Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Wasn't this the same clock he was working on at the end of S5E6, after Louisa walked out? I think the mainspring was broken....... there's a metaphor here somewhere, I feel sure.

The significance of the clock was hinted at by the scene when Mummy comes to the consulting room....she said she'd wondered what happened to that....he said...it was the only thing of Joan's that had any value. If not for that interchange the clock would be a moot issue. It seems that conversation endows it with meaning. I think folks here are right.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    "If I can get it going again, it could be very valuable." That statement could also apply to his marriage.

Yep! Well spotted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Yep! Well spotted.

Bodmin, I deleted my post because, upon watching again, I heard DM say "quite valuable" instead of "very valuable." Here in the US, they mean the same thing, but I have been advised that in the UK, they mean the opposite.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Yep! Well spotted.

Yes -- that's also what I meant.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Mona - I was discouraged to read this post (didn't quote it all).you, of all people, who saw many good qualities in Dr. Martin Ellingham as you have posted in the past and tried to be somewhat like him in your profession as a doctor. Please hang in there with the rest of us. Once you see the entire S6 you will understand why BP, especially MC, wanted to take this route. He is a very complex, difficult person, bringing forth much bad baggage from his youth.

Thanks, Marchand, for your concern. That's very kind.

Yes, I've loved loved loved DM, the show and the character, in the past but I admit it was a conditional love. I can't/won't love the show no matter what; there has to be the excellent writing and enjoyment it's brought to me before.

I get the whole "baggage" thing from his youth. We all do. This is not any new info. It's old info, just still being played out in very similar ways as in the past. I'll be there Monday night watching like all of you, hoping the finale can give me a reason to keep being the rock solid fan I have been. I hope that happens!
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the brain aneurism repair that DM was studying on the computer in e2 or 3 will have any significances in e8?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    I wonder if the brain aneurism repair that DM was studying on the computer in e2 or 3 will have any significances in e8?
    You're right, it might be. If it is and if they really planned it that way, then all the foreshadowing details in this show are truly scary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, Rob, you forgot to include "handsome and sexy" on your list! :p;):)
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Men. They always want a cat fight. Sighs. :rolleyes:

With a mudpit as well? :):)
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    The significance of the clock was hinted at by the scene when Mummy comes to the consulting room....she said she'd wondered what happened to that....he said...it was the only thing of Joan's that had any value. If not for that interchange the clock would be a moot issue. It seems that conversation endows it with meaning. I think folks here are right.

A clock is so symbolic--time running out (Martin's father, his own sense of not feeling well worries, his marital bliss, his not having time to do Sports day presentations, Mike being AWOL, Al trying to catch hold of his life).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, Rob, you forgot to include "handsome and sexy" on your list! :p;):)

A new DM fan told me same thing. Since she is a woman, and so are many of you, and I am a mere straight man, I bow to the collective of XX sex chromosomes...

Rob
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    With a mudpit as well? :):)

Just for you, rob, we'll order one right up! But really, the old girls??;);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    A new DM fan told me same thing. Since she is a woman, and so are many of you, and I am a mere straight man, I bow to the collective of XX sex chromosomes...

Rob

Wise choice, and on behalf of your wife, I am glad to hear it!
    ;):p:)

On a slightly more serious note, I am glad that you have never been scared off by the amount of estrogen here. I greatly appreciate your perspective here on the forum, and I have spent some time enjoying your fanfic too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paperchase wrote: »
    "Invigorated by confronting his mother, Martin tries to book a flight to Spain to get Louisa back. Whilst on hold he sorts through his mail and finds the scan of Louisa’s brain. He spots a malformation. The pressure in an airplane could trigger it to bleed and Louisa has recently taken anticoagulants. If the malformation were to bleed, she could suffer a brain haemorrhage. Martin tries to call Louisa to tell her not to get on the plane, but she thinks he is just trying to stop her leaving and hangs up on him. Martin has to race to the airport to stop her. " (ITV Press release)

Well, there is one highly significant, and hopeful, bit of information here (if the press release is accurate; sorry, but they aren't always): finally, DM is going after LE to win her back, instead of just standing there and watching her leave, as he has always done in the past. Let's hope this heralds the real breakthrough that we have all been awaiting for the past 6 seasons!
    That being said, I fear that our final scene will show DM talking to a comatose LE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Spoiler
    The video Martin was watching (where he tells James to "concentrate") was, as he says, removal of brain abcess, not an aneurism.

But I don't think it's a coincidence that BP included it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Sorry I didn't follow protocol in my previous post. It's my first post and I can't quite figure out how to do it properly.......so, my apologies to the Forum

Also how do you cancel a post you haven't yet sent? I don't see a cancel button!!!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NYDMFAN wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't follow protocol in my previous post. It's my first post and I can't quite figure out how to do it properly.......so, my apologies to the Forum

Also how do you cancel a post you haven't yet sent? I don't see a cancel button!!!

When you are composing a post and want to put something in a spoiler, look at the line of formatting icons just above the white space. At the very end is a faint S. Click on that, and everything between the SPOILER words will be in a spoiler box.

I haven't found a good way to just cancel your posting. If you get to it while you are still allowed to edit, you can go in and edit everything out, but you still have to have a few characters, so I just enter "deleted."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hi, NYDMFAN. Welcome to the group.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

QUOTE]

Welcome to the Forum !

No apologies needed; I think we are all spoilered out this series anyway

;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are still in the "reply to thread windows" you have to highlight all and back space.
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    After watching ep7 again I was struck by the last scene that occurred in Martin's kitchen. What I saw was:

1) The presence of his mother, the mother who's love he so desperately wanted growing up (but never got and doesn't want now) trying to communicate with him.

2) The flowers he is holding is from a woman who so desperately wants his love, but he does not want to communicate with.

3) The woman he so desperately loves walking away, knowing she is leaving him, and not knowing how to communicate with her.

So is he clinging onto JH or is JH clinging onto him. Also in the trailer for next weeks ep, he apologizes twice--once to JH and once to Louisa. He also stands there, watching the car drive away (he could have just gone inside) maybe hoping that it will stop and return back to the surgery.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Welcome NYDMFAN! How are things in my home state? Still get homesick a lot out here.

As far as "canceling" an unsent post, all you need do is navigate to another page---the website will "forget" all about your unsent post!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whale wrote: »

Thanks for posting this, whale.

Is my vision playing tricks on me, or does his hair look more blond than grey in that photo? I notice it is dated only 5 days ago.
This discussion has been closed.