about 1
    0.3/4 is hardly worth mentioning! Therefore each pack is worth 1 WW point.

0 point foods are most veg, but not potatoes, swede, sweet potatoes. As a general rule 100g potato = 1 WW point. So a 300g jacket spud will = 3 WW points.

Don't forget to count milk in your tea/coffee and swap to 0 point sweeteners instead of sugar (if you usually have sugar). I always use Fry Light to fry rather than oil.

The number of points you need depends on your weight and gender - if you'd rather not post your weight on the board PM me and I'll look it up for you when I get home. Any other help just ask.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have done WW for years on and off. It always works but I can never get to the goal I always get 1 lb off and then that puts me to a spiral the other awy. I always wanted to be a gold member as the meetings are free as long as you keep within 5lbs of the goal weight and to me thats a big thing to keep you going forever.

Over the years I have notices the points are a bit more lenient. And think it can be less effective now than it was. But thats only because I exercise hard and they don't cater for muscle that I build up (weight training)
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did ww but found slimming world easier as you can eat more on it :) ww points you for all fruit and veg, where as you can fill up on this on slimming world
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WW doesn't point you for all veg - carrots, butternut squash, courgettes, broccoli, cauli, onions, mushrooms, any type of green bean (fine, French, runner) are all 0 points (plus loads more but I've got veg block atm!)

But I've never tried Slimming World so I won't knock it! I found WW very easy to stick to and the weight dropped off me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    In my opinion the WW method is easy to follow - but they do like you to join up & pay the subs & buy all their publications.

- try looking for their recipe books in charity shops & on ebay, they have some excellent, really tasty recipe ideas to try, which help make a 'calorie controlled' diet a little less boring.

The bottom line is that all foods have a 'calorific value' & sensibly limiting total calories eaten, combined with appropriate exercise, is, I think, generally the best way to manage weight gain due to fat deposition??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1060102&highlight=weightwatchers

You may find some help on this thread - and there are some recipes on there too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much ladies and gents.

That is really helpful, a rough guide is all i am after.

My BMI is 26, i am 5'8" and I weigh about 13 stone, I am a size 14 all over, never 12, sometimes 16 depending on the clothes, and just want to shift a few extra pounds.

Thanks again x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Your BMI would be more like 28 than 26 at that height and weight
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://raybat-thedietblog.blogspot.com/

Here is a blog about my effort on WW diet if anybody wants to have a look n maybe follow prehaps you you can relate ?

Im lovin WW well with all diets there is good n bad days but I found SW n syns etc confused.com so chose WW as my diet of choice.