Options

No more Jonathan Harvey episodes thanks Corrie

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
Yesterdays episode was painful to watch for me - I never enjoy his episodes, he seems unable to do subtle camp which the other writers seem to be able to manage.
The whole show yesterday was a bad farce, cringeworthy dialogue, ridiculously hammy acting from Kate Ford, Simon Gregson, Kat Kelly, even Patti Clare who ALWAYS excels for me - fell flat with her Americanisms, a few of the actors seemed embarrassed to be in it.
People on here blame the actors - but I blame the writing - they can only work with what they have been given, it was bloody awful, the worst episode of Corrie for MONTHS.
Close the door on the way out Jonathan - although you won't be going anywhere thanks to the gay mafia that run the show!

Comments

• Options
    Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all got ridiculously camp when Rita started miming over a montage. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sally Linz wrote: »
    It all got ridiculously camp when Rita started miming over a montage. :D

Indeed, it was badly mimed, Barbara Knox miming to David Essex does it get any camper, I'm surprised they didn't have 4 poofs and a piano on back-up mime - U2's All I Want Is You was heartfelt, this was atrocious.
  • Options
    Sally LinzSally Linz Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah the montage at the end of Tram Week really resonated. This didn't.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sally Linz wrote: »
    Yeah the montage at the end of Tram Week really resonated. This didn't.

Because this montage was following Christmas day, where as the tram crash one was following a week of heartbreaking drama

I thought the writing was great, and Jonathan Harvey has wrote some serious episodes this year
  • Options
    CJWALKERCJWALKER Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but do you have a problem with gay people? Do you discriminate against camp! Because i thoroughly enjoyed the script, only let down by Kate Ford awful acting!

Jonothan Harvey is one of the best writers corrie has!
  • Options
    billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy most of the Harvey episodes .. Yes, there was some cheese, with Johnny Mathis and David Essex, but i will forgive him that.

What he always adds is a sense of history ... Always a reference to Corrie past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    billio wrote: »
    I enjoy most of the Harvey episodes .. Yes, there was some cheese, with Johnny Mathis and David Essex, but i will forgive him that.

What he always adds is a sense of history ... Always a reference to Corrie past.
    Last night had some fantastic call backs

Mary on the piano - Hilda Ogden's exit
    Rita signing - a reference to the days when she used to sing
    Tracy's nicknames for Ashley and Claire dragged up by Claire
  • Options
    boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonathan Harvey is a great writer- he's also responsible for one of my favourite sitcoms- Gimme, Gimme, Gimme with James Dreyfus and Kathy Burke.:)

He always wrote killer lines for the legendary Blanche Hunt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJWALKER wrote: »
    Sorry but do you have a problem with gay people? Do you discriminate against camp! Because i thoroughly enjoyed the script, only let down by Kate Ford awful acting!

Jonothan Harvey is one of the best writers corrie has!

No, I'm gay myself - I just think that he should stick to writing bad sitcoms like Gimme Gimme Gimme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Last night had some fantastic call backs

Mary on the piano - Hilda Ogden's exit
    Rita signing - a reference to the days when she used to sing
    Tracy's nicknames for Ashley and Claire dragged up by Claire

As you may know, I'm a huge Corrie fan - I just think he's the weakest writer they have at the moment, he's like a 3rd rate Daran Little (who they need to re-hire ASAP)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    As you may know, I'm a huge Corrie fan - I just think he's the weakest writer they have at the moment, he's like a 3rd rate Daran Little (who they need to re-hire ASAP)

I think he's much better than Daran now, he knows Corrie like the back of his hands, plus, who would you rather have writing? Simon Crowther?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think he's much better than Daran now, he knows Corrie like the back of his hands, plus, who would you rather have writing? Simon Crowther?

I loved to love Daran Little's episodes - far superior to JH - I guess we'll have a agree to disagree.:D.
    I'm not familiar with the writers individually - I just know when I think an episode has been OTT camp with dialogue people wouldn't say in everyday life - just put there for laughs, I skip to the beginning of the episode and it's usually JH named as writer.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I loved his script last night. He's one of my favourite writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the contrary the soap seems a lot more true to northern life when Jonathan writes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On the contrary the soap seems a lot more true to northern life when Jonathan writes

Canal Street Northern?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canal Street Northern?

No, North West northern
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, North West northern

Oh right
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the closing montage. It was beautiful.

So what if Barbara Knox was miming ... this is Corrie, she is an actress. A tram didn't really crash, Becky Hindley wasn't really hit with a hammer, Barbara didn't really sing.

It's fictional. Pretend.

PS: She wasn't "miming to David Essex" ... it was a David Essex song, not his vocals in the episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just remembered the nativity star...I nearly brought up my dinner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I loved the closing montage. It was beautiful.

So what if Barbara Knox was miming ... this is Corrie, she is an actress. A tram didn't really crash, Becky Hindley wasn't really hit with a hammer, Barbara didn't really sing.

It's fictional. Pretend.

PS: She wasn't "miming to David Essex" ... it was a David Essex song, not his vocals in the episode.

Obviously...I don't think anyone's thought she was miming to his voice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered the nativity star...I nearly brought up my dinner

Perhaps you ate too much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you ate too much

You don't seem to like Corrie criticism today??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't seem to like Corrie criticism today??

It's not that, I just can't see how a star can make you throw up :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not that, I just can't see how a star can make you throw up :D

Oh okay, it's hard to tell mood in a post....I did say nearly :D- a less obvious nativity looking bright star would've been lovely - or a shooting star....but the one they used was awful - like something from a kids drama
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh okay, it's hard to tell mood in a post....I did say nearly :D- a less obvious nativity looking bright star would've been lovely - or a shooting star....but the one they used was awful - like something from a kids drama

Lol I should have put a smiley, as it could have sounded like a ":rolleyes:" sort of comment than a ":D" one

i didn't mind the star, it was a nice unxpected moment, though it did look as if it was the only star in the sky lol